This week's surprise Nintendo Direct presentation may have been all about new Switch games on the horizon, but the company also announced two new demos, now available for free in the Eshop. A demo is now available for Kirby Battle Royale on 3DS and one for Dragon Quest Builders on Switch is coming today. While it wasn't mentioned in the Switch presentation, Forma.8 is also getting a free demo.
Kirby Battle Royale is a tournament game where 1-4 players face off in local or online battles. There are 10 different battle modes and a host of abilities, along with a single-player story mode, where you uncover King Dedede's nefarious plan while unlocking abilities and battle types in the Cake Royale tournament. The demo lets you play three battles in the single-player and multiplayer mode, while letting you try out the Sword, Cutter, and Beetle abilities. The game will release on January 19, and you'll be able to transfer any coins you earn in the demo to the full game at that time.
Meanwhile, players will be able to try out a demo of Dragon Quest Builders on Nintendo Switch. First released for PS4 and Vita in 2016, it's a sandbox spinoff of the Dragon Quest series positioned as the series' answer to Minecraft. The game has a very blocky visual style, with your primary objective being to find materials to craft buildings and other objects in order to rebuild the world of Alefgard (the backdrop for the first-ever Dragon Quest title). When it releases on February 9, it will come with Switch-exclusive content, like the ability to gather special materials with the Great Sabrecub to unlock retro customization options.
Also coming today in a free demo for Switch, Forma.8 is Metroidvania-style action-adventure game with a cool visual style and a huge world to explore. It puts you on the surface of an alien planet, where you're stranded alone. Your mission is to recover a lost, powerful energy source while discovering lots of mysteries about the world around you. The full game was released for Switch in August.
Nintendo also dropped tons of Switch news during today's Direct, including a port of Dark Souls and new DLC for games like Super Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, and Pokken Tournament DX. For all the news and announcements, check out GameSpot's full rundown of today's Nintendo Direct.
- Watch Today's Surprise Nintendo Direct, Which Is All About New Switch Games
- All The New Switch Games Announced At Today's Nintendo Direct
- Dark Souls Remastered Coming To Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Switch Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze Port Announced, Release Date Confirmed
- Free Super Mario Odyssey DLC Update Coming To Nintendo Switch, Here's What It Adds
- Zelda Action Game Hyrule Warriors Announced For Nintendo Switch, With Breath Of The Wild Costumes
- New Mario + Rabbids DLC Makes An Iconic Nintendo Favorite Playable On Switch
- Nintendo Switch Re-release Of The World Ends With You Announced
- New Pokken Tournament DX DLC Brings Fresh Characters To Switch Version
- New Nintendo Switch Mario Tennis Game Revealed, Release Window Announced
- Payday 2 Nintendo Switch Release Date Confirmed