Forum

TOPIC: Language

Language 6 years 1 month ago #397785

• Redertainment
  • Level 6
  • Thank you received: 6
The conversation over the language that people should use is something that is debated in many forums. Language seems to be a frequent point of contention between the lovely Bridgette and the handsomely sexyman Esgee. I'd like to see what the audience thinks about how language should be handled, not only in podcasts but in media and society in general. My thoughts can be summarized here.
The 2006 Time Magazine Man Of The Year is currently working on It Was In A Coffee Shop.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Language 6 years 1 month ago #397792

• Burr
People should not shout to the world that they are a good, upstanding, moral person. Instead, people should just be good, upstanding moral people and let other people recognize them for their actions. Even if people do not recognize you for your actions, you should still do them because you feel that they are good. Shouting to the world that you are a good person is not something that a good person should do.

Totally agree with this, Redertainment.

I don't think Kitsune and I use much profanity on Cat & Fox, but we don't even really think about it. We just converse the same way we do off air for the most part. Besides, our show is already explicit enough in its content, LOL. So I think it's important to be more natural than self-conscious about what you're saying, though there's certainly nothing wrong with trying to improve your speech as often times profanity becomes a crutch.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Language 6 years 1 month ago #397795

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
For the most part the use of language is a personal choice. You can choose to speak and write with any language you deem fit. Personally I use language that is fit for the environment that I'm in. Usually when I write I stay away from profanity and when I'm in a business setting because I don't want any listener getting distracted from my point. Conversationally in person and in chatrooms I'm a bit more loose with profanity and bizarre statements. Creative use of profanity is fun to me.

In a podcast sense where you have multiple posts the choice of language is a bit of a different animal. I know podcasters that don't use profanity as a rule and their shows are very entertaining. I also listen to podcasts that use profanity that are entertaining as well.

It all comes down to compelling content and being honest about that content. That's why we have explicit tags right?

Also, be good for goodness sake. :)

Language 6 years 1 month ago #397803

• Esgee
  • Level 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Anyone who's listened to episode 109 knows where I stand when it comes to language. I respect Brigitte's stance on the matter and can see where she's coming from but I have a different view on it. I don't just look at the R9cast as a single entity, I take into consideration all of the shows on Allgames, with all the hosts, and the communities personalities to find a middle ground. I often use the "PG13" label in order to convey my position on the whole subject.

I agree with JoEDigiTECH, Burr, and Redertainment in that the use of language is a personal choice and there's a time and place for it. The words deemed inappropriate in media and the world are a ever shifting target. Years ago the words "ass" and "bitch" were not permitted on broadcast television but now exist in some prime time and late night programming.

I think we will briefly revisit this topic on this weeks show and hopefully not have a crazy battle of the spouses.

Language 5 years 10 months ago #398033

• Redertainment
  • Level 6
I've noticed something that pertains to the language that is used on the show. It seems that when Bridgette is not present, Esgee does not use as much harsh language as when she is around. An example is in Episodes 135 and 136.

In Episode 135, Bridgette is not present at all. In that episode Esgee plays several movie trailers, but makes a point to say that he doesn't want to play any of the red band trailers.

In Episode 136, Bridgette come in part of the way through the episode. Up untill that point, Esgee had not really used any harsh language. Once Bridgette makes her delightful presence known on the episode, Esgee brings up men getting their penises wet, presumably via a woman's vagina.

It seems to me that Esgee's approach to language changes whenever Bridgette is present. It seems that Esgee uses language to antagonize Bridgette and add conflict to the show. This is probably not something that Esgee does consciously, but the effect is nonetheless there. This effect might make for some interesting discussion.
The 2006 Time Magazine Man Of The Year is currently working on It Was In A Coffee Shop.

Language 5 years 6 months ago #398618

• Redertainment
  • Level 6
So today Bridgitte and myself has a dialog, through the comments section on my website, as well as through twitter, about language that was very productive and cordial. In addition to her thoughtful contributions, Bridgitte also said to me that she would like our comments posted in this forum.

Just Do It Comments

Here is a link to the comments themselves, but I thought I'd also copy and paste those comments here.

Bridgitte said...
Hi Redertainment,

Brigitte B here.
I was on your blog last week and think it is great. Just read your article which is very well written.

I agree that we should lead by example in the most humble of ways. Each person does that in a different manner.

For myself, I have said many times, that people in my life curse on a regular basis and I do not look at them any differently because of it.

I know their intent is completely harmless. In certain things, curse words have their place and make an impact accordingly. I take no issue with that.

Yes, I have been known to curse at times,and certainly am not holier than now. My preference is not to and I try to be conscious of it. It is not upsetting to me when anyone curses on chat.

Truth be told, it is my sincere belief that whether you curse or not has nothing to do with the kind of person you are. We all come from different walks of life that mold us.

I also understand, people are full of judgments and will see you however they wish regardless of the way you articulate yourself.

A better comfort level for me resides with a clean show. There are a few personal reasons for that.

Thank you for voicing you opinion on this. It is great to have free speech.

September 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Hunter Red said...
It's interesting how people with different approaches to language can have similar opinions about it.

This would make a great reply on the All Games forums.

September 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Language 5 years 6 months ago #398620

• BrigitteB
  • Level 1
Red, thank you for posting this. :cheer: