Forum

TOPIC: Xbox Game Pass Vs. PlayStationNow

Xbox Game Pass Vs. PlayStationNow 1 year 5 months ago #401188

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everybody!

Here's my comparison of Microsoft's Game Pass with Sony's PlayStation Now.

Background

Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation Now are subscription services where you can download or stream certain video games for a monthly or yearly cost. There were recent news about Microsoft expanding games available via its Xbox Game Pass subscription service. By contrast, to date, there have not been any recent changes announced in Sony’s PlayStation Now subscription services.

Cost of Video Games - Xbox Games Pass vs PlayStation Now

The similarity of Game Pass and Playstation Now as mentioned above is they are both video game subscription services, i.e., you pay a certain amount monthly to have access to specific video games. The cost of Microsoft’s Game Pass is $9.99 monthly compared to Sony’s PlayStation Now monthly cost of $19.99, with a yearly plan for $99.99. You can save on the PlayStation monthly plan if you subscribe for 3 months at a cost of $45.00; thereby saving about $5.00 a month.

Selection of Video Games Under Xbox Game Pass vs. PlayStation Now

If you subscribe to Xbox Game Pass, you have a selection of 100 video games to choose from. Even though you have more video game choices under PlayStation Now, the games are older. By contrast, Microsoft Xbox Game Pass toots more recent games that you have access to. In fact, recently it was announced the library of Xbox Game Pass video games will be increased to offer more recent games and some new games will be available for the subscription service on the launch date. Currently this feature will be available in the March, 2018 time frame. There is also talk of Microsoft partnering with GameStop later relative to a 6 month subscription service at a cost of $59.99.

On the other hand, PlayStation Now video games are playable on the PlayStation 4 and Windows PC. The Xbox Game Pass video games are not playable on the PC, but on the Xbox One and the Xbox 360. Sony may have the upper hand here, because to play their PlayStation Now subscription video games, you do not need to own a console, but can play games on a PC.

However, Microsoft Xbox Game Pass gives you the ability to download these subscription video games, which is not an option under PlayStation Now. Using PlayStation Now, you must stream video games. Sony’s Playstation Now does inch pass Xbox Game Pass in the number of video games available in their subscription service -- offering 600 video games compared to Xbox Game Pass 100 video games.

Competition Between Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation Now

Comparing the two subscription services can be like apples and oranges -- both have their pros and cons depending on the subscription service you are interested in. I think downloading a video game which you can do with Xbox Game Pass is an advantage over streaming because of problems you may have with your internet connection. However, the requirement not to own a PS4 and still have the ability to play PS4 video games on your PC is a huge advantage for PlayStation Now as well.

It’s Your Choice - Xbox Game Pass or PlayStation Now

Personally, since I prefer to use the PlayStation 4 console when playing video games, I lean towards PlayStation Now if I was going to use or pay for a video game subscription service. However, if you are a fan of the Xbox One, the Xbox Game Pass may be your choice. Regarding the Xbox Game Pass, I would caution you to be careful when choosing this plan and read the fine print should you decide to sign up for this subscription service.

Happy Gaming!

RealMsH

Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by RealMsH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.