Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249586

• blarg
  • Level 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249592

• zhorik
  • Level 1
blarg;249586 wrote: Thanks for the link. Quite a few prominent names posting on that thread too.

Response to Blarg 12 years 9 months ago #249595

• rtm
  • Level 1
Greetings Blarg: I see that you spotted my post on a different gaming-related forum, therefore no need for me to post the details here a second time. I am, indeed, the former TG staffer who until 12/12/06 was one of Walter Day's senior referees in charge of all incoming scores submitted to the record tracking organization known as "Twin Galaxies". At the very least my writing style will confirm this. As I am no longer a staff member of that organization, I am posting here strictly as an individual. This the views that you are reading are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organization with which I was formerly aligned. That said, here's what I can offer in addition to the wealth of information as discussed in the aformentioned thread. *****************************1st -for those of you unfamiliar with some of the first/last name combinations mentioned in the thread posted by "Blarg", some background may be necessary in order to realize that these are real gamers and among the elite of the elite. I mentioned "Chris Ayra", who until recently was the reigning world champion at the classic arcade title "Ms Pacman", and who still is to this day the world champion on "Berzerk". I mentioned "Darren Harris", who is the world champion on the arcade titles "Star Trek" and "Indiana Jones". Both Darren and Chris are among the world's elite "Ms Pacman" players at tournament settings and are among only a handful of gamers who, under those settings, reached the "kill screen". Also mentioned within the body of that article is another gamer named "Paul Dean". Paul, like Roy, had a score in question. I was the referee who was responsible for placing Paul's score into what is referred to as "hiatus status", meaning it is within the TG database but visible only to the referees. Only challenged scores have this status appended. Paul's score challenge was rescinded as we eventually determined, with substantiating information provided by Paul himself, and to this day I will stand by Paul's former score as being valid. Last but not least, I mentioned an individual known as "Johnny Zee". This was the proprietor of the arcade Roy allegedly achieved a 1.695M at TGTS (Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings). Johhny himself provided the final piece of testimony in the multi-year investigation and collation of evidence with regards to the score in question. Those are the gamers mentioned, now for some additional background.2nd - in my post on the aformentioned forum, I listed several key points with which a lay-person could definitely see that valid issues existed with respect to the question of validity of the alleged score. Rather than re-list those points here, interested parties should consult that forum. I make personal note of the fact that I posted that reply after 12/12/06 thus posted this as an individual and not an active TG staff member. As this is by and large a personal recollection of key points within this particular score challenge, I consider it the first time on a public forum that a comprehensive listing of the key factors in making the final determination of the validity of the score in question.3rd - of recent, Roy created his own alternate web-site in addition to his personal "comic book" website. In this site, he discusses why a "pentarhalon" performance is usually measured in terms of 100 waves as a good indication of a player's skill at a particular title. Whatever the exact verbiage may be, the gist of this point is close enough...100 waves as an indicator, and not 101 or beyond. Roy fails to mention that wave 100 with respect to "Missile Command" has a certain unique property about it. Top players, so I have been told by them, indicate that this wave is much harder in particular. And while I am not such an expert that I can quantify this difference precisely, I am sure that an expert such as Tony Temple, who has recently frequented this forum and specific thread, might elaborate. It is curious why Roy chooses to create a 100-stage/wave determining factor of skill as this is the make-or-break point in the game, especially at TGTS when a gamer is likely to be down to one (1) remaining city and thus will need to be extra careful not to lose their game in progress. But this is merely an observation and is in no way a statement that implies that Roy cannot pass wave 100. It is just a curious aspect of his alternate web-site's creation of a "pentathalon" category which never existed before in any capacity with respect to video games. Not that it ever needed to, as gaming organizations of this nature generally hold "decathlon" events (10 games).4th - Roy may try to come off as an individual who has been put thru the ringer in terms of trying over multiple years to get his alleged score recognized. I do not dispute that he is one of the most persistent people that you will possibly meet, but he does so in extreme fashion. Roy, to date, has harrassed multiple gamers across the past few years, most recently harrassing overses in the UK an Oregon-based gamer named Bill Carlton, a producer of a "Missile Command" based movie concerning Bill Carlton's quest for a marathon score, Jeremy Mack, and also pestering Bill's at-home girlfriend in the United States. Roy claimed, so Bill told me, that he indicated he had yet another score, a higher one, of 1.8M on tape. As is usual with Roy, no one has seen this tape. The amusing aspect of this is that Roy's alternate website is totally against submissions on videotape. That is quite hypocritical of him. Visit this site and you will also see mentioned his touting another MC score of 100 wave/1M on tape, as well as a recent performance by Steve Wiebe on "Donkey Kong" on tape. If he is going to go all-out to pan the use of tapes, then it is hypocritical to promote other scores achieved on tape. You can't have it both ways, Roy.5th - Roy tells people that he doesn't show up at Funspot for the annual NH event because people won't tell him what settings the game is on. This makes no sense. He showed up in Canada in 1985 without knowing what the settings were, nor could he have with the game keys not entrusted to anyone and with Johnny Zee never changing them from marathon settings. But he won't go to FS in the here and now because several dozen of the today's top classic gamers will be in attendance as well as multiple Twin Galaxies referees to make sure that all is according to Hoyle, as the expression goes. Roy actually did show up for one FS event, briefly, back in 2003, which was thankfully the one year since it's inception that I did not attend. During this event, he never so much as rolled the trackball in a real game attempt. Rather, he squandered the opportunity to hand out copies of his infamous "signed and certified documents". Most ended up where they truly belonged that day, from what I was told. Since then, Roy has passed on the opportunity to show up annually. I am fairly sure why one year in particular he would have had a problem, had he showed. That was the year where Roy, in one of his many phone conversations with me, tells me over the phone, and over interstate phone lines mind you, that I should relay a message to my then former Board of Directors member at Twin Galaxies that Roy wanted to challenge him to a boxing match in the FS parking lot so that they could settle things in that fashion. While I am sure that this little episode would make for an amusing anectdote for Roy to discuss on this internet radio talk show, issuing a veiled threat across interstate phone lines is not among the brightest moments for Roy, nor was a certain other threat,a much more serious one, launched against the same individual as placed to said individual's restaurant several years back. In short, Roy had a chance to show up and play his game, but instead he wants to turn an annual event into his personal venue for self-promotion and, in the case I just described, violence. Roy is as of late less concerned with practicing his game than he is with self-promotion, as evidenced by his recent attempts to ingratiate himself into a newfound target audience on the west coast. While they may become initially enamored with his colourul life anectdotes, and while they may be mistakenly sympathetic to his alleged plight, he does more talking than playing. His main competitor, however, recently showed up at FS in Nov/06 and played his heart out, scoring several times over 1M with a top score of 1.77M, the second highest verified MC score at TGTS in the world. Tony's on top of his game and shows up to prove himself to anyone who wishes to see. Roy hides behind his web-site. To use an appropriate analogy, when Al Bundy, late in life, constantly lamented about "4 touchdowns in a 1 game", at least he did it. In closing, while I may not necessarily frequent this particular forum, as I prefer to do most of my posting on one of three other gaming related sites as a matter of personal preference, I did feel the need to post here, especially seeing how (A) Tony Temple has already done so and (B) my recent thread from another gaming forum, which contains a lot of what needed to be said, was linked to this site. I encourage all of you to read that post carefully and sequentially. Knowing the inner workings of the title "Missile Command" is helpful especially, as I wrote my posting on a site where the average forum reader is well familiar with the inner workings of this title and of many others. One last note, also on a personal level. My recent voice-message comments left to Scott Rubin at the "AllGames" site apparently became fodder for discussion and wanton speculation on a recent broadcast which was brought to my attention after it had occurred by one of my fellow TG gamers. Readers of this forum should take note that my voice message was included without my consent...not that it required this as a matter of law, but this is indicative of a lack of professionalism. Had the proprietor of this site wanted to engage in a factual discussion, one could have been arranged thru a TG staffer as, when I left the voice message, my own involvement with TG had ended. Be that as it may, while my message was discussed on this radio station, Roy speculated that I was being made into some kind of "scapegoat" for the TG organization, potentially taking the blame for everything, and further that at some point down the line, that I would be returning to the organization. I can assure all here that such is not the case and I have no wish to re-join. I explained to my former "boss", if you will, Mr Walter Day, the founder and CEO of the Twin Galaxies organization, that I had invested approx 8,000 personal hours from 4/01/01-12/11/06 in my capacity of contributing editor thru 7/31/01, chief referee from 8/01/01 thru approx Aug/05, and senior referee from approx Aug/05 thru the conclusion of my tenure. During this tenure, I was not financially compensated on a weekly, monthly, annual or periodic basis for my services as a TG staff member, and the same can be said of my former colleagues. We did this for love of the game. My own 8,000 hours or so also came after my regular job had ended, so I was working, effectively, two (2) jobs for the better part of the last 5-1/2 years, one of which was done pro-bono. Dealing with average gamers with score submissions was the best part of my job. However, every job has it's down point, and in the case of my tenure with TG, there were a few points that were difficult to deal with, the most difficult of them would have to be my dealings with Roy. As an unpaid staffer, I was subjected to a minimum of 100+ hours of phone calls from Roy at both my home and business numbers. I can only hazard a guess as to the cumulative number of hours spent on his case, but if I were a lawyer, my bill to my client would have been exorbitant. I am guessing that the true number of hours is potentially between 150-200, but after awhile you kind of stop keeping mental track of it. Roy also pestered easily more than a dozen staffers and gamers, some associated with TG, some not. I won't mention their names here as they've been thru enough with him, but consult various archived postings from the TG site as well as older Funspot postings found in archive.org and many of their names will appear if you feel the need to be inquisitive. I am happy that I am done being pestered by Roy and that I now have absolutely no control, influence or remote involvement with respect to his validation of that alleged score, other than by personally stating my recollections on the originally linked other classic gaming website...and now here. Please read the points that I made on that site, and I challenge Roy to come up with a plausible explanation for each. he can't. When last confronted with the specific issue of how Chris Ayra and Darren Harris could not possibly have been simultaneously present at the 1985 event, Roy said that they were lying, as if this is some massive 20-year cover-up. Bottom line is that when faced with a hole punched into his story, he either changes his story or becomes otherwise belligerant and diverts the discussion to some other point. Some well known NYC activists use this tactic while engaged in their own fiery rhetoric...when your argument is weak, divert attention. Roy is practiced at this, it would seem. Ask him how, from one of the points mentioned, he did not call over any referee to witness his first five (5) million point turn-overs...ALLEGED million point turnovers, mind you...and only saw fit to call someone over to see the sixth. Makes no sense as per the reasons I mapped out in that thread. I gave one fact after another in that reply. Tony Templ provided more in his reply. And now the onus is on Roy to counter all of these facts and arguments with plausible replies and explanations, and not more rhetoric and conspiracy theories. The cards are on the table now, Roy...your turn.Robert T MruczekFormer Twin Galaxies referee

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249616

• agn
  • Administrator
Thank you Robert. All along we only wanted another side of this story. The continual refusal left us scratching our heads and wondering what there was to hide.As far as the phone messages, you said "no comment" and "talk to the lawyers". Then you called again saying you wanted to talk and had illuminating info to share. We tried to call again to confirm the time for the call when you left another message saying you had nothing to say and why don't we just search for the information. Well that sounds like a lot of double talk and made us even more curious why you couldn't just tell us what you have now revealed on your post.After reading your long write up, I too have doubt about Roy's score. No question the evidence is damning and is worth questioning more succinctly.Even if Roy only called Walter over to witness the sixth roll over, didn't Walter witness the roll, lending credence to his story?Also why didn't Johnny Zee say what he is now saying 20 years ago? If the record was so suspect, why did it take all these years for Zee to come clean?Can we talk to Johnny Zee, do you have a contact info?I appreciate your information and I'm sorry you feel we did you wrong on our show, but A. we're a comedy show about games and B. we tried multiple times to give equal time and opportunity to you, Walter, Tony and anyone else who had a contribution to make.
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249625

• blarg
  • Level 1
If the settings were never changed, rolling over the missile command machine while getting bonus cities (default settings) would be pretty easy for a skilled player. Robert's linked post on the other forum says Johnny was only tracked down early this year.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249626

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Hmmm...so we have the recollections of individuals of events that took place over two decades ago and we're relying on information supplied by parties who have had prior run-ins with Roy (and obviously don't care for him) as damning?I appreciate the detailed post, Robert, and appreciate your proper use of legal jargon. However, your reference to a "preponderance of the evidence" in your post over on the CAG forums is inappropriate. That is a legal standard, the so-called burden of proof (or burden of persuasion, take your pick) that must be considered by the fact-finder (be it judge or jury) in rendering a decision between two or more parties to a dispute. However, all that you have set forth here and in that other post is hardly analogous to any tribunal setting that I've ever encountered. The fact-finder should have both sides of the story when rendering her or his decision, and more importantly, does not actively seek out the evidence to support a particular pre-determined outcome...as you've apparently done so here.You can always find the evidence to support a particular answer (albeit with varying degrees of success), that's simplicity at its finest. If it weren't possible, there'd be no need for lawyers such as myself...and I'd likely be crying myself to sleep over "wasting" $60,000 on law school (although admittedly, I still tear up every once in a while looking at my student loan bills ;)). What I submit to you, sir, is that this gentleman pissed you off (and hell, I'd likely be pissed as well, given some of the stories I've seen), not to mention others with TG and the arcade community, and you subsequently set out to invalidate his long-standing record. Gee whiz, guys...I think my two-year-old little girl could do that with little or no effort, given her love for constant, repeated use of the "why?" question, ad nauseum. It happened over twenty years ago, and I've heard next to nothing regarding any sort of documentation one way or another. Not too difficult a task...You hopped on board with TG in 2001, correct? I'd love to hear why the inquiry was conducted in the first instance. I'd suspect that bad blood and mixed feelings played a substantial role in setting things into motion. A guy popping out of the woodwork and making a statement ultimately damaging to a person he kicked out of his arcade two decades ago is far from damning, in my opinion. But then again, perhaps my cool head and objectivity is getting the best of me again.All the best,P.G.R.p.s. back to putting together Christmas presents!!! :)

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249631

• blarg
  • Level 1
If we assume everyone is lying or has an agenda this is never going to get anywhere...

Last Posting 12 years 9 months ago #249635

• rtm
  • Level 1
To "Flavius": As this will be my last post on this forum, I'll have my last say. For starters, while I have posted facts, "Flavius" provides nothing but assumptions, requests for yet more information (I have provided ten facts thus far), and comes across as not exactly trying in earnest to get at the truth but rather accusing for the sake of accusing...a classic rabble-rouser, and I've seen this person's postings on the TG forum before the thread was moved. He/she said nothing of substance, and nothing positive or constructive. Now that's all I have to say about "Flavius". I have thus far posted approximately ten (10) facts concerning Roy's alleged performance from 1985. That's a lot, in my book. I need not post any more facts. After the facts were posted, not one fact was looked at individually and commented on as far as it being highly dubious, save for the comment about Roy calling over Walter on the 6th attempt, and further asking why if the 6th attempt was validated should it not count ? Two points there...first, why are you not concerned over the fact that the gamer in question opted not to call a witness over for the alleged first five million point attempts ? That is by itself a glaring question that begs to be answered. Next, Walter on the TG forum recently posted his own statement that indicated that he was mistaken when he originally believed Roy played at TGTS and that he witnessed a TGTS performance on that attempt. Walter saw a performance, all right, but it was not at TGTS conditions. There is no need for me to post further on this matter. Walter is the CEO of TG and had spoken on behalf of himself and thus TG. End of story there. The video game record keeping organization "Twin Galaxies", not unlike Guinness, has it's methods for validation and record challenges. Ever Twin Galaxies player must submit what is known as the Twin Galaxies "Player Submission/Agreement Form" which is presented in it's original format in Walter Day's first Book of Records. This policy was later supplemented in extreme detail in a thread currently residing on the Twin Galaxies forum. That policy holds true in spirit to this day. While I was still an active member of the TG staff, score challenges were handled by the staff, with input as needed from the player(s) in question, our array of consultants and experts per title, and any new evidence that comes into play. The challenge process itself is done internally, and generally speaking is a fair process in my opinion. Roy had dealings with Walter Day and his staff before I came onboard. It was only since the late 2001/early 2002 era did Roy step up his campaign. He didn't seem to mention to you how it was Roy who approached me first, did he, over the phone ? Let me recap the beginning of my dealings with Roy. I had never heard or seen Roy before, but was aware of some ongoing score challenges and score disputes already in place. Roy's TGTS score was one of them. It was an open issue, and when I joined, Walter's staff was small, perhaps 4-6 people or so, and many open end issues remained unresolved due to either lack of time or staffing. At some point, the precise date I am unsure of as it has been awhile, I received a call from someone claiming to be a newspaper reporter interested in the Bill Mitchell poster from 1999. The person specifically was interested in why "Missile Command" was included, and further why Bill Mitchell was voted later on as "Player of the Century". I did not know this at the time, but this was Roy, who later admitted after several such calls to initially contacting me in this fashion. Former TG staffer and senior referee Mark Longridge who dealt with Roy can confirm this. Roy kept pushing the matter, and his on-the-phone tone started eventually to become increasingly angry and confrontational. It became apparent that Roy was exhibitting a classic case of professional jealosy about Bill Mitchell and his achievements, and his recent (at the time) award of "Player of the Century" by the president of NAMCO. As for the poster, it was a collection of scores that Bill simply wanted to see if they could be beaten. Some scores claimed from the golden era were grandfathered in as Walter explained in his first book, and the goal was to see if any were potentially bogus. Some claims were successfully met, such as the ones for "Arkanoid", "Tutankham", "Dig Dug", and some scores later were proven to be more than do-able such as "Carnival". Roy's score was simply one of maybe 10-20 in total, and he seemed to want to make more of it than it actually was. Be that as it may, his campaign of harrassment continued, and the old issue of confirming the validation of that particular score was revisited. The process of collecting information began, slowly but surely. Over the years, an accumulation of evidence was collected from various sources...gamers from the 1985 event, technical manuals and information, the full story of how Roy actually bullied his way into the Guinness Book of 1985, how he managed to get the mayor of Ottumwa Iowa to sign his document as well as why he had Walter Day and Steve Harris sign that document as well as who the third signator was supposed to be but did not sign so Roy approached the then-mayor and gave a BS story about putting Ottumwa on the map if he signed this and Roy made it into the Guinness book. But that's another story and I will not go into this one further as we are strictly talking about Roy's alleged score here. Anyway, the data piled up, as did the supporting testimony that Roy could not possibly have accomplished his score on TGTS conditions at that event. The word "years" is significant as the player submission/agreement form has a specific clause governing the duration of a score challenge. Generally it is a one year period. In all fairness Roy's case was evaluated extensively over a multi-year period by several staff members. He was given more than a fair break in this matter. Walter Day recently posted the final say on the TG forums, and that's all she wrote. "Flavius", you contribute little to this discussion. Scott asked for details, and while I might have posted them on another site, they are here now for all to see, plus a bit more. Debate the details if you will, and stop WASTING TIME debating my use of the word "preponderance". Twin Galaxies has a "Board of Referees"...that IS the jury that decides on score challenges and the like. That mechanism need not answer to the likes of you in terms of justifying whether they are best suited to adjudicate over a score challenge or not, or whether a third party should do so. Like I said earlier, TG has a mechanism with which to address score challenges and disputes, not unlike Guinness. On that note, take up your same issue with Guinness on ANY record you think is potentially false, and see if they deign to respond. Try it and see. So, here is where I am leaving the "AllGames" forum.-> I have provided approximately ten (10) different facts to debate and consider, all of which are compelling to varying degrees, but when evaluated collectively as a whole pose an overwhelming source of evidence against Roy's possibly accomplishing a 1.695M at TGTS during that particular competition-> Scott, thanks for your response. I wish you well in your continuing pursuit of this matter. At this point, youi should ideally be researching information with assistance from TG or other interested parties as I have said all that I will on the matter. You asked for explanations, and I have given a good two typed pages or more of explanations...as a gamer, mind you, and not as an active TG staffer. You can accept my recollections and facts, or reject some or all in their entirety. The choice is ultimately yours, but I stand by everything I have already stated.-> "Flavius", at least I do not hide behind a username. I have identified myself with my full name. I do not post conjecture, only the facts as best as I can restate them from memory. After dealing with this for several years, now, I am very familiar with the facts and trust that my recollections are accurate with respect to this specific matter. Further, "Flavius", I do not see the need in further justifying anything I have said to you in particular. I find your approach to getting at "The Truth" to be unconstructive at best. At least Scott is interested in the facts that I had presented. Well, that's it for me on the subject matter. I'm not sure I will even post again on this subject matter on the other forum linked within this thread as I pretty much have stated all the key facts. I left off much of the tangent issues that resulted from this investigation such as extreme details of who Roy harrassed along the way, how often, what he said, etc, as these do not have anything to do with whether he did or did not do a score even though this was clearly harrassment. Nor did I include any of the other stunts that he pulled along the way.,,and trust me, there were quite a few, including a barrage of legal stunts from a flim-flam lawyer who should be disbarred. You obviously choose to defend Roy and his alleged score. So be it. Knock yourself out. Make a poster and series of T-Shirts bearing his picture. See if anyone bothers to buy one. And if you are unsure of what your potential target audience might be, ask Roy to show you proof of how many checks he cashed, not received, relating to his "comic book" that he offers on his website. Not one person that I know of has ever purchased or received this "comic book", and rumour has it that if you send Roy a payment, he can't cash the check as that would be mail fraud since he can't provide a commensurate tangible good in exchange for payment rendered. Try it and see. Any idiot with photoshop can design a comic book cover with some words and a photo. Roy never designed this comic book at all. He has a score that was never done, and a comic book that was never created. Even Jerry Springer would be hard-pressed to invite such a fraud onto his show. See ya.Robert

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249641

• agn
  • Administrator
I was so close to letting this thread go for now except for this
Walter saw a performance, all right, but it was not at TGTS conditions. There is no need for me to post further on this matter. Walter is the CEO of TG and had spoken on behalf of himself and thus TG. End of story there.
If that is the case, why would it be 20 years and a print of the TG book before Walter made this claim?I think we have questions to ask Roy based on this post, and I am hoping to talk to Walter on Monday.I will say we've known Flavius on this board for a long time and he's no Roy fanboy, just the most legally qualified to answer relevant questions around here.
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249660

-> "Flavius", at least I do not hide behind a username.
Anyone who's been a part of the All Games community for more than 17 minutes knows of Flavius. He is anything but "hiding" behind a username. I'm sure upon request he can provide you with family history, dental records, and a DNA sample if that would make you more comfortable in considering the well thought out positions he contributes to the discussion.
[URL=
]
[/URL]PSN ID: AegisOfReach