Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249331

• agn
  • Administrator
Blackwolf;249241 wrote:
Mr. Awesome didn't show up on AGI until the 14th. He was talked about before then from Ron, but he didn't actually come up and talk until two days later.I don't think Robert's resignation and Roy's appearance are linked.
Well according to our description Ron does mention Roy the 12th. Perhaps someone heard it and Robert knew what was coming next?The timing is very curious either way because he was involved forever and wrote a very detailed report on TT's score as well as Steve Weebie's
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249348

• T T
  • Level 1
Scot I've got to pull you up on the "50% faster" thing. You've made reference to this several times on your show and in this thread. I've no idea where this has come from, but it simply isn't true. There is only a marginal difference in trackball speed between the two settings - I believe Roy has confirmed this at some point as well. To say the setting is 50% faster is implying that the switch OFF setting makes a game 50% easier - that certainly isn't the case.Perhaps this is an example of the "misinformation" that some TG members are refering to. The facts are not being represented in a considered manner with this sort of reporting to an audience that isn't going to know any better.CheersTT

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249357

• agn
  • Administrator
i saw a post from someone who said that the trackball was faster with that setting. TT i guess the question is, if it's not any faster why make the switch?Also i think last night we figured out the switch was for changing between the two setups i.e. 19" screen 4" trackball the switch is set on allowing approx. one swipe of the trackball to move the cursor across the screen. The other setting was supposedly for the larger screen larger trackball so it would move across that larger screen on one swipe. So in theory ptting the switch off when using a 19" screen 4" trackball will give it an advantage.I think that's what the story is with the switch/trackball.TT have you played the game with the switch set to on? Have you been able to get the same point totals?Also one final question if you don't mind...how many times did you attempt to set the record with the camera on it before you did it? Roy played 6 times in front of everyone at the party, he only practiced a few days before we set up the camera and only a few hours at that.I guess my curiosity is that, if you are attempting a guinness record, they show up, you attempt the record and if you don't get it, they leave. With your score since you're using a videotape, you can literally try a thousand times in a row until you get the record. Im not saying that's wrong, just curious if you have revealed the number of filmed "attempts" you did before getting the 1.9M score.Also would still like to talk to you on the air. Roy did respond to your questions during our show last night and I have to say your post does make his actions sound more devious than they were. You made it sound like you were on vacation in the islands and Roy had a PI following you and your family. The show will be posted tomorrow and Im curious what you think of his answers.fascinating story we've stumbled on regardless

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249423

• blarg
  • Level 1
Ok, seriously, if someone mentions a bigger screen making a differnce again my head is going to explode. As was mentionned in the TG thread that was moved for the holidays, it makes no difference at all. Move your pointer the length of your screen and make note of how far the mouse moved. Now raise your screen resolution a bit and try again. See how you moved the mouse the same distance but came up short from the edge of the screen? That's becauser the pointer moves based on the amount of pixels it must travel and no the physical size of the screen. A trackball is an input device same an the mouse. Bigger screen means bigger pixels, not more pixels.Also, being that the major point of contention is if the trackball dip switch was on or off, why is it no one checked what it was when Roy played live? Sure someone went to look for the schematic, but when they couldn't find it, it was just glossed over with an "I don't know" and the show moved on. Don't just ask what the setting was, check it! With all the cameras about someone must have gotten some picture of video of it no? This isn't an accusation, would just be good to know.Here's what the schematic on the back of an upright missile command machine looks like. Notice that it reads "switch must be off for proper operation of upright Missile Command game". In other words, that's the manufacturers default setting.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/aeroflott/Funpspot%20Schematics/IMG_0690.jpgRoy says that the game he played back in 1985 was set to the On position (some people say this is a recent after the fact claim). On the aformentionned thread it was said (more or less, don't have access to it now) that the machine was a rental and was locked shut. If so then how was he able to change the settings from the default to the On position?

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249434

• agn
  • Administrator
We can check but nobody would have had any reason to change the switch from what it was when we got the machine, so whatever default is it would have been there. The point wasn't just about screen size it was about screen size and trackball size. One setting for 19" screen 4" trackball and the other for the 25"(?) and the larger track ball, i can't remember the number.I was under the impression that the switch is supposed to be set one way for the 19/4 combo and the other way for the larger size combo.Is that not a correct assumption?

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249440

• blarg
  • Level 1
The word combo, forget it. Screen size makes no difference no matter what, as I showed in my previous example. Say you bring your console to a friends house, do you have to re-adjust the sensitivity of your analogue stick/mouse/whatever because you happen to be playing on a different size TV? The monitor is independant of the game hardware. Any monitor that can display the resolution the game wants will function. There are 2 size trackballs, the 4 inch once for the upright game and the 2.5 inch one for the cocktail version. There is no bigger trackball than 4 inches."Off" is the setting for the 4 inch trackball as showed in the schematic. Therefore, wouldn't it stand to reason that "On" would be the setting for the 2.5 inch trackball? (which incidently no one is using, everyone is on an upright machine it seems, cockpit also uses a 4 inch trackball but I don't think anyone has that one either).Here's quote by Tony Temple on a different forum:"If you have played both the 2.5 and 4 inch trackball versions of Missile Command you will realise that the 4" trackball needs to have the faster setting R8#4=OFF, and the 2.5" trackball needs to be set to the slower setting R8#4=ON, for precisely the reasons that Mark has outlined in his post above.. If you play using the opposite settings, you will soon realise that the 4" is way too slow, and the 2.5 is way too fast."So was Roy playing with a handicap during his live game (On) or was he playing with settings that he says are wrong and not what he played with way back when (Off)?

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249453

• T T
  • Level 1
We can check but nobody would have had any reason to change the switch from what it was when we got the machine, so whatever default is it would have been there.
Its a bit late now isn't it? Mr Awesome has been under the hood already. If no one had any reason, then what was he doing inside the machine? Just saying...
I was under the impression that the switch is supposed to be set one way for the 19/4 combo and the other way for the larger size combo.Is that not a correct assumption?
That would be a wrong assumption - the switch refers to the two trackball sizes only, screen size doesn't come into it. For soem reason Mr Awesome believes otherwise, because he hasn't done any research into the matter.See, this is what happens when you listen to grown men who dress as Maytag Engineers to play a game of Missile Command.As for videotape submissions - yes that's the route I used. But remember I'm several thousand miles away. There are no live events over here I can play at. Let's not forget that the rules are the same for eveybody - Mr Awesome has been free for may years to submit a tape to "Prove his point". He has failed to do so. I repeat, he hasn't beaten my score on ANY settings. All this bitching and whining, and he can't get close. Sorry, but there it is...TT

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249476

• agn
  • Administrator
Well to be fair, I don't know how long Roy was trying to beat your record. He gave it 6 attempts in front of a crowd and cameras and got the second highest in history. So I'd say it's a fair assumption he can roll it to your score with more practice. Also, would you confirm the number of attempts you made before getting your score?

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249506

• zhorik
  • Level 1
According to KLOV, there were 4 models of Missile Command released: Full-size standup, mini-size cabaret, cocktail table, and sitdown. From the pictures at KLOV it looks like the full-size standup has the larger size trackball and the sitdown presumably would too (I can't see the trackball in the KLOV picture though). The cabaret and cocktail look like they have the smaller trackball.Tony, did you play on a full-size standup model with the 4" trackball? Was that the same model Roy played on?agn;249476 wrote:
Well to be fair, I don't know how long Roy was trying to beat your record. He gave it 6 attempts in front of a crowd and cameras and got the second highest in history. So I'd say it's a fair assumption he can roll it to your score with more practice. Also, would you confirm the number of attempts you made before getting your score?
Can you ask Roy if he's ever beaten Tony's score, even if it wasn't taped or witnessed, and regardless of track ball setting (but clearly no extra cities)? I imagine he's played the game on tournament settings hundreds if not thousands of times, and I'm curious if he's ever beaten Tony's score in all those games of practice.Tony, how long did it take you to go from a best of about 900K to your record?What would be interesting is for Tony to go play 6 attempts in front of a witness and camera and see what score he can put up. Even more interesting would be to have them both play 5 games via a live webcast and see who comes out on top. What is your average score these days Tony?agn;249434 wrote:
We can check but nobody would have had any reason to change the switch from what it was when we got the machine, so whatever default is it would have been there.
It wouldn't necessarily be on default. The machine was manufactured over 25 years ago and anybody could have changed the switch at any time in those years. Its a bit stunning to me that given all the noise that's been made about the dip switch settings, nobody seems to have even checked them. I'm sure TG wouldn't accept Roy's latest score, even with a recording, if the dip switches weren't checked before or immediately after the game was played.Regardless, I think its great that Roy is playing the game again in public, and the fact he's putting up very strong scores under "no extra city" settings lends very strong credibility to his old score. Some TG insiders have claimed they don't think the machine was on "no extra cities" settings. This has always seemed like a questionable claim to me since even if Walter had just watched a few minutes of the later parts of Roy's game, it would have been obvious if the machine was awarding extra cities. This together with Roy's new scores has changed my mind from being an extreme skeptic of Roy's old score, to believing that it probably was legit.Is there any plan to make video from Roy's play available online?-George

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 9 months ago #249564

• T T
  • Level 1
I started playing on Tournamanet settings only two years ago. That was after not playing the game at all for over 20 years (and then only on Marathon settings). My attempts at the tournament settings world record have been in the last 24 months only.Scot you are comparing chalk and cheese. Of course I've tried more than 6 times to beat the record on tape. How many? I have no idea. In the hundreds no doubt. But lets not forget, Roy has been trying for over two years to increase his score on tape - how many attempts has he tried on tape?As for live performances, in Croydon, UK in 2005 I played probably 6 full games in one day, and scored a 1.5 million and a 1.2 million out of those six plays. In funspot in June this year I played probably 12 full games and got over a million 3 times. In November this year I played live over 3 days. On day one I played two games live and got a 800k and a 1.1. million. Over the 3 days I scored over a million points 6 times with a high score of 1.7 million.These days, I'm not happy with a score of under a million. That said, MC is a tough game and I get scores of 400k - its going to happen. It took about 12 months of play to build up to scoring over a million every 4 games or so I'd say. It would seem that percentage is increasing as the months go by. I haven't touched the game since Funspot, and played probably two or three games "in earnest" between the two visits to Funspot this year. Basically I've not played as much since getting the record back in Feb/March. Having a lengthy break from MC seems to help my game for some strange reason.I too would like to know what Roy's best score on tape is. He's been very cagey about this over the last two years.Merry Christmas all.TT