Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249085

• agn
  • Administrator
I still haven't heard what setting Atari had the game shipped with in 1985. When did Twin Galaxies decide that Tournament Records would need an adjusted DIP switch? If when Roy set the record there was a TG rule regarding an adjusted DIP, then Walter would have done it, or wouldn't have verified the score as legit. Years later there is TT going for the record and a setting adjustment may or may not have been made. TG's refusal to answer that question for Roy is IMO more mud and collusion. He broke it on one setting and he has every right to know if the setting is going to be different going forward. IMO it's the wooden bat, metal bat scenario. If the two settings don't offer any advantage over each other, why make the DIP switch change at ALL?
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249099

• zhorik
  • Level 1
agn;249085 wrote:
I still haven't heard what setting Atari had the game shipped with in 1985.
Atari wasn't still shipping Missile Command machines in 1985. The production run ended long before that.agn;249085 wrote:
When did Twin Galaxies decide that Tournament Records would need an adjusted DIP switch?
As soon as people started marathoning the game, they needed to adjust the dip switches to create a tournament setting. The setting they would have been concerned with was the "extra cities" setting. The trackball setting almost certainly would have been irrelevant and assumed to have been "factory default". Its setting the game to "no extra cities" that makes the game a non-marathon and therefore suitable for tournament play.agn;249085 wrote:
If when Roy set the record there was a TG rule regarding an adjusted DIP, then Walter would have done it, or wouldn't have verified the score as legit.
I'm very skeptical that Walter was going around the arcade double checking the dip switches on each game with all the manufacturer manuals and a TG tournament setting book in hand. Maybe he SHOULD have been doing this, since there are many reports of TG accepted scores later having been removed because of such discrepencies. What's more, TG seems to be claiming the machine came to the tournament arcade without a key to open it, so Walter would have been unable to verify the settings. Verifying the "extra cities" setting was correct would have been trivial to do by watching the game for a bit, verifying the trackball setting would probably be quite difficult to do visually if you weren't familiar with it.agn;249085 wrote:
IMO it's the wooden bat, metal bat scenario.
I really don't like this analogy. Sport leagues change rules and equipment all the time and people still compare records across the time periods. The ball in baseball has changes several times as has the the distance from the mound to the plate and the dimensions of ballparks.This isn't to say that I necessarily agree with TG's position on this. The problem is that TG never seems to just lay all the facts on the table. Instead they tend to say "if you knew the whole story, you'd side with us", but then they never tell you the "whole story"! And don't talk about it on their forums or you're post might be removed.-George

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249151

• hoyle1911
  • Level 4
I really don't like this analogy. Sport leagues change rules and equipment all the time and people still compare records across the time periods. The ball in baseball has changes several times as has the the distance from the mound to the plate and the dimensions of ballparks.
I agree with this. Sports changes rules all the time and the old/new records still stand even though the context changes. In basketball, there's been many changes such as removing/allowing dunking, changing the key size, 3 in the key rule, allowing zone defense, and most recently changing the ball.I don't think TT's record is in dispute, that shouldn't be judged. What should be judged is allowing Roy's 2nd place score, as well as judging the 936,000 score set last night at Arena. Twin Galaxies shenanigans involves editing the past, which is unnecessary. The best course of action is to have Roy continue playing in 2007 and set a new undisputed number. It wouldn't have to be 1st, just recorded and recognized as legitimate.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249164

zhorik;249099 wrote:
This isn't to say that I necessarily agree with TG's position on this. The problem is that TG never seems to just lay all the facts on the table. Instead they tend to say "if you knew the whole story, you'd side with us", but then they never tell you the "whole story"! And don't talk about it on their forums or you're post might be removed.-George
George, I want to thank you for taking the time to come over here and simply have a dialogue with us on these issues. I think much of the angst felt by our members (and possibly Roy as well?) is derived from the silence and non-responses we get from the majority of TG. :confused: We simply want answers to questions that we have the absolute right to ask. Your willingness to come over and converse with us (although I understand you do not officially represent TG) provides us with the hope that not everyone over at TG is as uncommunicative as they seem to be.NOTE: The same can be said for you too, T T. Thanks.
[URL=
]
[/URL]PSN ID: AegisOfReach

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249208

• gavv
  • Level 3
here's a response from dwayne richard in the TG thread:
I was there when all this stuff went down. I was also the part of the crew who found johnny zee. He remembers that event like it was yesterday. He is saying the same thing the players always remembered.If you were there you would realize Roy is the same now only worse. He bombasts people with ridiculous ideas and either you sign something he will photocopy and tape together for some future reference or he will just plain harrass you to you surrender to he crazy claims. He makes crazy threats and acts as though he is the only one who has an opinion that matters.He reported the score after the time ended on that weekend and no one actually saw him get the score. Walter did see him play missile command but it was on the factory settings and was never changed. It was not really scrutinized because who cares about missile command. Everyone was staying away from roy because he acted like a freak. We were all still teenagers and he was in his 30's at the time.He made no friends with his ridiculous antics. Johnny zee was trying to get him to leave the arcade but he wouldn't. We argued for at least an hour. All the players never saw roy get the score. What happened was everyone was watching chris ayra and during that late evening roy claimed the 1 million plus score. It happened after the guinness time limit was alotted Chris was allowed to finish his game because it was started before the deadline.The iron man contest was slated for later that week and roy was kicked out of the arcade by johnny zee but he wouldn't leave so after all the (censored). Walter said they would take the score. It was never checked to see if it was on tournament setting. The game was borrowed from a distributer for the weekend event. He did not have the keys to the game to make it so. But Johnny Zee thought the guy was a fruitcake and said there is no way in hell he would get it set properly for that bastard.All of roy's supposed accomplishment in guinness as when ever he can photocopy as self made certificate and photocopy and paste someone signature are all done through the same means. He will harrass you till you will finally sign something or agree to something just to get im to leave you alone.He harrassed guinness to get his picture in the "hall of roy" they have alot of stories to tell about his insane antics. He is on the wall with all the other self important obssessed mental patients not in a hospital.He harassed walter, bill and steve and guinness to get his way. He in his self importance orchestrated the whole deal and got his way over 20 years ago but since the scoreboard has matured we will not tolerate and such antics or misrepresentations in anyway for high score accomplishments if we find out that they were done in the spirit to mislead or misrepresent the scoreboard.In my opinion missile command sucks and that it is definitely not the most important video game score in the world like roy likes to think. It still only a video game score. If it helps him get to pose naked big deal. Anyone can pose naked if they have no shame. Anyone can promote them selves shamelessly in today's empty pop culture. Rumor is roy actually has a bride and some children. I would recommend he focus on loving his wife and teaching his child and not waste his time playing video games.So in short and this is the short version. Roy was an embarassment to himself in Victoria not a hero and we are not going to spill all the beans but the result is what it is and is going to stay that way because it is what actually happened. So for those who thought TG was infalliable think twice. We never really knew what the far reaching consequences were going to be when we did what we did it just to get the guy to leave johnny zees.dwayne

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249210

So, they admit, because they didn't have the sociabillity to get along with him, they tried to exclude him.And, in the end, there is no discussion of the core element that's important to the gamers of today........what was MrAwesome's skill level?Are they trying to say that a persons lack of personality or tact, out-wieghs his ability at the trackball? Are they saying that they conceded the record to get him to go away?ComeOn TG, you weren't that relevant to today's gamers before this, but if your arguement comes down to "we didn't like him and didn't want him in our club", it really puts in question what you stand for.
What\'s your soul worth?the soUL TRAder knows.Barry Hayata raises the "Beta" capsuleAnd becomes UltraMannilow[gamercard]the soUL TRAder[/gamercard]

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249211

agn;248961 wrote:
I don't think anything you posted takes away Roy's score he set initially. I do think that your analogy is a little off. IMO If it were baseball and one person set a home run record with a wooden bat, and another set one with an aluminum bat, could you really say the metal bat record is breaking the wooden one?
Just to put things in perspective; In 1961 the commish of baseball made it so the single season homerun record is whatever is done in 154 games. Roger Maris was able to break Babe Ruth's record in 162 games but came 1 HR short in 154 games. There was an asterisk next to his record until the early 1990s when it was removed.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249236

An interesting side note: Robert left TG on December 12th. In a "goodbye" post on their forums, he states in his opening post that,
I am sorry that my tenure must end. The catalyst behind this decision is a recent event and corresponding decision which ethically prevents me from continuing as a TG staff member.
Now this was around the same time Mr. Awesome first appeared on AGI. I know it is a stretch, a longshot, but I wonder if the light finally being shined on Twin Galaxies via AGI contributed to this ethical conflict felt by Robert. Probably not, but an interesting mental exercise at the least. http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8735Also, does anyone know if Robert is a contributor to Kotaku. I found this index on Kotaku's site http://www.kotaku.com/search/robert-mruczek+index.php/His name is obviously right there in the URL. (Image courtesy of Kotaku)Finally, in researching this, I came across an interesting read on classicarcadegaming.com. Read reply #5 and pay special attention to the last paragraph.This is just more evidence mounting against TG appearing to verify, as Scot said, that they are just a private club that only recognizes those who "play by their rules."OutlawTorn
[URL=
]
[/URL]PSN ID: AegisOfReach

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249241

• Blackwolf
  • Stage A - 1
Mr. Awesome didn't show up on AGI until the 14th. He was talked about before then from Ron, but he didn't actually come up and talk until two days later.I don't think Robert's resignation and Roy's appearance are linked.
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249308

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Both my thread and the other are gone again, replaced by a sticky from Walter stating that he has removed them with plans of bringing them back after the new year.Obviously, I can waste some space here and state that it's their forum and they can do whatever the hell they want with it...but between all of the thread deleted-thread returned-thread deleted again-record score accepted-record score denied, the left hand over there doesn't appear to have a clue what the right one is doing.