Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249061

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
T T;249056 wrote:
I have all three manuals. They are all dated 1980 for what its worth.Agreed. Don't forget, his score was not removed when my record was verified and posted. He has had nine months to respond with a score of his own using the corrected settings (which surely would have been the best course of action), but never did.
But in all honesty, these are two entirely separate issues, aren't they? Roy may be using the dip settings to contest the validity of your score, but let's remove all of that discussion for the moment. If Roy was playing on a machine with tournament settings as described in prior versions of the manual, what possible benefit would he have derived in doing so?This would seemingly be a very simple question for any knowledgeable person to answer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249066

• T T
  • Level 1
You need to ask Roy. Don't expect a sensible answer.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249068

• zhorik
  • Level 1
Flavius;249022 wrote:
1. What exactly was accomplished by altering these dip settings (did switching to the dip settings you used make the game easier, more difficult, etc.)?
TG's position seems to be that the settings weren't really altered. My understanding of their position (I'm not TG staff, just a member), is that TG tournament settings were always intended to be with the faster moving trackball setting, and that this reflect the factory recommended manufacturer trackball setting. Furthermore, TG seems to be of the opinion that Roy's game was most likely recorded on the faster moving trackball setting as well, or at least there is no proof that it was recorded at the slower trackball setting. As to the actual effect the setting has on game difficulty, Tony or Roy would be the most qualified to answer.Flavius;249022 wrote:
2. Who ultimately decides what the dip settings should be?
Twin Galaxies decides what the dip switch settings should be for the TG scoreboard. The reality is that they've changed settings and rules on other games in the past, or on some cases originally simply specified "default factory settings" which years later have sometime proved difficult to determine.The manufacturers very rarely provided anything called "tournament" settings themselves.Flavius;249022 wrote:
My admittedly limited understanding is that the so-called "tournament" settings were devised for...well...tournament play, in order to allow skilled players to show off their skills without forcing them to stand in front of a cabinet for days at a time. If this is the case, then does Twin Galaxies have a say into what the "tournament" settings should be? Did Twin Galaxies pass along altered dip settings to the manufacturer for inclusion in a revised manual? If not, what was the manufacturer's reasoning for altering these dip settings?
The default Missle Command settings allow an infinite # of extra cities to be achieved, allowing skilled players to "stand in front of a cabinet for days at a time". Its that the TG tournament settings don't allow any extra cities that keeps the length of the game reasonable rather than the trackball setting.Twin Galaxies sets their tournament settings. If All Games was to start a scoreboard, they'd need to define their own tournament settings too. Manufacturers in the old days very rarely did anything like this. I think its extremely unlikely Twin Galaxies passed altered dip settings back to he manufacturer for inclusion in a revised manual. Manufacuters weren't in the habir of making setting changes at the behest of TG. What's more, the copyright on the manual says 1980 and TG wasn't founded until 1981.The manufacturer's most likely reasoning for altering these dip switch settings would be to correct a typo in an earlier version. There is no way they did it to reflect something like "tournament settings".Flavius;249022 wrote:
I would greatly appreciate anyone at TG taking the time to answer these questions.
Don't hold your breath. TG is very secretive about their decisions and actions. Most likely All Games will have lost interest in the matter by the time TG makes a detailed response, if they ever do.-George

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249069

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
T T;249066 wrote:
You need to ask Roy. Don't expect a sensible answer.
The reason that I'm asking this is that if, ultimately, there really isn't any significant difference between playing with one setting over another, it'd seem to add another crack in the foundation of Twin Galaxies' argument that this justified the removal of his score from the record books.In other words, why should he have to resubmit under the adjusted settings if there is no ascertainable benefit from doing what he did under the prior settings?

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249070

• zhorik
  • Level 1
What score did Roy receive yesterday and on what settings? Also, is any online video available of the game yet (or will it be)?-George

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249071

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
zhorik;249068 wrote:
TG's position seems to be...
Thank you very much for taking the time answer all of that, George.Much, much appreciated.-Pat

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249073

• FmLuder
  • Level 6
There is a simple soluton to this - TT and Mr A Missile Command Once and For All Knock 'em Down and Shut Up Forever Grand Final for the Ages.No Twin Galaxies, No BS, just two men and their missiles. Settle it like men.I am sure TT believes he shouldn't have to take part - but it seems to me that he would have the advantage - gven that he only broke the record so recently.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249074

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
zhorik;249070 wrote:
What score did Roy receive yesterday and on what settings? Also, is any online video available of the game yet (or will it be)?-George
If I could answer this, I would, but I wasn't around when he finished up...Heard it was close to mil...not sure of the settings, although I do know they were recorded.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249076

• tdb30_
From my understanding previously TT and Roy were supposed to go at it head to head. Roy didn't show up because no one would tell him what settings were on the machine.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249082

T T;249014 wrote:
I'm defending the validity of my score, which is coming into question because someone walked into a radio station and makes ill-informed and fictitious statements.
Again, let me re-state, that for myself, as well as many others who've been listening, I'm sure, we never questioned the validity of the TonyTemple record. We wondered why there wasn't two records, one for each "setting".I would also state, as someone who was actually in the arcades in the early 80s, I'll never question the skill of gamers back than, 1.9 mill in MC is incredible no matter what the setting...congrats. It's funny, most gamers today would end up in the corner balling their eyes out if they had to walk into an arcade and play a game they've never played before with 10 wise guys making comments over their shoulder.In the final analysis, however, since I've played the arcade version previously, I would have to say the fast track-ball clearly has has an advantage.
What\'s your soul worth?the soUL TRAder knows.Barry Hayata raises the "Beta" capsuleAnd becomes UltraMannilow[gamercard]the soUL TRAder[/gamercard]