Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249023

• agn
  • Administrator
Well, as deserving as all of the above three players may be, my view of a Hall of Fame is that it takes a well-rounded player who has some high placing finishes in major contests, plus world records (and, place and show) on numerous games (of reasonable popularity). So, players like myself, Roy Shildt, and even my gaming friend Frank Seay (who had a masterpiece of a game with his 910,722 world record on Crystal Castles) do not qualify, by my definition. That's why I decided to create the Classic Arcade Gaming (dot com) Hall of Fame, and include those players whose résumés 'have it all'. Note that, in general, only games from the late 70's to the early 90's will be considered, tho some games outside that range might qualify, if they fit the CAGDC definition of game-play, and design.
This is from that site, is he saying that the best in a certain game is not Hall of Fame worthy? Isn't that like saying only people like Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson can be in a "Sports Hall of Fame"Why does someone have to be good at multiple arcade games to be considered the best at 1 and as such a HOF type guy.Instead of a record book, perhaps we should focus on All Games Hall Of FameAnd we add people who have achieved unique heights in gaming.Perhaps that should include game makers as well as game players.Thoughts?
Flavius, to your point, I think it is the creator of the game missle command that can only verify what his expectations are for his game at "Tournament" setting. I.e. he can say, when we included the tournament mode, is was so players could compete with these settings to try and get the "high score". Manual revisions are BS unless they were done by the game maker for his own reasons. I think whatever settings the game maker had in place for tournament mode in 1985 is where the record begins. If Tony played the game with different settings from that, it's simply a new/separate record not a record breaker. Has anyone got any contact info for the creator of the game or the product manager at Atari at the time?---I would also like to invite these people who claim to have been at Roy's record breaker, and then afterwards claimed there were more cities, that the machine produced an "anomaly"Why wasnt this said the day they saw it. Here is Walter confirming a record and they don't immediately call it out? I would like to talk to those people.Also, the excuse that Roy couldn't answer someones questions about elements of the game is bullshit. Talk about reaching! It's not a trivia game, it's missile command and nobody is expected to do anything but score points to get the "high score". Some players are almost savant in their abilities and maybe couldn't tell you the time without a digital watch, it doesn't mean they can't play the fuck out of an 80's arcade game.
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249030

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Hmmm....just clicked on the link to the thread and it appears to have been deleted.Pretty fucking shady, Twin Galaxies.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249044

This is, without a doubt, the best storyline I've heard on AGI all year. I can't believe we have Ron to thank for this. The last couple of podcasts have been comedy gold.
Behold, the Death\'s Hand.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249047

• agn
  • Administrator
I was reading up on TG's site about the Donkey Kong record set by Steve Weebie (sp?) as Roy and Paul mentioned it last night. There were 9 pages dating 3 years on the topic started by Robert of TG. It had a detailed write up of the record. At some point the thread turns from congrats to this is not valid accusations. Apparently, as I was reading this, a TG mod HID or DELETED the thread. It was gone. No longer there, poof. 3 years and as soon as I start reading the comments, someone pulls it.What the fuck is going on over there?
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249050

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm starting to be intrigued by the plot twists.. o_OAs for an All Games Hall of Fame, wouldn't that be a lot of work? If you want to do it right, anyway.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249051

• gavv
  • Level 3
given that Missile Command came out in iirc, 1980, and I don't think there were any cabinet varieties that might have come out too much later. (Initial thought is if they release later runs of the cabinet due to popularity, or if they later made the cocktail version or later made the cockpit versions, that later date of release might have coincided with new tech manuals, no idea, just speculation.) Either way, I think by the time of that 1985 tournament, all three versions of the manual were in print for a long time, it would be just a matter of sheer luck what operator had what machine & manual ('current' or not).Regardless, I do not think either party were correct in what they say happened in 1985. I do not believe that there were possibilities of a 'semi-bonus' mode in the game, where it gives a certain # of bonus cities but not constant like the normal non-tourney 'mode'. I'm not an expert at all in hardware, only a sincere devotee of classic gaming, but i'd never heard of a mode where you either got no bonus, or always 1 city after X amount of points, in the way that was theorized. However, I also do not believe at all Mr Awesome's assertion that the machine he did that score on was absolutely on that 'ON' setting. That i do believe was an after the fact assertion he made purely as an argument and woudl have had no idea at that time what the machine was set at or even known to be set at. I do believe he grasped at that straw once he had 'evidence' in the form of old manuals. That also being said, I agree on the point that 'personality' should not be a reason for exclusion, *but*, I get the distinct impression and from listening to Mr Awesome I don't think it's that big a big stretch to reach for, that some of that 'harassment' might have been threats of physical violence to persons or family, i just have to believe there is more of a nerve struck than just email and forum posting harassment.(this whole thing really sucks btw, after being a member of both these distinct communities for almost a decade, like mom & dad announcing a divorce while little brother takes the opportunity to kick ya in the groin. :/ ah well, life goes on. )thanks,gavvScot, everyone's forgotten how you've quit playing Madden huh? you sure go out of your way to end a season on a cliffhanger :) :)

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249052

• Melfice X
  • Level 1
Instead of a record book, perhaps we should focus on All Games Hall Of FameAnd we add people who have achieved unique heights in gaming.Perhaps that should include game makers as well as game players.
Scot, I think you should definitely keep the idea of a record book. Obviously Twin Galaxies is corrupt, so we need to make all games the legit record book holder for the gaming industry. We already have a venue being the arena lounge, now we just need to spread the word around. Sure, its gonna be tough at first being that Twin Galaxies has been around so long and all games is just getting into this. But remember Scot all these coincidences happened for a reason and maybe the gaming industry needs a new record book holder.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249055

• T T
  • Level 1
It was my intention to state my case away from the other noise surrounding this. As Scott has said in this thread there are two issues here. I'm concerned that discussing both subjects in this thread will lead to confusion over what I have said, and any stance taken by Twin Galaxies. Any chance another thread could be started about the TG stuff?Thank you.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249056

• T T
  • Level 1
Gavv wrote:
given that Missile Command came out in iirc, 1980, and I don't think there were any cabinet varieties that might have come out too much later. (Initial thought is if they release later runs of the cabinet due to popularity, or if they later made the cocktail version or later made the cockpit versions, that later date of release might have coincided with new tech manuals, no idea, just speculation.) Either way, I think by the time of that 1985 tournament, all three versions of the manual were in print for a long time, it would be just a matter of sheer luck what operator had what machine & manual ('current' or not).
I have all three manuals. They are all dated 1980 for what its worth.Gavv wrote:
However, I also do not believe at all Mr Awesome's assertion that the machine he did that score on was absolutely on that 'ON' setting. That i do believe was an after the fact assertion he made purely as an argument and woudl have had no idea at that time what the machine was set at or even known to be set at. I do believe he grasped at that straw once he had 'evidence' in the form of old manuals.
Agreed. Don't forget, his score was not removed when my record was verified and posted. He has had nine months to respond with a score of his own using the corrected settings (which surely would have been the best course of action), but never did.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 8 months ago #249060

• dhopkins
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
T T;249055 wrote:
I'm concerned that discussing both subjects in this thread will lead to confusion over what I have said, and any stance taken by Twin Galaxies. Any chance another thread could be started about the TG stuff?Thank you.
Done.http://www.allgames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=249058#post249058I think it's telling that the 2 people who are the most forthcoming in this situation are the 2 players themselves. It's the sanctioning bodies that are muddying the waters.I dont dispute TT's record. I saw the video and to say it was impressive would be an understatement. On the otherhand, I also saw Mr. Awesome walk into Arena 20 years after his original record was set and beat every score on the current leaderboard except 1. I have little doubt that with more practice, he would be able to best he previous record and possibly even topple TT.D