Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251371

• blarg
  • Level 1
While I'm at it, will someone finally answer the question of what the settings were in the studio? Yeah, I know no one looked/cared but the camera filmed the dips right?Just check the tape, might be nothing, or it might make a huge difference.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251412

blarg;251356 wrote:
What, should we assume that the 1st printing was a mistake, the second was correct, and then on the 3rd and final printing they made the EXACT SAME MISTAKE as the first? Also on the back panel?I mean, honestly, let's start using our brains here.The facts just keep getting repeated in these 13 pages but no one seems to have the reading comprehension to care.
You keep talking about the mistake in the settings in the second manual, but I don't see any proof. You guys seem so adamant in your reasoning, but I don't see proof.Don't just tell us. Show us.
Finally reviewing again. Check it out at My Blog.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251417

• blarg
  • Level 1
Prove that the second manual is the one with the mistake and not the others? Well besides the common sense example I provided, Tony mentionned quite often that the on setting is for the trackball to compensate for the smaller size cocktail trackball and that off for the cocktail is too fast, while On for the standup is too slow. I suppose that isn't enough since everybody is part of the conspiracy now.How about you just try it yourself in MAME. Use missile command set1 rom and change the trackball settings. Someone who has experience with the game should have no problem realising which setting feels right. Even if you don't know the game don't you find the slow setting to be entirely too slow? Especially as the game gets faster. Note that MAME isn't exactly the same but you should get a good idea of the basic speed difference. Remember to restart the game for the settings to take effect.Don't know how else I can "show" this. If somebody is waiting for Atari to come down here and prove that the 3 sets of rules (2 sheets and the panel) are the correct ones versus the one misprint (which is ridiculous) then it's gonna be a long wait.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251460

blarg;251417 wrote:
Prove that the second manual is the one with the mistake and not the others? Well besides the common sense example I provided, Tony mentionned quite often that the on setting is for the trackball to compensate for the smaller size cocktail trackball and that off for the cocktail is too fast, while On for the standup is too slow. I suppose that isn't enough since everybody is part of the conspiracy now.How about you just try it yourself in MAME. Use missile command set1 rom and change the trackball settings. Someone who has experience with the game should have no problem realising which setting feels right. Even if you don't know the game don't you find the slow setting to be entirely too slow? Especially as the game gets faster. Note that MAME isn't exactly the same but you should get a good idea of the basic speed difference. Remember to restart the game for the settings to take effect.Don't know how else I can "show" this. If somebody is waiting for Atari to come down here and prove that the 3 sets of rules (2 sheets and the panel) are the correct ones versus the one misprint (which is ridiculous) then it's gonna be a long wait.
You don't know how to post images of the manuals for comparison? That could help your case a bit. Just saying that the settings are different without showing evidence sounds similar to hearsay.And don't confuse my defense of "Mr. Awesome" as liking him. I think he's annoying and this drama is getting annoying as well. I just don't like to believe something until I have evidence. Right now it just seems like a lot of people are saying "I'm right because I say so." (This includes blarg, Mr. Awesome, and others I don't care to name.)
Finally reviewing again. Check it out at My Blog.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251465

• blarg
  • Level 1
I didn't include them because they are already in this thread, here they are again for you to peruse.The second printing, on page 8, notice how the dip settings and the text on the right contradict themselves, clearly there's a mistake.http://basementarcade.com/arcade/library/manuals/m/mc.pdfThe third printing, relevant settings on page 8, no contradictions.http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/MissileCommand.man.pdfPicture of the back panel of an upright machine, same as the third printing.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/aeroflott/Funpspot%20Schematics/IMG_0690.jpg

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251505

• tdb30_
You are wrong about them contradicting themselves.First line for dip switch position 4. It says switch 4 on for large track ball. Second line for dip switch position 4. It says switch 4 off is for mini ball operation. AND It says it must be on for large missile command unit. (basically being redundant to the line before it) I see no contradiction.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251523

• agn
  • Administrator
Courtesy of Paul Dean the Spy Hunter WR holder who was kind enough to drop by and visit during our Holiday party when Roy attempted to match his score in MC.
Missile Command Variation: Points [Tournament]Dip Switch Settings: Settings of 8-Toggle Switch on Game PCB (at R8)Tony Temple's, New Tournament Settings, at Twin Galaxies Settings:1 = ON2 = ON3 = ON4 = OFF (Comment: Fast track ball speed, Current TG Settings)5-7 = OFF8 = OFF/UNUSED"Mr. Awesome" Old Tournament Settings, at Gold standard settings from the 1980's,and played at the following: On video tape on Thursday 12/21/06 at All Games InteractiveLounge, Los Angeles, with a tight hand held zoom in on both panels of dip switches eachone at a time with a hold and then a slow pan back and hold at the complete board forthree seconds, For documentation sake to make everything on the legitimate side fornow and for 20 years from now by a documentary crew, "The Production Factory",Max Yoffe from Manhattan Beach, Ca. which are filming his high score attempts.Missile Command - Roy Shildt dip swiitch settings 12/21/06Dip Switch Settings: Settings of 8-Toggle Switch on Game PCB (at R8)1 = ON2 = ON3 = ON4 = (on) (Comment: Slow track ball speed - different than current TG settings)5-7 = OFF8 = (on) (Comment: This is an un-used switch - different than current TG settings)Because these settings are different, then Tony Temple can make the case that the Roy Shildtscore does not count, because you are supposed to play on TG's (Tony's - fast track ball settings dip #4 off),instead of playing on (Roy's - slow track ball settings dip #4 on) which is not the new gold standardof the Missile Command Tournament mode, but it is the old Missile Command Tournamentmode switch which was the correct one for the 1980's and 1990's but not the correct onetoday because it has been changed by TG.Then Roy could make the case that when you switch the settings to the new (Tony's - fast trackball settings dip #4 off), you negate every single Missile Command score from the 1980's and 1990'sbecause you are playing at an unfair advantage to those in the classic era who had to play on theoriginal Twin Galaxies settings.Roy did not want to take advantage of the new TG settings as he wants his score to be comparedto all of the scores of the Golden Age with the slower track ball speed, which are the benchmark scores,of (Roy's - slow track ball settings dip #4 on), and wants apples to be compared to apples and soon and so forth. He does not believe that anybody should have an unfair advantage over theclassic scores of the Arcade Era.It really isn't my goal to be a spokesman for "Mr. Awesome" and to be fair to Tony, "Mr. Awesome"has stated that there is very little difference between track ball speeds when you are playing thegame. It becomes strictly a technical issue on whether or not there is an unfair advantage?.TG will not consider "Mr. Awesome's" scores under any conditions, so I say, he does havea skill-set which will beat everybody else but Tony. I just wonder what Tony could get on theslower track ball speed of the Golden Era.Apples to Apples?
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251548

Nice instincts ScottRubin. It seemed to me, the "MrAwesome" schtick was spurred on by the video you linked to on this site, and was more an expose' on an "oldSchool" gamer who had an interesting personality, to say the least.This has turned into a bonified conspiracy. You TwinGalaxy geeks, won't let Roy Shilt play in your "reindeer games" because you don't like him.I never cared 2shits about Roy Shilt OR TwinGalaxies before this little spat, I now care even less about TG and the vote is still out on Roy.However, way to go TG clowns, all you had to do is play along and you might have actually recieved an influx of interested gamers to your site; all you had to do was try to be forgiving, but, I guess in your eyes, 20+ year old video games is a good enough reason to exclude someone you don't like from your little club. Brutally childish.Sorry TonyTemple, Roy Shilt is a highly skilled Missle Command player from the era it matters, which, since I was actually at arcades in the early 80s, I know it is much different than any "retro" exhibition you might be a part of today. Your TG pimped score is nice and it's obvious you have skill, but because of the behaviour of you and the TG fanbois towards another obviously skilled gamer, I just can't respect you.
What\'s your soul worth?the soUL TRAder knows.Barry Hayata raises the "Beta" capsuleAnd becomes UltraMannilow[gamercard]the soUL TRAder[/gamercard]

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251551

• tdb30_
I wouldn't hold anything against TT. He doesn't realy care about Mr. Awesome or TG. All he wants to do is make clear his record is valid, and try to educate people about any misinformation Mr. Awesome might be spreading.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251555

tdb30_;251551 wrote:
I wouldn't hold anything against TT. He doesn't realy care about Mr. Awesome or TG. All he wants to do is make clear his record is valid, and try to educate people about any misinformation Mr. Awesome might be spreading.
I didn't, until he came in here and started argueing on this forum, like AGI had elected the goof, RoyShilt, king of all gamers. To me, it seems AGI were just trying to maximize the fact that a once skilled gamer was at the location of their live show-the controversy began later. For TT&TG it was an opportunity to have a small spotlight shined on the history of gaming, to give the current spoiled brats a little perspective of how we got here. But because some people can't let go of their personal issues, it comes off as nothing more than childishness.
What\'s your soul worth?the soUL TRAder knows.Barry Hayata raises the "Beta" capsuleAnd becomes UltraMannilow[gamercard]the soUL TRAder[/gamercard]