Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251211

• T T
  • Level 1
Haha! sorry Flavius - although I have to say your name seems more "right" with an "o" in it. :) Anyway...
Roy should not have his record-setting score (whether it be first or second place) taken away as a result of their errors.
But again that's a seperate issue to what we are discussing here. In the context of this thread, Roy is absolutely insistent that he used the ON setting, and more to the point is insistent that any other setting is wrong and a misprint. This is what I want to address - not so much to prove my score is valid, but to prove how ridiculous his reasoning is. It makes absolutely no sense, and is chock full of innaccuracies.I've been asked as to my opinion regarding his score and supposed acheivement in 1984, and I genuinely don't have one. I really don't. Did he do it or didn't he? - I just don't know. I've looked at all the evidence posted by Robert M however, and I have to say it is pretty damning.But I do have some sympathy with the argument that we are now over 20 years on, and it does seem odd to be trying to sort this out now. My view? I have no doubt that if Mr Shildt was a reasonable human being and participated like most gamers do in the pursuit of World Records, without harrassment, negative comments, personal snipes and self-promotion then his score would be left alone, and he and I could carry on battling for the top spot. I'd love that, I really would, after all, he appears to be the only competition I have. When I beat his record in March, the best thing he could have done would be to come back and beat my score (which he is clearly more than capable of doing) - he didn't. Instead he chose to scream and shout about how I and TG screwed him over.Unfortunately the way he has conducted himself over the last 3-4 years or so has further alienated him from the Twin Galaxies community, and they've thought enough is enough, he and his score has to go. Having been on the receiving end for the last 2 years or so, I can understand why that course of action has been taken. Make no mistake, whatever anyone tries to do for this guy, he will never be happy - because if it is resolved, he will be out of the limelight. Its a shame Mr Schildt can't just let his playing skills do the talking.Again, this is my view and I speak for no one else. TG are the guys to ask for a full explanation.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251217

• Kdog96
  • Level 2
T T;251211 wrote:
Unfortunately the way he has conducted himself over the last 3-4 years or so has further alienated him from the Twin Galaxies community, and they've thought enough is enough, he and his score has to go. Having been on the receiving end for the last 2 years or so, I can understand why that course of action has been taken.
Been following the story, and that's pretty rough... but I don't think it should have played any part in his score being erased from the record books. I took a quick look through Twin Galaxies site, and they state in their Scoreboard FAQ...
Scores are rejected if they were achieved on the wrong game settings, or if they are obviously fraudulent.
I can't find anywhere on the TG site where it says, "Scores will be removed if you act like an ass and piss us off." What's up TG?? :confused: Get on AGI and explain this!

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251255

• atari_man
  • Level 1
What I don't think people are seeing is that there are 2 issues here and they are being blurred in to 1.1) Why was Roy Shildt's score taken down by Twin Galaxies.2) What are the correct tournament settings for playing Missile Command.As far as why Roy Shildt’s score was taken down, that can only be answered by Twin Galaxies. Until an explanation is given anything being said is mere speculation. However taking the score down before having an immediate explanation is very unorthodox. For the tournament settings, the preponderance of documentation (1st and 3nd manual printing, information sheet on inside of back access panel, cockpit schematic) shows that shows R8#4=OFF for the large Trakball instead of just one piece of documentation(2nd printing of the manual). I don’t understand why Roy Shildt insists that R8#4=ON. It must be that he doesn’t want to look at all the other documentation since it doesn’t support his position. Hopefully someone with an open mind will look at all the existing information to determine what the correct settings should be. But I’m not too hopeful, since All Games Interactive haven’t bothered to get anyone technical involved in this discussion.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251275

• tdb30_
I think TG was wrong when they removed Roy's score. However, I think TT fairly broke the record.If Roy thinks TT used an "incorrect" setting then Roy should try to play the game on that "incorrect" setting and beat TT if he can.So my opinion of the two issues.1) TT's score is legit, Mr. Awesome probably did have the original high score legitimately and deserves 2nd place in the score board.2) Twin Galaxies is not a good objective source for high scores since they obviously have record keeping issues and can't rely on the judges to be accurate (if they question Walter Day's judgment on a game 20 years ago how can we know that any of their Judges rulings will stand or are accurate or reliable?)

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251289

• agn
  • Administrator
Why don't these people get someone technically competent to discuss this subject instead of making supposition and uneducated speculation.
You mean like calling the ref who verified TT's score? You mean like contacting Walter Day from Twin Galaxies, you mean like asking TT to call in?We did all of those and none would agree to go on the air. I don't know who else we should be calling that can answer questions about the settings on a missile command machine. And as far as saying the paper on the back wasn't important. I may have said that in relation to why Roy's score was removed. I asked my producer to go down and check the sheet on the inside of the machine during the show and he did and found the sheet not there.All you have to do is listen to the archives and it will become very clear that we wanted to get to the bottom of it. If Mr. Awesome was proved to be full of shit and a phony it would have been just as good a radio segment as if he was shown to be correct. I have no interest in one side or the other. In fact I've been aware ofTG for a hell of a lot longer than I've known Mr. Awesome. I was always a supporter of TG at AGN and G4.
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251290

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
tdb30's last post pretty much sums my opinion of the whole matter so far, especially when taking into account all the other scoring controversies shared in this thread.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251295

• atari_man
  • Level 1
I am only interested in figuring out the settings and have no interest in Mr Awesome vs. Twin Galaxies. If you are impartial (AGN), why don't you ask Mr. awesome why all the other documentation (1st and 3nd manual printings, information sheet on inside of back access panel, cockpit schematic) says R8#4=OFF for the large trakball and ONLY the 2nd printing of the manual supports what he says? I have already put up a post for the screen size, so when Roy goes down that avenue to explain why the cockpit schematics don’t matter, show him my previous posts. He has stated that the 3rd printing is a typo, but what about the first printing, which was shipped with the original upright games?? I don’t doubt Roy’s high score, but with all uncertainty of the Atari Missile Command documentation it is most likely that Roy played with R8#4=OFF since the bulk of the documentation says it’s supposed to be R8#4=OFF. Ask what Roy thinks about that???

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251299

• agn
  • Administrator
TT wrote:
Scot, please don't take this the wrong way, but you really do need to check the accuracy of what this guy says on your show before you start agreeing with him live on air and whipping yourself and your listeners into a frenzy of excitement.
How many times did we try to get someone with knowledge about this to come on the air only to have them say NO. You included TT.It's a live show are you suggesting since the people with the other side of the story are refusing to talk, we should just tell Roy he is a liar and not give him the chance to speak his peace? Don't you realize that by refusing to even talk about the specifics, Robert and Walter created more doubt and gave more weight to Roy's claims.I think it's laughable how you, atari, and Robert all want to drill me for letting Roy say things and us not having the instant information to call him wrong.The people that supposedly had the "right answers" all kept their mouths shut and then wait until afterward to cry foul. Boo Hoo.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251300

• agn
  • Administrator
I am only interested in figuring out the settings and have no interest in Mr Awesome vs. Twin Galaxies. If you are impartial (AGN), why don't you ask Mr. awesome why all the other documentation (1st and 3nd manual printings, information sheet on inside of back access panel, cockpit schematic) says R8#4=OFF for the large trakball and ONLY the 2nd printing of the manual supports what he says?
I'm sorry I missed the part where you provided documentation that the 1st and 3rd printings were the correct ones.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #251356

• blarg
  • Level 1
agn;251300 wrote:
I'm sorry I missed the part where you provided documentation that the 1st and 3rd printings were the correct ones.
What, should we assume that the 1st printing was a mistake, the second was correct, and then on the 3rd and final printing they made the EXACT SAME MISTAKE as the first? Also on the back panel?I mean, honestly, let's start using our brains here.The facts just keep getting repeated in these 13 pages but no one seems to have the reading comprehension to care.