Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #248992

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Obviously, it's all Atari's fault, so stop getting mad at each other and go sue them!j/k
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #248996

• agn
  • Administrator
Roy Shildt - Missile Command High Score,Third Annual Masters Tournament Extension, July 2, 1985,Canada.Missile Command, Arcade, Tournament World Rank 1 Score 1,695,265 Player Roy ShildtWestwood, CAUnited States Date Achieved Friday, June 11, 2004 Date Verified Friday, June 11, 2004 Verification Method Referee Verified By Walter Day Score Status Active Rules TournamentDifficulty : Hardest. Start Units : 6. Roy Shildt Link Westwood, CAUnited States Choose a platform (all) Arcade Game Score Rank Cheyenne Gun 8,899,200 6 Karate Champ 87,400 25 Mad Crasher 47,044 18 Missile Command 1,695,265 1 Return of the Jedi 703,410 17 Paul Dean, Spy Hunter Certificate from Walter Day of Twin Galaxies Roy Shildt (Missile Command Champion) - Golden Era Missile Command Score from 1985 Re-Confirmed on August 3, 2004 Walter Day posts report, [August 3, 2004] Roy Shildt's will be published as a World Champion. Link
All links/references have been removed. Give me a break. No conspiracy eh? I wonder what Robert thinks of that?
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #248999

• agn
  • Administrator
My response to Walter Day on the TG forums in case it is deletedWalter thank you for your reply. If what you say is true, then can you please explain the following: Roy __________ - Missile Command High Score, Third Annual Masters Tournament Extension, July 2, 1985, Canada. Missile Command, Arcade, Tournament World Rank 1 Score 1,695,265 Player Roy __________ Westwood, CA United States Date Achieved Friday, June 11, 2004 Date Verified Friday, June 11, 2004 Verification Method Referee Verified By Walter Day Score Status Active Rules Tournament Difficulty : Hardest. Start Units : 6. Roy __________ Link Westwood, CA United States Choose a platform (all) Arcade Game Score Rank Cheyenne Gun 8,899,200 6 Karate Champ 87,400 25 Mad Crasher 47,044 18 Missile Command 1,695,265 1 Return of the Jedi 703,410 17 Paul Dean, Spy Hunter Certificate from Walter Day of Twin Galaxies Roy __________ (Missile Command Champion) - Golden Era Missile Command Score from 1985 Re-Confirmed on August 3, 2004 Walter Day posts report, [August 3, 2004] Roy __________'s will be published as a World Champion. Link ==== It seems there are two issues, one is the group claiming he had "extra" men. Has this EVER been seen on any machine? And why did YOU not see it. Also if these people saw the extra men, why was it decades later that his score was removed? Since Twin Galaxies is a private organization that can add and remove players for reasons un-related to their record setting scores, are you confirming that this is truly NOT the definitive "high score" book/list? Finally, why was Roy inducted into the Hall of Fame if there was such a dispute. How many times have you been accused of being wrong after verifying a score as you did in 1985? The rules were the rules in 1985 and no matter what manuals were printed when, nobody was talking about settings on and off, Roy played it at default settings, and rolled it to the score you had in your book. I watched him (and taped him) double your "second place" score currently on the site. This is a clear case of ego's clashing and if you want to have the book of records, there is no room for ego's on either side. Roy's record stands in my book based on your verification, and I invite others to come to Los Angeles and work with Paul Dean and others to create a leaderboard that will stand on the merits of the score and not the personality of the player. Walter this is in no disrespect to you, but if someone tried to take away my record, I'd do whatever it took to set the record straight, and that's what I see from Roy. (Albeit not in the pleasant manner some might hope for)

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249009

Bravo TT, thanks for adding a little perspective, and not being afraid to say something to help clarify what is going on.And, don't feel too bad, MrAwesome didn't have most of us charmed into thinking he was anything but a strange character, much of the staying power of this has been his "uniqueness". But we just want to know he had the skills, thanks for confirming that. I'm sure I speak for most listeners when I say: "Hope to see you on AGN radio sometime."Maybe you should give a call to TwinGalaxy and you guys could discuss the life of PT Barnum, seems to me, this would be great "schtick" to give some old school gamers a little of the multi-billion dollar spotlight. I mean Pro Wrestling has taught us something, hasn't it.Let's let bygons be bygons, put the creepy behaviour in the past, and have the world's first cross-oceanic Missle Command-off for right's to the 80s pwnage king. And than do it again NEXT year!PS...I question though?Why does being deeply passionate about a hobby, to the point of nearly anti-social behaviour, mean there is something wrong.....but, on the other hand, taking it way too seriously, and becoming exclusionary, based on personal feelings...that's just OK, huh?
What\'s your soul worth?the soUL TRAder knows.Barry Hayata raises the "Beta" capsuleAnd becomes UltraMannilow[gamercard]the soUL TRAder[/gamercard]

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249010

• dhopkins
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Screw that. I say we start the All Games HighScore Sanctioning Body as the true impartial record tracking organization and relegate Twin Galaxies to just swapping records back and forth between its own members.D

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249012

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Sad to say, but as much as I respect what Walter has done for gaming over the many years (and I read his official response over on the TG forums), his response only seems to substantiate the feelings that all of this is due to little more than sour grapes.As a lawyer, I'm greatly interested in hearing more regarding the "legal letter" that is going to be sent Roy's way. Sounds threatening...Hmmm....EDIT: I also thought this was a pretty interesting read. Guess it wasn't always so bitter between Tony and Roy, seeing as how in this article, Tony really seems to look up to Roy's accomplishments...and this was, what, a year-and-a-half ago or so?

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249013

• agn
  • Administrator
I agree that it's clear Twin Galaxies is not interested in recording the records but having a private club of personal record holders that excludes players for personal reasons. This does leave the door open to creating a truly UNBIASED repository/venue for records to be broken.If you would like to contribute in any way, HTML, Arcade Machines, whatever, please send me a private message and we'll compile a team of people who want to be involved.I will be reaching out to Paul Dean who was kind enough to drive 70 miles last night to be at Arena for Roy's attempt. He shared a lot of information that verifies alot of what Roy has said. He also revealed that his record was removed, and with ROY's help, was able to get it re-instated.We will work with any and all current record holders to make sure their verified scores are included in our listings.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249014

• T T
  • Level 1
Flavious wrote:
Unless there's other information you've held back for future release, what you're putting forth here...again...seems pretty weak justification for removing Roy's score.
Again, I repeat I am not Twin Galaxies. I am a player just like Roy. I do not set the rules as to what should happen, or what may have happened in the past.None of my posts have anything to do with removing Roy's score - I am merely referring to the switch settings.flavious wrote:
The argument that you're setting forth in your rather well-worded post seems to be a pretty weak one. Without being too much of a dick (and admittedly, without knowing exactly what the alternative dip setting that Roy was playing on does), I'll introduce a third analogy and say that to me, it's something akin to introducing a rules change in a sport (take your pic, I'm not a baseball guy ) and saying that said change now negates all prior records.
Wth respect, I never said Roy's score was negated. I'm not negating Roy's score (its not my place to - I'm not the referee), I'm defending the validity of my score, which is coming into question because someone walked into a radio station and makes ill-informed and fictitious statements.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249016

• gavv
  • Level 3
agn;249013 wrote:
I agree that it's clear Twin Galaxies is not interested in recording the records but having a private club of personal record holders that excludes players for personal reasons. This does leave the door open to creating a truly UNBIASED repository/venue for records to be broken.If you would like to contribute in any way, HTML, Arcade Machines, whatever, please send me a private message and we'll compile a team of people who want to be involved.I will be reaching out to Paul Dean who was kind enough to drive 70 miles last night to be at Arena for Roy's attempt. He shared a lot of information that verifies alot of what Roy has said. He also revealed that his record was removed, and with ROY's help, was able to get it re-instated.We will work with any and all current record holders to make sure their verified scores are included in our listings.
if that's truly your desire then you might want to check out classicargadegaming.com ...gavv

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 10 months ago #249022

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
T T;249014 wrote:
Again, I repeat I am not Twin Galaxies. I am a player just like Roy. I do not set the rules as to what should happen, or what may have happened in the past.None of my posts have anything to do with removing Roy's score - I am merely referring to the switch settings.
My apologies, Tony. I should have made it more clear in my response. Of course, I understand that you are not Twin Galaxies, nor do you represent their interests, and therefore, have no say in regards to what Twin Galaxies recognizes as a "valid" score.What I was attempting to state (poorly perhaps ;)) was that if what you are relating is the basis for Twin Galaxies' decision to not recognize Roy's accomplishments, then it appears to be a rather weak foundation for doing so.My questions at this point (and feel free to step in if you can, as I understand from your article that you restored your Missile Command cabinet to mint condition and therefore, likely have a substantial amount of knowledge as to the inner-workings of arcade cabinets, in particular, this one) are the following:1. What exactly was accomplished by altering these dip settings (did switching to the dip settings you used make the game easier, more difficult, etc.)?2. Who ultimately decides what the dip settings should be? My admittedly limited understanding is that the so-called "tournament" settings were devised for...well...tournament play, in order to allow skilled players to show off their skills without forcing them to stand in front of a cabinet for days at a time. If this is the case, then does Twin Galaxies have a say into what the "tournament" settings should be? Did Twin Galaxies pass along altered dip settings to the manufacturer for inclusion in a revised manual? If not, what was the manufacturer's reasoning for altering these dip settings? If so, then wouldn't it stand to reason that this would be a means for Twin Galaxies to make sure that only those individuals that representatives of Twin Galaxies care for would be included on their record lists...and vice versa, a rather devious means of ensuring that if someone pissed them off at a later date, that individual's accomplishments could be removed from their records?I would greatly appreciate anyone at TG taking the time to answer these questions.Best,P.G.R.