Forum

TOPIC: Open Letter To Mr Awesome..

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248955

• T T
  • Level 1
Open letter to Mr Awesome.To Roy Shildt (is that still your name? or have you changed it again?).To say I'm astonished at your arrogance is an understatement.First up, let me state that I speak for myself, and not Twin Galaxies or anyone else connected with them.You have told many untruths over the last few days. You have ommitted many facts which you know would put holes in your story. Don't think that no one has noticed Roy. Unfortunately, Scott Rubin (decent bloke that he is) doesn't know you like I and others do. He hasn't been harrassed by you at all hours of the day, and had a private investigator tail him and take pictures of him like I have while on vacation Roy. Oh sorry Scott, did Mr Awesome not mention any of that to you? And while we're on the subject of Funspot, I didn't know what the settings on the machine were before I arrived in June this year, yet I flew over the Atlantic and just turned up to play - like any player worth his salt would do. I didn't "demand" any settings. Mr Awesome chose to stay at home because "no one would tell him what the settings were". Instead, he paid a Private Investigator to turn up and harrass me. Then he bombarded my hotel with phonecalls.You and I exchanged over 20 emails regarding the trackball settings and you know it. Yet on the show you say to Scott Rubin "Temple never really got back to me on that". You lied. You got so tangled up writing to me in trying to deny the truth that you threw your toys out of the pram and stopped emailing. I have all the emails here - I could post them if you like.You know full well that there is a 3rd edition of the manual that came AFTER the edition you like to refer to which states the switch is OFF. Sequential numbers Roy: 1, 2 and 3. Normal people would take the later version to be the correct one. But not you. Again you lied to suit your point of view.You know full well that the manual for the cockpit sitdown 4" trackball version of MC says the same thing (Swtich OFF). You did not mention this.This is why the Switch 4 ON setting you talk about is the wrong setting. There is no conspiracy. There is no cover up. That is stated in black and white in the 3rd and final print of the manual. The corrected settings are reflective of the facts which no one bothered to uncover until I came along. In fact Roy, if I remember correctly, you hadn't even HEARD of the 3rd printing of the manual on Missile Command until I sent you the PDF link. Some expert you are. You are hanging onto the last possible tiny shred you have because you cannot accept that your record was beaten this year.You said "the OFF setting is a misprint". Based on what exactly? - you have absolutely NO evidence to back up this statement, yet you say it as a fact to an audience that would not know better. You lied. Again.You know full well that I have not been influenced/bribed/paid off/whatever by Twin Galaxies. I am just someone who plays videogames - nothing more. You are talking fantasy.You know that you haven't spoken to ANY "engineers" about 4" vs 2.5" trackballs, yet you talk as if you have. You lied.You still refer to different screen sizes as if its an issue. I've explained to you in plain English that the size of the screen makes no difference, yet you use your flaky "screen size" argument to back up this story you've made, to keep yourself in the limelight.You also know that pretty much every Missile Command has a schematic sheet attached to the back door confirming the switch is OFF. Have you checked the schematic sheet on the machine you played last night? More to the point, did Scott have a look? You won't mention that will you, because it might just say that the switch should be OFF. What does it say on YOUR machine at home Roy? And what were the dip settings of that machine you played last night? Did you check?Imagine a guy winning the Indie 500 with 4 flat tyres. Thats the switch ON scenario. Someone in authority (like the car manufaturer) comes along and points out that actually, to race properly, you should put air in your tyres (switch OFF scenario). The race organiser says "OK fair emough". Some time later, a guy comes along with inflated tyres and wins the race, beating Mr Flat Tyres in the process by quite some margin. Has he cheated? Is there anything stopping Mr Flat Tyre putting air in his tyres and competing? Not unless he scared of something or he feels he isn't good enough. You've had nine months to beat my record on these "easier" settings you talk about - so why haven't you? Please don't talk to me about not stepping up to the plate - you clearly cannot compete - you haven't beaten my score on any settings. Trash talking someone on a radio show is one thing. Beating their score is another. I notice on the last show, when Scott spoke about calling me up, you said "I don't think Temple will have anything to say". Don't believe a word of it Roy, you know damn well I can smash pretty much every fictitous argument you've put on the show to pieces. Are you scared the show might talk to me? Hmmm?I'll leave you with this link, the FINAL print run of the manual: http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/MissileCommand.man.pdf (The relevant page is page 8 )You have managed to pull the wool over the eyes of a radio disc jockey and many of his listeners looking for a story whilst demeaning my acheivement at the same time - well done.I could not give a flying hoot for your arguments about Twin Galaxies - it has absolutely nothing to do with me, and as I've told you before, I will not get involved in your issues with them. That's for you and them to sort out. But to discredit me, my score and allow me to hear my name being bounded around on some radio show and being called a "chump" by you is not something I appreciate. You still have delusions of grandeur and fame which will never ever come for you - and eventually, these guys who are following your story will realise that too.Tony Temple
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248956

• Blackwolf
  • Stage A - 1
It's nice to FINALLY hear something from the other side of the story that's not a "no comment". Thank you.
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248958

• tdb30_
As a listener to AGI I'm wondering if you could call in to their show or provide them with a number to call you. It would be great for them to give you equal air time.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248961

• agn
  • Administrator
This truly is a great post, and much appreciated. I clearly see there are two issues (TT's score on Missle Command in 2006) and (Roy's score that was on the site and in the book for 20 years).There have been so many discussions on the air about so many aspects of it, I can tell you that Roy was very clear tonight when we spoke off the air that he didn't feel you were "in cahoots" or that there was anything shady about what you personally did. It is clear that the setting he and many others played Missle Command on were changed when you played it.I don't think anything you posted takes away Roy's score he set initially. I do think that your analogy is a little off. IMO If it were baseball and one person set a home run record with a wooden bat, and another set one with an aluminum bat, could you really say the metal bat record is breaking the wooden one? I would love to talk to you on the air, because the game is fucking hard, and anyone who can rack up 1.9 million points is truly a record breaker. But i think the evidence shows that there has been an effort to erase Roy's record by members of Twin Galaxies, and as you are upset with Roy's apparent smearing of your good name, so should you understand why Roy would be upset with several people trying to smear his.I cant comment much on Roy as a person, I don't know him. I did see a man that clearly has passionately played this game for many years. And at 51 over 20 years after his initial record, without nearly the practice time he had in the day, he doubled the "second place" score on Twin Galaxies in front of the lights, cameras, and crowd assembled at Arena.I think Roy is a showman, he wanted to bask in the glory of his record breaking performance as Billy Mitchell and others have. He is also being "erased" for personal reasons and that IMO, is not indicative of a true world record book. Unless walter day is willing to swear he never saw Roy set the score that was on the site and in the book, the record is legit and Twin Galaxies is wrong to remove it from the permanent record.
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248966

• T T
  • Level 1
It's nice to FINALLY hear something from the other side of the story that's not a "no comment". Thank you.
Please remember I do not represent "the other side" - I am not Twin Galaxies. I am not speaking for them. I always said I wouldn't get involved in a public slanging match with Mr Awesome, and I don't intend doing that now. But I feel that someone has to put some truth into this story, because you are all being led up the garden path.agn wrote:
I do think that your analogy is a little off. IMO If it were baseball and one person set a home run record with a wooden bat, and another set one with an aluminum bat, could you really say the metal bat record is breaking the wooden one?
I hear you, but I have to diagree. By releasing the 3rd print manual and correcting the switch setting R8 #4, Atari were saying "we got that wrong, its a misprint". There are not two settings, there is one correct one. To use your baseball analogy, Roy has been playing with an ironing board. It makes no sense to continue to do so, when the facts are there for all to see.I could tie a rubber chicken to my left arm and set a score and pronounce myself to be world champion on that setting. I'm free to do that, but it doesn't make it the correct official setting. People would be free to point out that the correct way to play Missile Command according the people who made the game is not to have a rubber chicken involved. (Man it's late, that was a good one!) I trust you take my point.The key fact is, Roy does not know what the switch setting was on his world record run (assuming it happened). He cannot confirm what the setting was. He may have played the game with the switch ON or OFF. He does not know, despite what he says.As for whether he got the record back then, I simply cannot comment. I wasn't there, and I don't know the circumstances.Let me be say this straight - Roy can clearly play Missile Command. I've told him this on many occasions. I've tried for two years to have a sensible dialogue with the guy, and even to help him build some bridges with the guys at TG, yet he constantly acts in a destructive manner. You put a straight question to him, and get nothing but misinformation and avoidance or nothing at all back. This is what he's done on your show unfortunately. I know a lot of it is showmanship or whatever, but I won't allow my name to be associated with this nonsense, hence the post here. Some of the things he said on air about a lot of good people were simply uncalled for, unnacceptable and downright libellous frankly, and Roy should be bloody ashamed of himself for saying them.Granted, it makes great radio - but believe me, the novelty of Mr Awesome wears off very very quickly.Scott, I appreciate the invite to be on your show - let me sleep on it and I'll get back to you by PM. I'd rather not get involved in the circus TBH.Merry Christmas.TT

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248971

every time i hear of some massive drama storm like this, i always just think "don't they have something better to argue about? shit."i have to ask though, does this setting switch(which obviously changes how fast it interprets the ball to be moving) make it read it as faster or slower.
- six years and counting, damn -

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248974

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
Great postings. Clear and frank. I still think they should make missle command head to head. For every missle you destroy triggers another at your opponent. This is kind of off the topic but, just thought it would be neat. I hope we can resolve this issue soon though, it is causing me to develop an ulcer, I can't take the tension.Merry Christmas all!

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248976

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Greetings Tony,You sound like a very nice gentlemen and as the others have said, thank you for coming here to post your response to Roy's comments. After listening to Roy on the show over the past week or so, I can definitely appreciate where you're coming from in terms of rather gruff demeanor.But that being said...oh hell, I'll just say it.The argument that you're setting forth in your rather well-worded post seems to be a pretty weak one. Without being too much of a dick (and admittedly, without knowing exactly what the alternative dip setting that Roy was playing on does), I'll introduce a third analogy and say that to me, it's something akin to introducing a rules change in a sport (take your pic, I'm not a baseball guy ;)) and saying that said change now negates all prior records.Unless there's other information you've held back for future release, what you're putting forth here...again...seems pretty weak justification for removing Roy's score.All the best,P.G.R.

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248977

• dhopkins
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Emptythought;248971 wrote:
every time i hear of some massive drama storm like this, i always just think "don't they have something better to argue about? shit."
The simple answer is, no, we dont have anything better to argue about. Because while on the surface this may seem like an argument over a switch in an arcade cabinet, it's actually about a lot more. Its about a man being granted or denied a place in history. Its about the integrity of all involved. Its about developing a skill to the level where you are one of the best in the world, which is a massive task that deserves recognition whether its hitting a baseball or playing a videogame. Its about going through life thinking you've been denied that recognition or having someone trying to take it away from you after years of practice. Its about a man knowing that at this one thing in life, he has no equal. No, this isnt about the war in Iraq, or the stock market, or the price of gas. Its about one of the few things today that can't be bought and must still be earned by any man who deserves it. It's about respect.That being said, its funny that the pivitol document for this monumental argument is located on a website called crazykong.comD

Open Letter To Mr Awesome.. 12 years 6 months ago #248991

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Interesting Read Here.Wonder where the notarized doc from Walter Day is?Hmmm...