Forum

TOPIC: Creed: A Movie Review

Creed: A Movie Review 3 years 7 months ago #399862

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everybody!

Here is my review of the movie Creed. This movie review is mine alone and does not reflect the views of www.allgames.com.

Introduction

As you may know, there is a band called Creed. The movie Creed is not about the band but about the characters in the Rocky movies, one of who was Apollo Creed. The stars include Michael B. Jordan as Donnie Johnson-Creed and Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa. I was going to skip watching this movie which I thought would be your run-of-the mill fighting/boxing film where the underdog comes out on top amidst cheers of the spectators -- but decided to watch it anyway. To my surprise, I found this movie to be much more than that.

The Rocky Tie-In for the Creed Movie

You may have seen at least one, if not all of the Rocky Balboa movies. I believe I have seen them all, including a recent one where Rocky Balboa tried to make a comeback and of course climbed those famous cement stairs that appear in most of his movies including the movie, Creed. Well, to make a long story short, this movie is a spin off from the Rocky movies, showcasing someone else other than Rocky -- Donnie Johnson-Creed. As you watch this movie, you may find yourself, not only cheering along the star of the movie, Michael B. Jordan, but Sylvester Stallone as well, given the different type of fight he undertakes in the movie Creed.

Realism of the Creed Movie

In my opinion, a movie with a good storyline sometimes makes for an overall good movie. In Creed, I would say the storyline is plausible; however, I think the truth is stretched in some instances. For example, most fighters grow up in and around the fighting world for a stretch of time before making sure they are ready to get in the boxing ring. I can't say this happened for Michael B. Jordan's character.

It seemed to me that out of nowhere, he decided he wanted the life of a fighter even though he was succeeding quite well in the corporate world. From a realistic standpoint, some people are known to leave the comfort of a good job, or career to pursue their passion, start a different way of life or for other reasons. However, from the vantage point of Michael B. Jordan's character, I had to look past the fact that he seemed to want to make this change out of the blue. I guess the inference was that fighting was in his blood.

I won't spoil the movie by divulging his family background as depicted in the movie, but suffice it to say that in my opinion it is unlikely for an opponent to get to fight in a major boxing match against the reigning champion without having a lot of wins under his belt. This is what happened in the Creed movie; however, the outcome of the fight in my opinion, ended as I expected.

Should Legends remain Legends in Movies?

Back to Creed being basically a Rocky movie since Rocky himself is in the movie -- my question is when should legends remain legends in their own right. During the previous Rocky movie, Sylvester Stallone had an active, action role. in the movie Creed, he is on the side-lines, out of the spotlight as a coach and trainer. I was glad during one part of the movie he actually rigorously participated in some of the boxing training exercises.

The theme of the movie may have something to do with passing the torch along; however, in my opinion, there was a message that Rocky's time of boxing recognition and fame is over. Of course, this may be true, but I think the result was a sense of sadness that the era of Rocky may be gone forever.

Predictability of the Creed Movie

There were elements of predicability in this movie. For example, when Michael B. Jordan's character met his neighbor who was a singer (played by Tessa Thompson), I knew a relationship would develop. Also, when he was asked for his autograph at a fighting venue, I knew a fight would ensue. Even though she at first was angry with him, I knew that Tessa Thompson's character would forgive, forget and later show up at his fight. I think the movie would have been more enjoyable to watch if there were more suspense as to what would happen next.

Acting Quality of those in the Creed Movie

During this movie, at one point I asked myself would I enjoy this movie more if academy award winning actor Denzel Washington was playing the Donnie Johnson-Creed part. I'm sure he would have hit it out of the ballpark. By contrast, Michael B. Jordan's acting in this movie was ok, but in my opinion he could have done more to show his strong drive to become a fighter, maybe by displaying more emotion - whether the emotions stemmed from happy circumstances such as receiving the gift from Phylicia Rashad's character, or from the unhappy occasions involving Rocky's health.

If I had to compare Sylvester Stallone vs. Michael B. Jordan acting chops, I would say that Sylvester Stallone, who is sometimes known to be sort of a monotone, one dimensional type actor, did a better job of playing his role of a has-been boxing star. The upside is that he seemed to have fully embraced, in my opinion, being a coach instead of a fighter.

Assessment of the Creed Movie

With movies sometimes running in excess of two hours or more, I think the movie length of Creed was adequate -- not too long, not too short. The writing and directing seemed to be tight without a lot of fluff and the movie transitioned to the main parts quickly. I think it would have been helpful to show Michael B. Jordan's character with his birth mother, even if for a short time. Also, in my opinion, you had to use your imagination to find out why Phylicia Rashad's character felt responsible for taking Michael B. Jordan's character in, even though I commend her for doing so.

Rating of the Creed Movie

Based on a rating of 1 star to 5 stars with 5 stars being the highest, I give the Creed movie 3 stars.

Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by RealMsH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lily Adams

Creed: A Movie Review 3 years 6 months ago #399883

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everybody!

As a testament to his award winning acting skills demonstrated in the movie Creed, Sylvester Stallone won a Golden Globe on January 10, 2016 for his portrayal of Rocky. During his Thank You speech, he referred to the fictional character of Rocky Balboa as his best friend.

Congratulations to Sylvester Stallone on his win.

Lights! Action! Camera! -- Real Ms. H

The administrator has disabled public write access.