Forum

TOPIC: Straight Outta Compton: A Movie Review

Straight Outta Compton: A Movie Review 4 years 2 months ago #399741

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everybody!

Here is my movie review of Straight Outta Compton.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions in my Straight Outta Compton movie review are mine only and do not reflect those of www.allgames.com.

Straight Outta Compton Movie Review Introduction

This movie has been out for some time now, and I just decided to watch and review it. Reason? I was under the impression Straight Outta Compton was about street gangs including gang violence. I did not want to watch a movie with an over-abundance of violence similar to Mad Max: Fury Road, where sometimes violent acts were shown just for the sake of violence.

Here is my review of Mad Max Fury Road. www.allgames.com/forum/36-television-and...-road-movie-a-review

You may have heard the saying that "Knowledge is power." With this saying as my mantra behind going to see the movie, I braced myself for the senseless violent scenes I expected to see. Well, to make a long story short, I was pleasantly surprised the emphasis was not on the violence of street gangs but was more focused on rap music and the people involved.

Straight Outta Compton Positives

I liked the fact that Ice Cube's son, O'Shea Jackson, Jr. played the part of Ice Cube in the movie. I found out during an interview I saw of Ice Cube and his son that he was not a shue-in for this role, but had to audition along with others to get the part. Since he is not a seasoned actor, I think he did a passable job playing Ice Cube. One of my favorite lines of his was during a rap on stage performance, he gets a close up camera shot and says, "Yo Dr. Dre... I got something to say."

I thought the movie did a good job of not showing how one of the rappers may be perceived to be more successful than the others, but rather the storyline concentrated on how the group came about and the problems they encountered.

Straight Outta Compton Negatives

There was, in my opinion, an overuse of profanity and other derogatory words in Straight Outta Compton. Yes, I know this movie was supposed to depict life "on the streets" so to speak, but I think this was taken to the extreme.

Even though Straight Outta Compton is about male rappers and the rap music industry, I would have liked to have seen more positive depictions of females in the movie. I'm sure the rappers met women who were of higher statures than the groupies shown in the movie. There were a few scenes showing clothed females doing something other than dancing around but these scenes were few and far between. In fact, I would have liked to have seen how Ice Cube met his wife -- similar to how this was depicted in another music-group based movie I saw, The Jersey Boys that includes a scene showing the initial meeting between Frankie Valley and his future wife.

In my opinion, there were repetitive scenes of unwarranted harassment and arrests in Straight Outta Compton; however, I think this was done to show what actually occurred.

Regarding the cinematic side of the movie -- I think it was elementary and uncreative how some of the rappers speaking was identified by their name appearing on the screen, instead of letting the audience find out who the person was by having the person look like the rapper being depicted, or have him be spoken to by name.

Straight Outta Compton Assessment

I think since Straight Outta Compton was trying to show the rappers' group evolution to include depictions of Dr. Dr, Ice Cube and Eazy-E -- it spreaded itself too thin. Of these characters, the rapper who the movie seemed to portray more fully than the others was, in my opinion Eazy-E. In fact, if the movie itself was about only Eazy E -- I think it would have had more of a lasting impact once you left the movie theater. It helped that the actor Jason Mitchell who played Eazy-E gave a good portrayal of the rapper. Initially, I thought Eazy-E would provide comic relief throughout the movie, but found out that due to what happened to him later in the movie, comedy was not the focus, but something far more dire. You will find out what I'm referring to if you see the movie.

The above being said, I believe the overall movie provided a positive message that regardless of the obstacles you may face, reaching your goals is possible, if you use perseverance and determination -- even when faced with negative outside forces.

Straight Outta Compton Rating

This movie is rated R for Restricted and should not be seen by anyone under 17 years of age unless accompanied by an adult. Based on a rating of one star to five stars with one star being the lowest and five stars being the highest -- I rate Straight Outta Compton 2 1/2 stars.

Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by RealMsH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.