Forum

TOPIC: The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: A Movie Review

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: A Movie Review 3 years 3 months ago #399732

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everybody!

Here is my review of the Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie.

Disclaimer: This review contains spoilers. If you have not seen The Man from U.N.C.L. E. and plan to do so, you may want to delay checking out my review until after you have watched the movie. The views expressed in this review are mine alone and in no way reflect those of www.allgames.com.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Introduction

I’m finding out that sometimes it's best to know as little as possible about a movie before you actually see it. Why? Because if you are used to not watching certain types of movies, such as period films or movies with subtitles, etc. you may have passed on seeing The Man From U.N.C.L.E. which in my opinion, turned out to be an entertaining movie.

I knew very little about The Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie before actually going to see it. About a week before I saw the movie, I watched a talk show where Henry Cavill, who plays the American agent Napoleon Solo, was promoting the movie. He didn’t give much away about the movie. To refresh your memory, Henry Cavill is the actor who played the character of Superman in the movies and who will reprise his role as Superman when the Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice movie comes out next year.

Language Accents in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

You may know there was once a Man from U.N.C.L.E. television show, starring Robert Vaughn as Napoleon Solo. In my opinion, Henry Cavill tried hard -- almost too hard -- to emulate the voice delivery and mannerisms of the actor who played the character in the 1960’s television show. During the early part of the movie, he would deliberately talk very slowly, which thankfully, he eased up on during the latter part of the movie.

Speaking of language accents, in my opinion, those who spoke with accents did not sound authentic to me. The exception was the character played by Hugh Grant, whose English accent was real since he is English. Regarding Hugh Grant, I had to look closely at him during the early part of the movie to be sure he was actually Hugh Grant. I recognized his voice -- but he did not have a strong resemblance to the Hugh Grant known for starring in those romantic comedy type movies.

Twists and Turns in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I will not spoil the movie by going into details; however, when you watch The Man from U.N.C.L.E. just remember that a lot of the characters are not who they say they are. Of course, you may expect identity suspense in a spy, special agent type movie as The Man from U.N.C.L.E.; however, when you watch this movie, I think you will be surprised as to who are the true spies.

The twist and turns in this movie not only involve people's identities, but there’s a part of the movie where you may think that after this particular action occurs -- the movie has ended. Suffice it to say that when you think all the missions have been completed and are ready to rise from your seat to leave -- you will find out there is even more to the movie before the credits start to roll.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E Time Frame

The time frame depicted in The Man from U.N.C.L.E is around the early 1960's since a television set in the movie showed President John F. Kennedy giving a speech. It became evident to me the 1960’s is the time period when one of the characters who was pretending to be the fiancee of one of the costars was required to change her wardrobe which consisted of 1960's type fashions. Another give-away of the time period of the movie is the extreme clunkiness and large sizes of some of the computer items in the movie.

The above being said, I think this movie took “literary license” during one of the scenes which showed an off-road type vehicle that, in my opinion, looked to be designed years ahead of the time frame depicted in the movie.

Humor During The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

I will not go into details about the humorous scenes in the Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie; however, there are certainly some parts that may cause you to laugh. You may not laugh or smile right away, since some of the humorous parts are subtle. For example, there is a scene in the movie where Henry Cavill and his buddy "partner" Armie Hammer seem to be competing against each other when cutting a wire fence to gain entry into an area. Henry Cavill boasts about the tool he is using to cut the fence, but his ego is bruised when his partner does the same action using what appears to be a more advanced instrument to do the job.

Another example of subtle humor is when Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer are talking about what to do to punish someone who unwittingly seemed to have made the decision for them. This scene is humorous because the audience is privy to what is happening to this person, while Henry Cavill and Armie Hammer are talking to each other. You will know what I'm alluding to when you see the scene where it seems as if some type of "shock manipulation" is going on.

Close-Up Shots in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

There are quite a few close-up shots of actors' faces in this movie. I got the impression the director wanted to make sure you knew the types of emotions that were being displayed by showing sometimes in my opinion, extreme close-ups of some of the actors. For instance, in some scenes if an actor became angry or upset due to a situation he may be confronting, a close-up of the character's face would show on the screen. In one case when Armie Hammer was trying to refrain from fighting since the character he was posing as was not prone to fights, the movie screen showed a close up of the character's hands sometimes performing clinching motions. Maybe the actors were not adept in their acting skills enough to let the audience know they were upset or angry without the aid of the close-ups.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Assessment

Putting aside some of the less than authentic language accents of some of the actors, I found The Man from U.N.C. L. E. movie to be entertaining. This movie has action, drama, twists and turns as well as a few surprises to keep your interest. I think the movie would have been more entertaining if the acting of the main character, Henry Cavill was better and natural. In fact, the acting abilities of several of the characters, with the exception of Hugh Grant, could have used some improvement, in my opinion.

I think the action scenes were executed very well, especially the car chase scene where the car is wedged between two buildings and Henry Cavill and Alicia ViKander (who was driving while Henry Cavill did the navigating) were trying to escape.

There were some omissions in this movie as well. There was a restroom scene where some teenagers are 'roughed up" by the Russian spy (Armie Hammer); however, it was unknown to me how these characters tied in with the movie’s plot, if at all.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Rating

I wanted to rate this movie higher, however, the acting skills of some of the actors were just not up to par. On a scale of one to five, with one (1) being the lowest rating and five (5) being the highest, I would rate The Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie two stars.

LIghts! Action! Camera! -- RealMsH

Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by RealMsH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.