Forum

TOPIC: Mad Max: Fury Road Movie: A Review

Mad Max: Fury Road Movie: A Review 3 years 6 months ago #399213

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello Everybody!

Here's my review of the Mad Max: Fury Road movie.

Lights, Action and Camera! -- RealMsH

Mad Max Fury Road Review Introduction

Who says you can have a potentially blockbuster, entertaining movie that has an engrossing plot, riveting storyline, thorough character development with lots of desert terrain vehicle chases and explosions. Well, it looks like Mad Max: Fury Road was aiming for this -- however, the movie missed these marks by a long shot.

Mad Max: Fury Road Characters

Whether or not you enjoy the movie Mad Max: Fury Road probably depends on if you are into gory looking creatures, painful looking face gear, lots of skull decorated face masks and other items as well as eerily made-up costumed characters. These type movies are fine, if expected. However, I went to see Mad Max: Fury Road expecting to see a well developed action adventure movie with some type of plausible plot -- however, instead I saw a movie where it looked like imagination was used to the extreme to depict some of the most horrendous looking characters imaginable, performing despicable actions befitting of a horror movie -- with nary a thought about a plot.

Not to give away any spoilers -- Mad Max: Fury Road has a female character who was leading who appeared to be in my opinion vulnerable looking young ladies. To make sure you knew she was the leader, she (Charlize Theron) had her hair cut very short and wore a scowl during most if not all of the movie, sometimes wiping motor oil grease on her forehead to show just how bad she was. The message here seems to be female actresses must take on masculine looks to be perceived as leaders or to be taken seriously, which is of course, far from the truth.

I think the Mad Max: Fury Road movie pushed the limits, in my opinion, when it came to handling the pregnant woman during one of the scenes -- even showing a barbaric looking man rubbing two knives together above her as he was ordered to deliver the unborn baby -- by the mother -- who by the way had previously been run over by one of the warring trucks.

There were other scenes in the movie that pushed the limits, in my opinion, including showing how many ways human bodies can be used, engraved, or otherwise disfigured or mutilated in atrocious ways. I cannot leave out the human milking machine scene -- one of the many scenes I had to turn my head away from or close my eyes. It did not help that I was looking at this movie in 3D on a gigantic movie screen where physical details were overly visible.

Storyline or Lack Thereof

In my opinion, Mad Max: Fury Road had no true story line or orderly sequence of events or actions. For example, after a smattering of vehicle crashes, explosions and battles, in the next scene you would see the group of women along with Mad Max serenely riding along the dessert -- almost as if the massive battle you just witnessed never even happened.

Additionally, throughout the movie you would see a little girl appear on the screen -- talking to Mad Max in his imagination; however, I never found out the relationship between the two, if any. The little girl was one of the many loose ends in my opinion of the movie. I think the movie would had been better overall if the story was told from one angle. Possibities are: Mad Maxx's story including why he was captured and his relationship with the little girl (2) The female lead's story including how she got her position, purpose of journey to their destination and (3) From the viewpoint of the villain skull mask wearing protagonist including his relationship with Mad Max and/or the female lead. Of course there are other angles, but my point is to pick an angle, tell the story from that view point and stick to it -- instead of the story seeming to jump all over the place.

After about the third or so repetitive battle scene, I was ready to leave the movie before it ended, but kept hoping the movie would change for the better. Unfortunately -- it never did.

Mad Max: Fury Road Review Wrap-up

If you are a Mad Max fan, you can of course check out this movie and come to your own conclusions about it. As for me, I'll pass if there is another sequel. To be fair, I did not see the Mad Max movie starring Tina Turner and Mel Giblson which could possibly have shed some light on this movie. Also, this movie is set in a post-apocalyptic world -- so who know how humans would be depicted during those times. Additionally, Mad Max: Fury Road is after all -- just a movie so there's freedom of expression which does not have to point to any realism or social acceptability.

Mad Max: Fury Road Rating

Based on a five star rating -- my score is one star -- and that's only because there was a fight scene (before they became friends of course) between the female lead and Mad Max that in my opinion was well choreographed and executed.

Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer

Here is the trailer which in my opinion, hyped up the movie, Mad Max Fury Road to be a must-see movie. I've seen the movie and I beg to differ. Excellent trailer -- very poor movie.

Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by RealMsH. Reason: Edited
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mad Max: Fury Road Movie: A Review 3 years 6 months ago #399214

• dhopkins
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Every thing Ms. H said about this movie is correct, except for the rating. I'd give it 5 stars. It was incredible from start to finish.

Mad Max: Fury Road Movie: A Review 3 years 6 months ago #399216

• RealMsH
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
I give the Mad Max: Fury movie trailer 5 stars; the actual movie itself -- 1 star.