Forum

TOPIC: Disney buys out Lucas

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397530

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/10/disney-buys-lucasfilm/So you've all heard, I'm sure. What was your reaction?I think this could be a good thing. Star Wars was dead to me, but if Lucas gives up control, we could end up with Episode VII actually being good. I'm not super hyped about it, but I'll see it relatively close to release so I can be a part of the "is it good or shit?" discussion.EDIT - NEVERMIND--- YIKES--- "It also confirmed a long-term plan of releasing a new feature Star Wars film every two to three years — beyond the planned Episodes 7, 8, and 9."http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3577656/disney-buys-lucasfilm-plans-to-release-star-wars-episode-7-in-2015
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397532

• shiroren8
I honestly don't know how i feel about this exactly, when i first saw the headline on joystiq i thought it was a joke but then i saw it on cnn a few hours later and then this. Guess in a way I'm happy considering the quality of action films like the Marvel stuff coming out of Disney right now so it does have potential to be good but more after another trilogy, really Disney? Star Wars is already pretty much dead to most geeks my age after the prequel stuff but maybe just maybe in the right hands this could turn into gold. I thought that I would see a headline like "Stars Wars being rebooted by Lucas and 20th Century Fox" before i ever saw Lucasfilm be sold to anyone. We will see how this rolls out in 3 years though.

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397535

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I won't be really excited until a trailer comes out but honestly this isn't the worst thing that could have happened. I'll probably watch the new trilogy unless it's absolutely horrendous. What I really want is for Disney to force LucasArts to put out another X-Wing or Tie Fighter. :p
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397538

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
Just the film section has been sold right? Not the Star Wars brand itself? I like Clone Wars animated series.
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397540

• shiroren8
True;397538 wrote:
Just the film section has been sold right? Not the Star Wars brand itself? I like Clone Wars animated series.
As far as I've read with different articles it seems like everything was sold animated and all but Disney will pick an choose if they want things to keep rolling like it has been or not. It was a section saying that Disney XD would be a great fit for animated shows so Clone Wars probably would move from CN to XD after awhile.

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397541

• TigerClaw
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 3
One thing to note is Fox still has the rights to Episode 1 through 6 for the DVD and Blu-Ray sales. So any chance of releasing the original trilogy un-edited would have to be on Fox's end since they own the distribution rights. Plus they have rights to those films until 2020. All Disney can do is make Episode 7 through 9 which they own rights to.

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397562

• DeadMan
  • Stage A - 1
Good guy George Lucas is donating all $4+ billion from the sale to charity.
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake

Disney buys out Lucas 7 years 3 months ago #397564

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
DeadMan;397562 wrote:
Good guy George Lucas is donating all $4+ billion from the sale to charity.
Wow, that's selflessness.
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo