Forum

TOPIC: DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade

DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade 9 years 11 months ago #385327

• agn
  • Administrator
Maybe a good way to offer the 3D PPV of Avatar at home similar to a Sunday ticket type subscription. There are a number of college games being shot in 3D and shown in theaters.The HD Guru says
DirecTV intends to launch the first US 3D HDTV channel early next year. The satellite TV provider plans to make the announcement at the 2010 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on January 7th. Tonight, DirecTV is scheduled to blast its latest satellite into orbit. The new bird gives DirecTV the capacity to add an all HD 3D channel, along with additional HD channels, though the technical specs of the broadcast are not yet clear. The new satellite goes fully operational in March 2010. The new DirecTV 3D channel will feature an assortment of movies, sports and programs in 3D. All programs are in HD 3D and meet the new 3D standards the major TV manufacturers support, according to sources. Sources tell HD Guru DirecTV’s current HDTV boxes will receive a firmware upgrade to allow its existing subscriber base to receive HD 3D programming. The shows will then be compatible with the new 3D capable HDTVs expected to debut at CES by Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG and other TV makers, as well as existing Mitsubishi DLP models that are accompanied by a forthcoming 3D converter box. Viewers will need one of these new 3D HDTVs to view DirecTV 3D programming, along with compatible 3D glasses.
I think it's a great idea. The new satellite they just launched will expand their offerings dramatically. I wish their tv apps were a little more polished but its a good start.Do you want a 3D channel? How much would you pay?
[gamercard]agn[/gamercard]Join the allgames community
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade 9 years 11 months ago #385328

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm not paying for a new TV, shutter glasses, AND paying for a 3D channel package on top of that.Too much. Out of the question. At least to be bleeding edge. Maybe when the majority of current HDTVs go obsolete it will be big, though I'd hope we have better technology by then.I really wonder how much sports would benefit from it considering the camera is at such a distance that depth perception doesn't matter a whole lot.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade 9 years 11 months ago #385332

• agn
  • Administrator
I don't think it's necessary for the new TV if you use glasses. From what I have heard the sporting events they've been shooting with the new cameras are pretty good. I saw a rea volleyball game is 3D at CES 3 years ago, no glasses. That was a special TV, I think this would work with a regular showing left/right images

DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade 9 years 11 months ago #385345

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
I kind of took a hit fairly early on with paying extra for HD channels for which there was no reason to watch but sporting events. I don't think I will be jumping in that early for 3D. The PPV model seems intriguing though, I would love to see the Money vs Pac-Man fight in 3D. Like any A/V advancements, it all comes down to content.

DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade 9 years 11 months ago #385363

• agn
  • Administrator
I don't know if I would subscribe to a 3D channel either, but I would definitely be up for some PPV sporting events and movies like Avatar. I'd like to see a demo of these at CES, I am not going to make it this year but I assume we'll see some coverage from the tech sites over the next few weeks. If anyone spots any good impressions on this tech, please post it here.

DirecTV to offer 3D content with firmware upgrade 9 years 10 months ago #386048

• JUSTINFL
  • Level 10
I like the Idea of going to the Movies to watch a sports game