Forum

TOPIC: Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368027

• TigerClaw
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 3
Flavius;368026 wrote:
Wait a sec...so I'm finally forced to buy a rather nice 1080p 16:9 lcd after one of my beautiful and beloved Sony crt hdtvs takes a dump in my livingroom, and now these guys want to push 21:9?Fuck. You. Philips Ultra.No sale! :p
And considering the majority of content is 16:9, It will be many years until everything is done in 21:9.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368031

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
TigerClaw;368027 wrote:
And considering the majority of content is 16:9, It will be many years until everything is done in 21:9.
Over 60% of DVD and Blu-ray Disc movies support the 2.39:1 movie format.
oh, k. :thup:This is a shitty idea imo.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368038

• arefx
  • Stage A - 1
It looks sweet, who cares if its back to black bars when you watch TV.... not all TV is in SD anyways, within the next 3 years most stations will probably broadcast in HD, so not buying this TV for that reason is just stupid. Get this TV to be more future proof. Also, about half the movies I watch in HD on blu ray have those bars on the top, I have a 16:9 tv, so that would mean half the movies I watch are in 21:9, so also, saying most movies are in 16:9 is another stupid reason to bash this tv.
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368039

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Umm.. HDTV is 16:9, which means that would also show black bars on this screen, unless you're willing to deform it.And it's not a dumb reason to bash it. After all apparently the whole point of this display is to avoid black bars on movies, so I would presume that one would want to avoid all sorts of black bars no matter the input. Like I said, if most of your use revolves around watching 21:9 movies, then it might make sense, but then, it would make as much sense just to get an actual movie projector IMO.I just wish everyone would settle on one aspect ratio. It's ridiculous how even widescreen computer monitors have their own one (16:10).
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368048

• Octocamo
  • Stage A - 1
21:10 please or GTFO.<3 more vertical space.
PSN: solisnkXBL: OctocamoSteam: OctocamoOrigin + Battlelog: Octocamo

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368049

arefx;368038 wrote:
It looks sweet, who cares if its back to black bars when you watch TV.... not all TV is in SD anyways, within the next 3 years most stations will probably broadcast in HD, so not buying this TV for that reason is just stupid.
Almost every single currently-broadcasted-in-HD show is 16:9. Not a good argument for this TV.And, quite honestly? I'm perfectly content with 16:9. Something about black bars on 21:9 movies just makes them more... movie-like. Ala Wes Anderson films.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368053

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
I don't like it, widescreen is too wide for the height as it is. Why can't we watch a big high definition square?
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368064

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Burr;368039 wrote:
I just wish everyone would settle on one aspect ratio. It's ridiculous how even widescreen computer monitors have their own one (16:10).
That's changing. Most new laptops are coming out with 16:9 screen and a lot of new monitors too.I think a 21:9 in the hands of someone inexperienced would be hilarious. "Squishy vision" when people stretch the picture to fit the screen already bugs me on 16:9. 21:9 would be unbearable!Also Panavision is 2.35 to one..

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368174

• InnerLogic
  • Stage A - 1
-Beck-;368025 wrote:
It's a nice gimmick, but it's a gimmick that isn't really going to sell that well.
Well I know for sure that it won't sell well in America, if only because they are not releasing it in America :cool:Philips outsourced their HDTV's in America to Funai, so they are not going to bother releasing this TV here. I like the "idea" of the TV, but there is only so much use for it besides just getting a normal HDTV.

Philips Ultra Widescreen Cinema 21:9 HDTV 10 years 5 months ago #368182

• SageClaw
  • Stage B - 3
And once again we are treated like idiots and can't call it what it is... 7:3 (or in the case of Decipher's post 2.35:1) because the consumer is too stupid to get it. We have to call it 21:9 because then it's 5 better than 16:9.When in the hell did Math become a bad thing?I am also with Flavius on this with a big fuck you to Phillips.
"Well if I knew what I was talking about do you really think I would waste it on an Internet Forum?" SageClaw