Forum

TOPIC: Your Favorite Writer...

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #86337

• Carps
  • Stage A - 3
Mine? By far it's a contemporary who is just unreal by the name of Michael Chabon. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay should be read in every highschool, and books like Mysteries of Pittsburgh and Wonder Boys are beginning to define a generation much in the way On The Road did. He writes like I wish I thought, with an immense vocab and a vision of life that is so exquisitly his own. If you haven't read any of his books, read them. He even has a set of short stories, "The Model World" which is a nice place to start.http://www.michaelchabon.com/ wrote:
Who Hath Made Me?Michael Chabon • Berkeley, California, USA • Origin of name: old Russian or Byelorussian word, chaban, meaning “shepherd” • First computer: Osborne 1-a (CP/M, WordStar), purchased in 1983 for $1900.00 • Favorite style of North Carolina barbecue: Eastern • Only surviving mental datum from having minored in philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh: To be is to be the value of a bound variable (Willard Quine) • Date of becoming a bar mitzvah: May 8, 1976 • Favorite Currently-Active Major League Pitcher: Jason Schmidt, San Francisco Giants • Hours spent learning Movable Type and CSS in order to create this site: 239,222,032 • Term as Captain of the Howard High School It's Academic team, Ellicott City, Maryland: 1979-80 • Breed of family dog: Bernese Mountain • Correct answer to perennial Hulk vs. Thing, who wins? question: the Thing (his sense of humor confers a small but distinct advantage) • Reason so many dogs die or are endangered in The Mysteries of Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys, and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay: that's how messed up things have become • Social advantage conferred by membership on and eventual captaincy of high-school It's Academic team: requires negative integer • Rank of First Amendment to the United States Constitution, among things to which a daily moment of gratitude and even wonder is due: first • That's “Cha-” as in Shea Stadium, “-bon” as in Bon Jovi • Without stopping to think: King Kong (1933), Bride of Frankenstein, Captain Blood, Children of Paradise, The Thief of Baghdad (1940), The Godfather, Nashville, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension, Rushmore • Best pizza in Berkeley: a toss-up between Arinell's and Cheeseboard • First presidential campaign volunteered for: Morris Udall, 1980 • Maximum number of times (thus far) in one evening that Abraham Chabon (b. 2003) has cried so hard that he vomited, in his efforts to express displeasure over being asked to go to sleep: 7 • Still without stopping to think: The Phantom Tollbooth, The Dark is Rising, Harriet the Spy, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, A Wizard of Earthsea, The Twenty-One Balloons, D'Aulaire's Norse Gods and Giants • Importance of Monty Python's Flying Circus in the birth of a personal aesthetic: primal • Amount of black, bilious effluvium of disgust at the lamentable, pinheaded, know-nothing political condition of the United States of America that must somehow be siphoned off each day if ordinary life is to proceed without one's being completely overwhelmed by despair: 17.2 gallons • Number of boys known in childhood who sincerely believed themselves to be, at least part of the time, androids or suspension bridges: 3 • Without stopping to think, Part III: Big Star, Yes, The Flaming Lips, The Clash, Aimee Mann, The Move, Richard Thompson, Queen, The Velvet Underground, Brian Eno, Joni Mitchell, Television, Fountains of Wayne • This site and all its contents are the copyright and property of Michael Chabon, except where noted, and yet at the same time they are also his gift, cheerfully offered, to you • Built on an Apple Macintosh PowerBook G4, using Movable Type 3.15, Adobe Photoshop Elements 3, and Mozilla Firefox 5.0 • Let Others Praise Ancient Times, I Am Glad I Was Born In These (Ovid, 43 BC - 17 AD) • Zayt gezunt un shtark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #86370

Hmmm, damn I have too many. Currently, I'd have to say P.G. Wodehouse. His Wooster and Jeeves series are pretty funny.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #89353

• Zidy
  • Stage A - 1
Tolkien

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #89597

• Rayo
  • Stage A - 1
God I have so many favorites I just cannot pick one or even give a top 10 list cause i'd leave out a favorite.but my favorite playwriter is Tennesee Williams
[gamercard]Sir Rayo[/gamercard]

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #89918

Rayo wrote:
but my favorite playwriter is Tennesee Williams
The Glass Menagerie (sp?)???----Good play, I love how Tom ripped out of his family ^____^Contemporary Author-Orson Scott Card(SciFi)/W.E.B. Griffin(Military/Police Fiction)

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #89976

• Rayo
  • Stage A - 1
Tom basically could sum up my feelings with my family, and 2/4s of my personality.
[gamercard]Sir Rayo[/gamercard]

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 6 months ago #89985

Shakespeare, Homer (Illiad, Oddyssey), H.P. Lovecraft, Poe, Seanbaby, Joseph Heller, William King, Robert A. Heinlein, and many more that I forget the names to.

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 5 months ago #90187

• asmoron
  • Level 4
Right now I'm into:Andrew Vachss - the one-eyed king of gritty noir.Edward Lee - the most disgusting author in history.Steve Aylett - british splatterpunk psychoWTF beerlight what?Neil Gaiman - because he fucking rocks.And Chuck P. when he's not too, "Palahnesqe"...

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 5 months ago #90252

• nekobun
  • Stage B - 2
Samuel Coleridge and e. e. cummings are almost definitely my favorite poets. Most of my literary fandom is sci-fi in nature, though; Heinlein and Bradbury are always good times, and greater still in my book is William Gibson's work, cyberpunk and otherwise. It's gotten to the point where I've been told I actually talk in a fashion similar to how Gibson writes.Other than that, I'm big on weird head trips, which I'm more than set for between Robert Anton Wilson and Chuck Palahniuk. The former, I like because he's completely batshit insane, but manages to be so with a completely straight face, and thus is always a fun read as you're trying to figure out all the paths and layers in his work, while finding most of them go nowhere at all. Palahniuk, on the other hand, is one of the few authors I've ever read who manages to actually create a visceral reaction with his work, be it pulling at your heart or twisting up your stomach.Oh, and when it comes to philosophers, I LOOOOVE Nietzsche. And many, many people hate me for that.

Your Favorite Writer... 14 years 5 months ago #90254

• asmoron
  • Level 4
Oh, and we can't forget the Duke.