Forum

TOPIC: why are ebook readers so expensive?

why are ebook readers so expensive? 9 years 8 months ago #381486

• jay irv
  • Level 4
I happened to stumble onto the barnes and noble website and noticed that they have their own ebook reader that is of course that standard price of $259. I am not very familiar with the technology involved in these devices but something tells me that it should be anywhere near the price of even the cheapest laptop.
Originally Posted by EvilWall "Whatever happened to the good old days when you could just hit a bitch over the head with a club?"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

why are ebook readers so expensive? 9 years 8 months ago #381488

• EvilWall
  • Stage A - 1
jay irv;381486 wrote:
I happened to stumble onto the barnes and noble website and noticed that they have their own ebook reader that is of course that standard price of $259. I am not very familiar with the technology involved in these devices but something tells me that it should be anywhere near the price of even the cheapest laptop.
I agree, particularly since Netbooks are right around that price.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

why are ebook readers so expensive? 9 years 8 months ago #381495

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm kind of fascinated by them, and I've been thinking about getting my Mother one. Let's look at the market that would probably buy this: Probably read a LOT! No.. seriously, I know it's obvious.Get books when they first come out. New hardcovers can be expensive and heavy.If they are reading a lot, they probably don't spend much time on computers so a netbook wouldn't probably fit their lifestyle.Now look at the tech:The new Kindle is pretty sexy. Battery life is super long (4 days on). Free 3G connectivity so there is no need for a computer, internet access, or WiFi. Built in dictionary. Font size adjustment, for those older readers. Solid navigation controls. Simple web browser. It weighs about 10 ouncesTo be honest I think the at $279 the Kindle wireless reading device would be worth it if you are a book lover that reads a book or two a month.

why are ebook readers so expensive? 9 years 8 months ago #381516

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
The e-ink displays are pretty cutting edge. That's most of the expense. The Nook also has a touchscreen LCD on top of that. I'm actually surprised it's a little less than the Kindle.Another thing is they come with a free lifetime 3G wireless connection. That has to be accounted for upfront probably.Still it wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing cheaper e-readers, partially subsidized by newspapers to get you to buy a subscription.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

why are ebook readers so expensive? 9 years 6 months ago #385367

• dyoung
  • Level 1
How much are they at amazon?

why are ebook readers so expensive? 9 years 6 months ago #385372

• DeadMan
  • Stage A - 1
The new kindle is $259. It also reads PDFs and play audio books.My mother just got one and was talking about how much she will save as she is usually the one to buy new books all the time.
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake