Forum

TOPIC: Book Trailers?

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365377

• Tulare
  • Stage A - 1
I have 3 options when is comes to my publishing contract. They are an audio book, a book trailer, or a web site.Now I already own the domain name I want and I think I am capable of getting the website together. So I am torn between the audio book and book trailer. I have read that a lot of companies are finding success with their book trailers, but I think I would rather take the audio book option.What I am wondering is if anyone has watched any book trailers and if they have liked them? Or even is there any talk of these trailers going on at all?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365380

• Duraly
  • Level 10
What is a book? And secondly....what is a book trailer?
[psnid]Duraly[/psnid]

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365387

Yeah I never heard of a book trailer. Is that like a movie trailer for a book?
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365396

• Tulare
  • Stage A - 1
That is actually what a book trailer is. Sometimes it is just images and a narator. Sometimes they will add music and even have some actors.I have titled the book as Shepherd's Tale. I think for some reason that I tried to hold a point back when I would tell people about the book, but the fact that the main character is an angel (a cherub to be acurate) is not really a plot twist. The story is very much about an angel given a task and how he realizes just who he is and what he was sent to do. It is a bit deeper than that, but I just feeling like expaining things gives to much away.

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365398

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
Tulare;365396 wrote:
That is actually what a book trailer is. Sometimes it is just images and a narator. Sometimes they will add music and even have some actors.I have titled the book as Shepherd's Tale. I think for some reason that I tried to hold a point back when I would tell people about the book, but the fact that the main character is an angel (a cherub to be acurate) is not really a plot twist. The story is very much about an angel given a task and how he realizes just who he is and what he was sent to do. It is a bit deeper than that, but I just feeling like expaining things gives to much away.
I'd go with the audio book. But I would make sure your publisher authorizes you to run your own website for the book first off. The contract may limit how you advertise.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365402

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Never heard of book trailers before. If there's proof it works on your intended audience then maybe it makes sense, but an audiobook may expand the audience further.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365403

• Tulare
  • Stage A - 1
I do retain all rights, which is another reason I am going with this publisher. I'm not sure I have a reason to have a website ATM, but I didn't really have an intention other than information about the book and a link to the publisher's store to buy it.I do know that I am restricted on selling the book myself though. As in buying copies and then actually making profit off those copies.

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365407

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
Tulare;365403 wrote:
I do retain all rights, which is another reason I am going with this publisher. I'm not sure I have a reason to have a website ATM, but I didn't really have an intention other than information about the book and a link to the publisher's store to buy it.I do know that I am restricted on selling the book myself though. As in buying copies and then actually making profit off those copies.
Then I'd probably suggest doing the audio book, as they tend to sell well enough for the format to be alive in the first place. Since few have heard of book trailers, that should go a little ways towards proving the effectiveness of that type of advertising. A website would be great, so long as its well put together. If you get the ball rolling I'd be glad to help with aesthetic suggestions.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365415

I've seen a number of book trailers while browsing on Amazon. It wouldn't be anything dramatic like you would expect for a movie trailer, but, from what I've seen, its basically the author or someone from the publisher talking about the book (depending on the genre), what its about and what is to be expected.Just an example, I caught word that Dennis Leary had put out a book within the last year and went onto Amazon to investigate. They had a trailer on Amazon for his book which was basically him sitting down for something like 2 minutes and talking like only Dennis Leary talks.
[gamercard]MisterMasterFu[/gamercard][psnid]MisterDrunkenFu[/psnid]

Book Trailers? 10 years 10 months ago #365424

• Tulare
  • Stage A - 1
Thanks for all the input guys, and for those wondering I am pretty sure I am going with the audio book.