Forum

TOPIC: How to get a book published?

How to get a book published? 11 years 1 month ago #360884

• Zitro
  • Level 1
Has anyone here ever gotten a book published? If so, any tips?For years I've had one particular idea in the back of my head. Now I want to take action and get it published. What are pubs looking for? Does a really symbolic/interpretable novel have no chance in today's market?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to get a book published? 11 years 1 month ago #360886

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
I've never been published but, it is my understanding that if it is written well it doesn't matter what it's about there is always a market. Get an agent to shop it around to publishers. You want to find an agent that has relationships with publishers that deal with the genre you are trying to hit.

How to get a book published? 11 years 1 month ago #360887

you can self publish http://www.lulu.com/
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)

How to get a book published? 11 years 1 month ago #360900

• arefx
  • Stage A - 1
I'm just curious as to what your novel is about... maybe if it's something we'd want to read it would be something a publisher would be interested in, without giving out too much detail of course.
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro

How to get a book published? 11 years 1 month ago #360919

• LowVoltag3
I think you'd have to write it first, then spread it around, get some reviews, then you get approached, or you approach a publisher. all publishing means is, "a loan". It's like "Getting Signed" in the music industry. All it means it getting a loan. the publisher aka Loaner, pays for the printing and copying and distributing, and you have to make sure that your book sells, because if it doesn't, you are going to have to pay that "publishing" money back to the publisher aka loaner. And if it does sell well, you still pay the money back at interest.

How to get a book published? 11 years 6 days ago #363952

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
BuckFarack187;360919 wrote:
I think you'd have to write it first, then spread it around, get some reviews, then you get approached, or you approach a publisher. all publishing means is, "a loan". It's like "Getting Signed" in the music industry. All it means it getting a loan. the publisher aka Loaner, pays for the printing and copying and distributing, and you have to make sure that your book sells, because if it doesn't, you are going to have to pay that "publishing" money back to the publisher aka loaner. And if it does sell well, you still pay the money back at interest.
That's not how book publishing, or the music industry, works at all. You sign the contract, which sells your intellectual property and distribution rights to the publisher or label, for an advance (a fairly small amount of money) and royalties (on average a few cents per copies sold.) YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE OF DISTRIBUTING THE WORK, that is the right they publisher is buying from you. It would be illegal and a breach of contract for you to distribute copies of an intellectual property you sold under contract to a publisher. They handle all advertisements. If they lose money on the deal, in no way do you have to pay them back. They just wont sign you on for a second.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

How to get a book published? 11 years 5 days ago #364013

• EvilWall
  • Stage A - 1
Oomba;363952 wrote:
That's not how book publishing, or the music industry, works at all. You sign the contract, which sells your intellectual property and distribution rights to the publisher or label, for an advance (a fairly small amount of money) and royalties (on average a few cents per copies sold.) YOU ARE NOT IN CHARGE OF DISTRIBUTING THE WORK, that is the right they publisher is buying from you. It would be illegal and a breach of contract for you to distribute copies of an intellectual property you sold under contract to a publisher. They handle all advertisements. If they lose money on the deal, in no way do you have to pay them back. They just wont sign you on for a second.
Kinda like a record deal, except you can't preform live. :P
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How to get a book published? 11 years 3 days ago #364237

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
EvilWall;364013 wrote:
Kinda like a record deal, except you can't preform live. :P
Exactly. You don't really have the merchandising opportunities for books, unless you're J.K. Rowling. But you do have the potential to do a higher volume of sales. Chances are, you won't though. It's pretty bad when you consider the standard royalty is 10% per copy sold, off the WHOLESALE price, not the retail price, and the chance of success. Most recording artists make there money from merchandise sold while on tour, as ticket prices generally provide no profit (sometimes even lose money from tickets) when you have a 30 man crew to pay, and several buses to keep gassed up, as well as the rental fee for venues, and the cost of pyrotechnics and other stage effects and equipment upkeep.At least writers get the opportunity to do signings, that generally gets them anywhere from 500-5,000 dollars per signing.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

How to get a book published? 10 years 11 months ago #364744

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
I read this article on CNN in regards to Web and Print-on-Demand Publishing. Check it out.Good luck.

How to get a book published? 10 years 11 months ago #365376

• Tulare
  • Stage A - 1
I am about to sign a contract with Tate Publishing, they are a little different than most self-publishers if you want to call them that.Things I have learned so far: Getting published is not easy, a lot of people will say if you have a good story it will happen, what they fail to mention is whether is happens in a year, or twenty years it still falls under the "it will happen" phrase. Agents are supposed to improve your chances, but I haven't personally met anyone that attributes their getting published to an agent. The best way is to get your submission to a publisher, and make sure you follow their guide lines for submissions (some require double spacing, some require a certain word count).If it is your first time, you will have very little chance without having a complete story. There is no rule for what size a novel should be, but typically the word count of a novel is 80,000 words. Don't pay to much attention to pages since that is affecting not only by font size, but also by the margins that will be used at the time of publishing.Getting other people to read the book and give you opinions would be great, but I was very unsuccessful in that. My mother read it, we have a very honest relationship and she has read thousands of books. When she told me how much she enjoyed it that is when I started trying to shop it around. Also as far as getting others to read it, between ink, paper and folders I believe it cost me about $30 for each book I want to pass out.Many main stream publishers will not accept submissions at all. You will either have to go through an agent, or there are sites that will post you manuscript(or a portion thereof) that publishers will look through to find authors.Now I do not "know" this, but it is a very strong opinion:The film world always seems to be looking for the next big thing. The publication world is not, once something seems to be a solid seller there is a lot of copy cat stuff being done. If you have something fresh and new, bless you for being original, and stick to what you have. I know most people don't like the wait it out answer, and I am one of those, but if you have something you want published wait it out and stick to your originality.I think this is a great site with a lot of options, they offer ISBN as well. This is a big deal when it come to publishing. If a company picks you up they will take care of the ISBN, if you self publish you really need this number for a few important reasons. Being able to track sales and get you book listed. http://www.selfpublishing.comI also thought this was an interesting site, or maybe I just liked playing with the calculator. Using something like this though you will be responsible for everything, including editting. :( http://www.48hrbooks.com/This is how I am going, they accepted my submission and they will very much be able to advertise the book to my target audience. They are very expensive if you look at them as a self publisher, they require a $4000 start up, but they also commit $20000 on their end. If you sell 5000 books, you investment will be returned. They state that they accept less than 4% of submissions(on their site it may state 5%) in the acceptance letter I got. http://www.tatepublishing.com/Edit: I forgot to mention that many publishers will want submissions made as a PDF. Open Office does have an option to convert to PDF. I have used it, and though it is not perfect, it does the job.