Forum

TOPIC: What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List?

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 month ago #253348

• Rayo
  • Stage A - 1
I can say it is for him,you really should look into the House of M storyline though.Shit was awesome
[gamercard]Sir Rayo[/gamercard]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 month ago #253355

• Blue Falcon
  • Stage A - 1
Flavius;253342 wrote:
Wow, seems like I missed a hell of a lot more than I even initially thought.Thanks for that, BF...definitely puts some things in perspective. So everything in your post is part of the current Marvel canon, at least for the time being?
And to think, this has only been since 2004. I haven't any clue about anything major prior [last time I was reading was back in 200...1? Maybe '02? I don't have any idea what happened during that time. of '01-'04 prior to AD]Otherwise, all those stores are in continuity.
Myspace.XBL: CobaltFalconV

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 month ago #253493

• Green
  • Stage A - 3
Is there anything worthwhile out there to get me back into capes books? I gave up on DC after Identity Crisis's mind-numbingly retarded ending and I've never really been into Marvel, with the exception of the Earth X trilogy.Since then I've been enjoying a few of Vertigo's offerings, like the aforementioned Y the Last Man. Everyone should really pick up the first few trades of that series, it's excellent stuff.
the other lesbian

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 4 weeks ago #255988

• inertname
  • Level 9
Green;253493 wrote:
Is there anything worthwhile out there to get me back into capes books? I gave up on DC after Identity Crisis's mind-numbingly retarded ending and I've never really been into Marvel, with the exception of the Earth X trilogy.
There are a few current superhero series I really enjoy.Two of them being lesser known X-men titles, one thing they have in common is that the big summer events actually affect their titles, unlike the main books where nothing really is changed most of the time. Peter David's X-Factor, which is probably the overall better of the two titles as it is more consistent, revolves around the character Madrox and his detective agency after the events of House of M. Can be enjoyed reading in trades or month by month as enough happens to justify following it every month. The other X-men title I really enjoy is Kyle and Yost's New X-men which was probably the title most drastically affected by House of M, and the first year of their arc was probably the most exciting X-men stuff I've read. Before Kyle and Yost's run there was another group of authors who wrote for, I believe, 20 issues. This stuff is alright, much lighter tone than the next run, but it may be necessary in order to care about the characters when the Kyle and Yost stuff starts. With the main X-men titles, all but 198 of the mutants losing their powers did not really affect their main cast much, but in New X-men it causes a lot of change. Which lead from the title from being a fairly decent highschool drama with mutants, to what it is now, dealing with the mutants now being so vulnerable and a dying race. It remains to be seen if the second year will be as good as the first. Oh and as a Y: The Last Man fan, you should also check out Runaways, also by Brian K. Vaughn. You can get the first run of the title(18 issues, and also the best of the series) for around 30$. About a group of kids who find out their parents are supervillains and run away. His forty two issue run on the series ends next month, and Joss Whedon will be taking over the writing.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 4 weeks ago #255998

Green;253493 wrote:
Is there anything worthwhile out there to get me back into capes books? I gave up on DC after Identity Crisis's mind-numbingly retarded ending and I've never really been into Marvel, with the exception of the Earth X trilogy.Since then I've been enjoying a few of Vertigo's offerings, like the aforementioned Y the Last Man. Everyone should really pick up the first few trades of that series, it's excellent stuff.
deadpool can solve anything.
X-box live: Supernaut113

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 4 weeks ago #256105

I keep telling myself that I am going to read Young Avengers but other stuff keeps getting in the way. (Just hopped onto Adjectiveless X-Men starting at the formation of Rogue's team. Also started the Earth X trilogy.)
.. .-..---...-. -.
..-

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 week ago #259315

Rayo;251631 wrote:
Deadpool is popular with me, hes seriously the most underrated character of all time.Any comic hes in, i'm guaranteed a laugh
i love that deadpool has no memory except that he likes radiohead

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 week ago #259376

• -Beck-
  • Stage A - 1
Comic noob here. Picked up The Dark Tower #1 and loved it. Got a few freebie comics at the store as well. The freebie I enjoyed the most was called Fables. I'm thinking of getting the bound volumes of that one. If you have suggestion for me, keep in mind I'm not too big on "super heroes" (don't want to get sued :p), but am interested in grittier, slightly more based in realistic stuff. Also wouldn't mind stuff in the bizarre humor category either.Thanks. :D

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 week ago #259407

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
-Beck-;259376 wrote:
Comic noob here. Picked up The Dark Tower #1 and loved it. Got a few freebie comics at the store as well. The freebie I enjoyed the most was called Fables. I'm thinking of getting the bound volumes of that one. If you have suggestion for me, keep in mind I'm not too big on "super heroes" (don't want to get sued :p), but am interested in grittier, slightly more based in realistic stuff. Also wouldn't mind stuff in the bizarre humor category either.Thanks. :D
It's definitely not based in reality, but if you're looking for a sometimes gritty, often bizarre, yet well-written comic...my favorite series is and always will be DC's "The Sandman". You can pick up the collected editions now at a very reasonable price. My personal favorite storyline is "The Doll's House", with "Dream of a 1,000 Cats" and "Calliope" being two of my favorite single-issue stories.I'd also recommend Grant Morrison's "Animal Man", also for DC. Yes, he wears tights...sometimes...but that's just about where any other sort of tie to mainstream comics ends. It's a trippy story with a fantastic ending.Perhaps most fitting your requirements would be Denny O'Neil's "The Question" series, yet again, for DC. It's a very gritty, very noir approach to comics storytelling. The subject matter is often violent, but never just for the sake of being violent. Great, great stuff...and as an aside, it also has the best non-Wolverine, Wolverine story to ever appear in a DC comic...ever! (I think it's issue #4 or maybe #7...will have to go back and check, but the character's name is Volk ;)).Finally, oh...why the hell not:Dark Knight ReturnsThe Killing JokeEscape From Arkham AsylumBats is and always will be my favorite character ever...and these are just a few of the reasons why.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 1 week ago #259411

silverfirebolt;256105 wrote:
I keep telling myself that I am going to read Young Avengers but other stuff keeps getting in the way. (Just hopped onto Adjectiveless X-Men starting at the formation of Rogue's team. Also started the Earth X trilogy.)
I've read Earth and Universe X. I love the premise of why super heroes were created. Still need to read Paradise X.
Behold, the Death\'s Hand.