Forum

TOPIC: What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List?

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253124

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
Good Luck Flavius. I am lucky enuff to have a dedicated comics spot down the street from me.(and it doesn't smell like armpits) Larry's comic is a great comic store, if anyone is lives in north eastern MA stop in. Thier current is current and they have a lot of back issues and rare gems. I believe they have been in business for like 16 years. :smt006
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253130

• havok978
  • Level 6
I don't know how many of the local shops I used to visit are still around. I'm really getting the urge to check one out again.
[gamercard]havok979[/gamercard]
Wii Friend Code: 0041-2774-6791-8109PS3 Friend Name: havok978

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253144

• Mayor Young
  • Administrator
Greetings all. I didn't see this thread until today :-) I'm sure many folks who see and reply to this thread are going to say many of the comic milestones that I would list off as "Must Read" story arcs and titles so I wanted to make a case for a series that, in my humble opinion, doesn't get any of the shine it deserves, and that series is StormWatch. StormWatch was one of the early Imgae Comics titles created by Jim Lee about a U.N. sponsored superhero team. I kinda disagree with the wiki in the fact that this book was typical 90's comic fare because though it is there was something about this group of characters that made them less hokey from the rest. Maybe only a little but still. What I can whole heartedly agree with the wiki on is that Warren Ellis run on this book is hands down the pivotal point in all of these characters stories and is the undisputable foundation for the modern WildStorm Universe (for whatever that's worth) It's this Ellis run beginning with issue 37 that I am really here to recommend. This run really takes a look at what superhero comics had been doing for the past 10 year and turns it on its ear. Some might say Ellis is just making an entire group of anit-heroes but really what the run does is try to ground superheroes in reality. Or at least as much as you can ground a guy being completely made out of gas into reality. If you read the books before 37 it will endear you to the characters kind of in the same way early Harry Potter books make you like everyone before they give everyone the shaft. Difference being that in a Warren Ellis book that may not only be a figure of speech (See AuthorityVol. 1 ) Bottom line it's good reading and sets the stage for a number of awesome books that Warren has created such as The Authority, Planetary, Global Frequency, and to a lesser degree The Monarchy. If you read those final StormWatch runs you'll have all the foundation you need for all those books I mentioned above. It seems I was the only one reading them :-) because when I speak to other comic fans they may have heard of the book, but have seldom picked one up. So while many may say "who?" when you talk about Jackson King or Jenny Sparks in my book these are must read characters.P.S. Stormwatch had an Aliens cross over that is a must read as well. It was the first inter company cross over that I had seen that actually affected what happend in the book. Unless you count the Batman Spawn crossover which was to a much lesser degree :-)P.P.S Flavius sorry to hear about you comic shop experience. Let us know how the new joint turns out.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253160

• JoEDigiTECH
Good post Mr. Young. You reminded me of another series I got into in the early Image days that I thought didn't get much love... Prophet. The fist few issues weren't so great because of the Rob Leifield artwork but when Stephen Platt took over I took on a great agressive look that I really liked. Anyone else read this one?

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253165

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Wow, Mayor, I just might have to check out the backstock at the shop today and see if I can track some old Stormwatch issues down. It's odd, now that you mention it: I remember picking up almost everthing Image Comics was churning out around the time they started up...except Stormwatch (and I have no clue as to why). Reading your praise for it makes me want to give a try.Oh, and I'll let you guys know how it goes this time around...headed there in an hour or so. ;)EDIT:Wow, what a difference a good comics shop makes! This place was pretty damn big, bigger than most of the comics shops I frequented back in the day. I mean, the sucker had numbered aisles, for Buddha's sake, how crazy is that?When I first walked in, I noticed a larger, open area to the left of me, the numbered aisles to the right, and directly in front of me was a large, familiar rack of books with a "New Comics" sign hanging over them. Can you guess where I headed first? ;)On my way to the new comics, I passed by a row of a half-dozen or so tables jammed into the center of the aisle, making it difficult not to notice (not to mention, navigate ;)). On the tables were bagged and boarded comics, along with several signs all saying the same thing:"All Variant Cover Comics...Buy 1 Get 1 Free!!!"Good grief, Charlie Brown...they're still trying to pimp these things? That was one of the early 90's horrors I was hoping not to relive, and here it was, staring me in the face bigger than Giant Man! But I was not dissuaded and sallied forth, my eagerness and anticipation still in full effect. That is, until...Strike Two!All of the new comics were already bagged and boarded! Now, don't get me wrong...I like the idea of getting a board and a bag in which to place my comic "free" with every issue, but how am I supposed to check out the stuff on the inside to see whether it's something that will sincerely hold my interest, or merely a bunch of crap hidden behind an eye-popping cover (another comics trick I loathe)? I put it out of my head, thinking about just how long it had been since I was in a comics shop surrounded by all of the geeky goodness, and decided to simply let it go and just pick up a few books that piqued my interest at first blush.I'm facing a bunch of the Marvel 'Civil Wars' books. Nice marketing move there, comics shop owner guy...but not where I want to start. On a hunch, I turn left and walk towards the end of the aisle. I turn again to face the rack and notice I'm in the "A" section...new comics organized alphabetically? Nice! As I look over the books...well, look over their covers at least...I occasionally pick one or two up and stare at the art on the cover, as well as the names of the artists and writers. For a second, I feel as though its 1991 all over again. Grant Morrison, Howard Chaykin, Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio, Rob Liefeld (boo!), Mike McKone, etc, etc...hell, these are all the same guys that were churning out work years ago! I rubbed my eyes, but it only brought about more feelings of familiarity, as I not only stared at the expected staples of the industry like Superman, Batman & Spider-man, but also WildC.A.T.s, Wetworks & Cable as well. I couldn't help but give a slight smile, but in retrospect, I'm thinking that had more to do with me subconsciously seeking out the familiar in a vast sea of change. I'll try to remember that next time, and actively seek out something new.One "new" thing didn't get past my dwindling eyesight, however, was the cover price of the books. $2.99 and up? You gotta' be kidding me! When I left comics, I knew they were playing around with offering regular editions and deluxe editions with better paper stock and covers for a premium price ($1.99 back then, I think), but I honestly figured that it would have gone the way of the dinosaurs after the crash. Looks like I was wrong on that count, as the handful of books that I picked up ran me about $25 with tax (wasn't going to go crazy my first trip back, and believe me, I could have done it easily!).Speaking of which, what did I pick up?Marvel's Civil War...issue #s 1, 3 (no #2 in the store, dammit, just like the early 90's speculator days again!), 4, 5 & 6.Batman & Robin #4 (my all-time favorite character scribed by THE Frank Miller and drawn by THE Jim Lee?...no way in hell was I passing this one up).WildC.A.T.s #1 (and how could I pass this one up?...almost seemed like my own personal "thumbs up" sign from the comics gods that be...and with Grant Morrison writing and the aforementioned Jim Lee handling the pencils, I wasn't about to put this one back on the shelf, either).Bottom line...despite what some of my bitching here might lead you to believe, I had a great time. The store is actually right up the street from campus and I have no doubt that I'll be returning soon. It's getting late, but I'll follow up sometime this weekend with my impressions of the books I picked up. Just don't forget, these are the impressions of someone who hasn't touched a new comic for a really, really long time.Oh, and that larger, open area to the left? It was for D&D, Magic, Heroclix, etc, etc...cool stuff if you're interested in it, I suppose. At the same time, I wish people would just keep their chocolate out of my peanut butter and leave me be! :p

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253315

• JoEDigiTECH
I hate when the board new books, especially Marvel because they usually don't show any cover art that pertains to the story. They should at least put out one copy unwrapped.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253326

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
today I am gonna pick up Ultimate Spiderman volume 13 and Ultimate Fantastic 4 volume 1. maybe try and get some civil war, though I am a little nervous because I am not that hardcore so I am afraid of getting lost in it all
XBL: Neezie1990PSN: sillycoreSteam: Neezie3DS: 3737-9522-5541

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253329

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
I agree with you completely, JoE...at least give me some way of figuring out what's in there.alexsan: I'm about as un-hardcore as you could get at this point, and I found the Civil War stuff not too difficult to follow. Believe me, in the first issue it was just question after question for me...The New Warriors are a reality-tv show team???Marvel Girl is back, except now her name is Rachel (Summers, I'm guessing)???Nightthrasher is now a chick???Hercules is back???Sentinels watching the X-Men's every move, instead of just trying to kill them???The list of questions goes on and on and, admittedly, I've still yet to answer 90-95% of them. However, I really don't feel that got in the way of me enjoying the story.That being said, I've never really been much of a fan of Mark Millar's writing. I absolutely love the story concept here and the dramatic back and forth, but overall, I found the writing pretty stilted and more along the lines of..."hey, now we need to get to this point in the story, how few panels can we use to make that transition?" It's pretty jarring stuff. I also don't like some of the characterizations at all (particularly Spider-man...what the hell happened to him???), but again, that's probably more me being out of comics so long than anything else.All of that should be very spoiler free and in continuing with that, I have to say, I love the way they handle Dr. Strange and The Punisher in this series...makes me want to go back and pick up their regular books, actually.I've read through everything, and I have some...well...not-so-nice things to say about Batman & Robin, but I'll save that for a later post.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253339

• Blue Falcon
  • Stage A - 1
Sentinels watching the X-Men's every move, instead of just trying to kill them???
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
Myspace.XBL: CobaltFalconV

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #253342

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Wow, seems like I missed a hell of a lot more than I even initially thought.Thanks for that, BF...definitely puts some things in perspective. So everything in your post is part of the current Marvel canon, at least for the time being?