Forum

TOPIC: What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List?

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251626

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
I haven't read one in about 10 years, but I still feel the itch every now and again. Who knows? Perhaps the show will get me back into reading. Gee, my wife will love that one. :pAnyways, these are just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll come up with some more. More importantly, I'm wanting to see what you guys who are more "up-to-date" are into and what I should be checking out once I'm pulled back into the scene. ;)1. Dark Knight Returns: It's almost become a cliche to mention this mini-series, but really and truly, it is my favorite comics story EVER...and this is coming from someone who'd been both a Marvel and a DC reader and fan as far back as I can remember. Did you know many colleges have DKR as assigned reading for first year English courses? It's that damn good. Frank Miller with Lynn Varley's colors is that damn good. I've never read a set of comics that put me into the head of the characters as well as this one.2. Squadron Supreme: This was really just Marvel's thinly veiled take on the Justice League and you know what? I like Marvel's version better! Originally a 12-issue maxi-series (each of which I proudly own, but need to locate), this is a more "adult" version of the classic supergroup and was a big precursor, believe it or not, to many of the supergroups that formed afterwards, particularly the plethora of Image supergroups that came in the early 90's (although they were ripping from classic Claremont/Byrne X-Men as well). Pretty sure you can find this in a collected edition and it's well worth hunting down.3. The Uncanny X-Men & The New Teen Titans: There were several one-shot Marvel/DC crossovers back in the day, but this was, by far, the best. This book encompasses, in my opinion, the best iterations of both of these teams. The writing was spot-on (can't recall if it was Claremont or Jim Shooter right now as I'm doing all this from memory) and the art was beautiful (George Perez, I think?). Hell, it even featured the Phoenix! How could you possibly go wrong? I submit to you, ladies and gentlemen, that you cannot go wrong if you pick this one up.How about you guys?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251627

• Rayo
  • Stage A - 1
I am still seeking everything with a deadpool appearance
[gamercard]Sir Rayo[/gamercard]

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251629

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Rayo;251627 wrote:
Really? Is he still a popular character? I think I have his first appearance somewhere...wasn't it in one of the last issues of New Mutants?

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251631

• Rayo
  • Stage A - 1
Deadpool is popular with me, hes seriously the most underrated character of all time.Any comic hes in, i'm guaranteed a laugh
[gamercard]Sir Rayo[/gamercard]

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251632

• havok978
  • Level 6
I haven't actively collected in years. I think the last time I was really serious was around the Age of Apocalypse. Some point after that I picked up the Onslaught saga in trade paperback form. If I was gonna get back in, I think I'd like to catch up on some of the stuff I've missed/am missing, like House of M and Civil War.
[gamercard]havok979[/gamercard]
Wii Friend Code: 0041-2774-6791-8109PS3 Friend Name: havok978

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251634

• Blue Falcon
  • Stage A - 1
A work in progress list is as follows...300Absolute Batman: Long HalloweenAbsolute Crisis on Infinite EarthsAbsolute Dark KnightAbsolute DC: The New FrontierAbsolute Kingdom ComeAbsolute Sandman, Vol. 1Absolute WatchmenAstro City Vol. 1: Life in the Big CityAstro City Vol. 2: ConfessionAstro City Vol. 3: Family AlbumAstro City Vol. 4: Tarnished AngelAstro City Vol. 5: Local HeroesBatman: Year One Deluxe EditionBlanketsBullet PointsCivil WarCivil War: Front LineComplete Invincible Library Vol.1DMZ Vol. 1: On the GroundDMZ Vol. 2: Body of a JournalistFables Vol. 0: 1001 Nights of SnowfallFables Vol. 1: Legends in ExileFables Vol. 2: Animal FarmFables Vol. 3: Storybook LoveFables Vol. 4: March of the Wooden SoldiersFables Vol. 5: The Mean SeasonsFables Vol. 6: HomelandsFables Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)Fables Vol. 8: WolvesFantastic Four/Iron Man: Big in JapanMouse Guard Volume One: Fall 1182Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Vol. 1: This is the Way They WantNextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. Vol. 2 : I Kick Your FacePride of BaghdadRunaways HC Vol. 1Runaways HC Vol. 2Runaways HC Vol. 3Spider-Man: ReignThe 9/11 ReportTop 10 (Book 1)Top 10 (Book 2)Top 10 (Smax)Top 10 (The Forty-Niners)Transmetropolitan Vol. 0: Tales of Human WasteTransmetropolitan Vol. 1: Back on the StreetTransmetropolitan Vol. 2: Lust for LifeTransmetropolitan Vol. 3: Year of the BastardTransmetropolitan Vol. 4: The New ScumTransmetropolitan Vol. 5: Lonely CityTransmetropolitan Vol. 6: Gouge AwayTransmetropolitan Vol. 7: Spider's ThrashTransmetropolitan Vol. 8: DirgeTransmetropolitan Vol. 9: The CureTransmetropolitan Vol. 10: One More TimeUltimatesUltimates IIUtopia's Avenger Vol. 1V for VendettaX-Factor Vol. 1: The Longest NightX-Factor Vol. 2: Life and Death MattersX-Men: Fairy TalesX-Men: First ClassY: The Last ManYoung Avengers Vol. 1: SidekicksYoung Avengers Vol. 2: Family MattersI'm strictly going hardcover/TPB, and even then, I'm lookingback on maybe checking some other series such as Marvel's Earth X , and maybe considering going back and checking on the Marvel Essentials...y'know, back when comics weren't about killing and ressurecting the same characters every ten issues or so. I've been mainly looking into DC stuff initially thus far [although I'm not kicking Marvel to the curb either], because I was strictly a Marvel child back when I used to read. And I want to look into the smaller brands as well.I've been doing my homework lately, let's just say. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be finding some of this stuff, and some of it hasn't been put into TPB yet, but I'll be keeping my eyes open.
Myspace.XBL: CobaltFalconV

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251654

havok978;251632 wrote:
I haven't actively collected in years. I think the last time I was really serious was around the Age of Apocalypse. Some point after that I picked up the Onslaught saga in trade paperback form. If I was gonna get back in, I think I'd like to catch up on some of the stuff I've missed/am missing, like House of M and Civil War.
I just began collecting again after a 20 year break. I have been looking for an Onslaught trade. Do you know where you purchased it and what it's called? I've been visiting stores going through the $1 boxes so I can get caught up on the past years. The new books I'm collecting are:1.Civil War-great series. I'm learning to hate Iron Man.2. Annihilation- I've always loved the Marvel cosmic characters.3. New Avengers4. Onslaught Reborn-I'm a sucker for a story featuring several heroes.
Behold, the Death\'s Hand.

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251666

• Green
  • Stage A - 3
The only thing I read consistently these days is Y the Last Man.
the other lesbian

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251692

Rayo;251627 wrote:
ditto.
X-box live: Supernaut113

What's On Your *MUST READ* Comics List? 13 years 2 months ago #251696

• Krysis
  • Stage A - 1
Let's see...300Batman: The Dark Knight ReturnsBatman: The Killing JokeBatman: KnightfallBatman: The Man Who LaughsBatman: A Death in the FamilyBatman: Year OneV For VendettaSin City: To Hell & BackSin City: Booze, Broads, & BulletsMarvel Civil War series100 BulletsAnything Punisher relatedAnything Daredevil relatedAnything Deadpool relatedDMZSpawnPreacherHellblazer
^^^Mote^^^
Myspace