Forum

TOPIC: X-Men Comics

X-Men Comics 13 years 3 months ago #208671

After seeing The Last Stand, I'm in the mood to read some Xmen comics and learn more about them. I've read only a couple comics. I used to watch the early 90's cartoon. Any recommendation on comics to pick up? Preferrably the trade paperbacks where you get a whole bunch of reprints. I'm not looking to pick up individual comic books.Thanks in advance.
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

X-Men Comics 13 years 3 months ago #208674

• Captain N
  • Stage A - 1
Essential X-men books d00d. They've got tons of comics crammed into one book for like fifteen bucks. Reprints of the originals. Gonna pick up a few myself.

X-Men Comics 13 years 3 months ago #208746

• inertname
  • Level 9
I liked Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men, I think there are about 8 trades of that. A lot of people also love the current Astonishing X-Men but I didn't find it to be all that great, still a fun read though.

X-Men Comics 13 years 3 months ago #211093

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Damn you all for making me feel old:X-Men: The Dark Phoenix SagaBefore he retired from the series, Chris Claremont gave the characters personalities like no other writer could. Still my favorite X-Men storyline, and the tpbs are really easy to find.

X-Men Comics 13 years 3 months ago #211444

I am really enjoying Astonishing X-men...its a great read if you already know most of X-men lore and want to jump into something current (i got most of it from the cartoon), apparently most of the recent X-men stuff was lame, so this is the best current thing going (im sure they've put out some trades)it also ties into the movie , i didn't see it but theres something about a cure right? Astonishing X-men delves into that issue deeper (it also a heavily character-interaction driven comic, which is good in my opinion)Essential X-men vol 1 or 2 has the dark phoenix saga, and its pretty cheap and has some other story arcs in it too
This sentence fragment no verb.

X-Men Comics 13 years 2 months ago #223259

Flavius wrote:
Damn you all for making me feel old:X-Men: The Dark Phoenix SagaBefore he retired from the series, Chris Claremont gave the characters personalities like no other writer could. Still my favorite X-Men storyline, and the tpbs are really easy to find.
he has since returned and is currently destroying the shi`ar, as well as the rest of his late 70's - mid 80's work.
X-box live: Supernaut113

Late Input 13 years 2 months ago #223380

• Mayor Young
  • Administrator
The Astonishing X-Men books are great IMHO. I would also suggest checking out the Legion Quest storylines as they lead into the Age of Apoclypse which are all great reads. Those stories were originially intended to end the X-Books period but the opted against it due to high sales. They also did some 10 year anniversary Age of Apocolypse stuff not that long ago so don't get the two confused. The anniversarry stuff is cool but not as good as the original of course :-) You may also want to read some of those orginal X-Men comics. The art is done by Jim Lee and still holds up, once again, IMHO.

X-Men Comics 12 years 9 months ago #252990

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
Dude. You can pick up a lot of trade paperbacks for X-Men, I liked Executioners Song series myself. I have to say that the Age of Apocalypse was a great transition from the old marvel way of doing things to a leap in quality printing. In my opinion though is that if you really want to get into a series get a subscription through marvel (they have some good deals now) and pick up some trade paperbacks too. They have 40 years of X-Men on DVD/ROM . It is about fifty bucks and boasts 485pages of printable covers and strips. If you are looking to just read them and not collect them this is a great deal. I have the spider-man one. Its is all high res PDFs. The menus are easy to navigate and is broken down in time periods. It is a lot cheaper and saves a lot of space this way.

X-Men Comics 12 years 9 months ago #253004

• havok978
  • Level 6
Mr. Young;223380 wrote:
The Astonishing X-Men books are great IMHO. I would also suggest checking out the Legion Quest storylines as they lead into the Age of Apoclypse which are all great reads. Those stories were originially intended to end the X-Books period but the opted against it due to high sales. They also did some 10 year anniversary Age of Apocolypse stuff not that long ago so don't get the two confused. The anniversarry stuff is cool but not as good as the original of course :-) You may also want to read some of those orginal X-Men comics. The art is done by Jim Lee and still holds up, once again, IMHO.
Agreed. The Legion Quest/AOA Saga is quite a fascinating read, especially for seeing some different twists on various characters.
[gamercard]havok979[/gamercard]
Wii Friend Code: 0041-2774-6791-8109PS3 Friend Name: havok978