Forum

TOPIC: Knife of Dreams

Knife of Dreams 14 years 1 month ago #136633

• Arandar
  • Stage A - 1
Anyone else reading this? I know there is some Wheel of Time fans here besides myself. So far I'm about 50 or so pages short of being halfway through, and I have to say its pretty good. The opening of the prologue was a shocker I have to say, but also nicely set up what will take place later one. As for the rest the book does have a nice flow to it. There hasn't really been a spot where I had the feeling of "I don't want to be reading this part/about this character anymore". Heh then again I haven't gotten to any part about Elayne yet. :lol: The multiple chapters about Mat were nice and revealed a pleasent suprise to the end of the book. So any thoughts, feelings, dissapointments in the book so far? For now I would say this be a none-spoiler thread since the book did just come out a week ago. After those of us who want to read it have, we can talk about details.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Knife of Dreams 14 years 1 month ago #136837

I thought it was due out in November. Must be the Tad Williams book I'm thinking of. Good to hear its out, I'll try to pick it up tomorrow.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin

Knife of Dreams 14 years 1 month ago #139208

• Rook
  • Level 6
The Wheel of Time series is one of my favorites, so I'll be sure to check it out. I was'nt aware a new one had come out, so thanks for the thread.To be honest, though, as of late I'm starting to have a bit of a love/hate feeling towards both the series and Robert Jordan. The first 3 or 4 books were some of the best I've ever read, but in the follow ups you get the sense that Jordan has lost direction. IMO, he introduced way too many characters, and since every characters plot line affects another, he keeps having to backtrack to account for this. He also has a tendency to ramble on somewhat about trivial things, like what people are wearing, who is in love with who, yada yada.But like I said, it's still one of my favorite series, and I'm hoping that Jordan will be able to tie things up together nicely. Hopefully soon, because I've been reading this damn series for like, 10+ years now. :\

Knife of Dreams 14 years 1 month ago #139495

• Arandar
  • Stage A - 1
Well I finished the book a few days ago and trust me its good. Its the best one in years. The most important thing is that it flows. Even when you have to read 50+ pages about the same character you actually want to. Unless of course you just downright hate that character with a passion. But he writes it nicely so you can get through it, yes even the parts about Egwene and Elayne. They are done MUCH better and easier to read then when in the mid books when it would be 100 pages in a row about them and you would be like "I just don't give a shit anymore". The only thing I was dissapointed with is the ending. I won't say what happened, but what sucks is it just seems to end. Like la de da, done. There is no build up and then a dramatic showdown it just kind of stops. I read of the WheelofTime.com site that at Dragon Con of something Jordan said that there would only be one more book even if he had to make it 1500 pages, well hes going to need to make the next one 1500 MINIMUM if he actually wants to finish everything. I think theres really going to be two more, but to finish it all in one its going to have to be like 2000 pages. The kind of funny/dissapointing thing is that at work(I work at Barnes & Noble for those that don't know) is that the publisher sent us the info on the book so when we look it up we can find out, and it lists the book as a 1000 pages. In reality if you count the glossary and the About the Author its only 764. So about 250 short. If it did have that extra 250 I'm sure the ending would have been much better though.

Knife of Dreams 14 years 1 month ago #139556

Thanks for the review. Haven't picked it up yet (too damn lazy to go to the bookstore). I've akways heard that the series would either be 10 or 13 books. While the next one could be the last book in the series, I'd bet cookies to donuts that the Tor would split it into two books. That's how they did with the last book of Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (also a good read). They called it a trilogy, even though they split it into four books.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin