Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: Site Visual Suggestions

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #331853

• Blackwolf
  • Stage A - 1
Hey guys, I just wanted to make a thread here for you to give constructive criticism on the look of the homepage of www.allgames.com - I do know that there are things about it you may or may not like. I want to hear about them. Scot, ChannelZ, RabidTaperworm, and I will be sitting down in the next few weeks to discuss the visual direction of the site, and I want YOUR input.Also, you are more than welcome to discuss drastic changes to the look as well, so you are not confined to the existing template. However, there are certain things to keep in mind - there will be ads on the pages, one of them will be 336x280, some will be 728x90, and others will be 120x600. So an adless page is not an option. (Sorry!) Also, for show banner images and logos, I would like to keep to standard sizes (300x300 for show banner, which is the iTunes Album Art size, and 100x100 for the show icon, which is the standard RSS image size) so we don't have to make funky sized graphics any time we want to update content on the site. One of the biggest headaches of the old site was trying to get banner images made in 489x210 and realizing that the edges get cut off by about 10 pixels due to being behind other graphical elements...Think the homepage has too much info? Which info would you like to not see? Think there's not enough graphics on the homepage? Where would you like to see graphics accentuated?Please keep in mind that this thread is just for the VISUAL LOOK of the site. There will be another thread which is about the underlying functionality of the site, which operates independently of the visual look.
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #331864

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
I guess what I'd really like to NOT see happen to the upcoming All Games redesign is for the look & feel to go back to how it looked like with the old site. IMHO the old look was distracting, ugly and archaic.What I'd like to see from the new design:
  • Tweak the typography/less walls of text
  • Less grey
  • Tweaked dropdowns (have the dropdowns disappear a few seconds after mouse leaves the area, not immediately)
  • Mindful use of screen real estate (current width is a bit overkill, even when you have to squeeze the ads in there)
  • Flash player should take on the same look at the rest of the site
  • More whitespace (in the right places)
gmachina - gaming news in bulk

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #331880

Reading a few articles about web design on the net, and by extension now being an "expert" on the subject (sarcasm), this site caught my eye. When I try to boil down these pages to their common denominators a few I come up with are:1) All have a "clean" feel to them. Even with large amounts of information displayed, there is a natural boundary created with the proper amount of white space or thin line to keep the separate items from mashing together. A good example is The Guardian.2) Most have a central point that draws the eye...most commonly a video or "Headline" photo...it draws the eye to what is most important on that site at the time. This could be our radio player, JTV, or the revolving graphic of the show art the old site used to have.3) Most have a navigation bar at top, side, or both that while powerful enough to whisk you away to any part of the site in a flash, is unobtrusive and out of the way. The best example I see from this page is nytimes.com.4) Another way to make the site user friendly is to have a basic and "bare bones" layout that the user can configure to display the info he/she wants. The best example I can find (and my personal favorite of all these sites) is the BBC homepage. Its obviously an ajax site and I don't know how much of a headache that is....I'm sure its murder on the back end....but you wanted suggestions. :)5) Remember, web 2.0 is all about rounded corners and drop shadows. Don't know if you want to jump on that train or not.Or, you could steal the code from this. Either way is cool, really.
[URL=
]
[/URL]PSN ID: AegisOfReach

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #331888

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I know this is more about the front page, but I'd like the forums to brighten up again now that they wont have to match the old front page any more. :p
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #332283

I was going to add my own suggestions, but Mr Elusive and OutlawTorn have pretty much hit all the nails square on the head. Also, I'll transcribe a really good point by Flavius from the now locked topic: My view isn't directed anywhere. The lack of color, divisions (by white spaces, faux columns, gradients, whatever) makes it very unreadable and to be honest, quite boring. It's like, I know there's a lot of information there, but it's displayed in the worst way possible for me to care to read it. Another minor tweak is do something about the font choice and size. It just doesn't work.And before I get flamed or anything, I understand this is just a temporary site layout, but I believe all of these comments should go towards the final design when it is implemented.Maybe you Bobby have something against Web 2.0 (I don't know really, I'm just saying, maybe you do), but even if you did, I think that Web 2.0 design trends are extremely beneficial for website dwellers, as they display the information in much smarter, better and nicer ways. You might want to try to keep the whole web 2.0 look thing on the top priority list when it comes to designing the final layout, I believe we'll all benefit from that more.Just my 2 cents of a peso.
[gamercard]Foodie Monster[/gamercard]Check out the Ultimate Quest! Your RPG Exclusive Podcast!

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #332287

• Blackwolf
  • Stage A - 1
Can you clarify what you mean by "Web 2.0"? We already use Web 2.0 standards such as CSS and AJAX.
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #332418

• Dezik
  • Level 6
The font is a little too big for my taste.
Mario Kart DS: 524058 462235Pokémon Diamond: 0559 3281 1728

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #332421

• Duraly
  • Level 10
I'm not seeing a enough cow bell...
[psnid]Duraly[/psnid]

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #332429

• Kropotkin
  • Level 6
We need to distance ourselves from the site that originated in 2005. It would appear that bright and plain colours are the order of the day. As for thw Web 2.0 stuff Foodie was referring to I believe he is talking about Blogsites which all pretty much look the same with the static single page and the single menu of buttons at the very top. The best examples of this I can cite is Kotaku, Joystiq and Destructiod. Personally I don't think Allgames Output lends itself to that kind of layout.
XBL Tag: Kropotkin

Site Visual Suggestions 10 years 10 months ago #332486

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Simplify and group things as much as possible. The front page currently, even though a placeholder i still need to mention, is a complete ugly mess, and the old site design was extremely ugly too. I say make something really simple but still appealing. Just something organized and compact. And maybe have the allgames radio player be a big Play button (the sideways triangle) instead of starting right away.
  • Page: