Forum

TOPIC: TiVo/Replay TV

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 8 months ago #6636

Anybody have one? I've had an 80 hour series 2 TiVo since December and I love it.
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 8 months ago #6652

no i dont got either, but i do wish i did :(. they cost waaaaay too much i think for my taste though.
[gamercard]Stonecoldfreak1[/gamercard]

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 8 months ago #6659

• Arandar
  • Stage A - 1
No I don't have one, just a regular old VCR for me. I don't really watch enough shows or go out places where I would miss one and would need to TiVo a bunch of them. I don't completly get how it works though. I mean it does claim you can pause and rewind live tv right? I'm confused about how exactly thats supposed to work out. How much are they anyway? I don't plan on getting one anytime soon, but maybe someday when I move out I will want to get one instead of a VCR.

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 8 months ago #6669

Basically the way it works is it's recording whenever you're watching. If you're not setup to "tape" a show it's always recording to a 30 minute buffer. So you can pause while watching, or rewind or use slo-mo. You are watching everything on a 2 or 3 second delay though. It's funny if there's a tv on in another room on the same channel you'll hear an echo. It's great because you can create a season pass for you favorite shows where it will record every episode during the season. I rarely watch live tv anymore. If I do watch something live, I'll wait about 15 minutes so I can fast forward through the commercials. Also if a show is recording, you can rewind to the beginning and watch it while your taping. Also you can watch shows saved on the HD while you're recording. Once thing not mentioned on the box is the recording time differs depending on the recording quality you choose. I have the 80 hour tivo and with the highest setting I get 25 hours, High quality gets 40, Medium gets 54, and basic gets 92. I don't know exactly why they call it an 80 hour when at max it holds 92 hours. Anyway, I completely disconnected my VCR since I bought my TiVo and have never looked back. If anyone has any other TiVo questions, just ask I'll answer them if I can. **also, on www.Tivo.com you can buy a referbished 40 or 80 hour Tivo for $50 and $100 respectively. Also there is a $12.95 monthly fee for the your first unit and $6.95 for each additional on the same account. Also the lifetime service for $299 is for the life of the unit. So if your TiVo dies the subscription dies with it.
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 8 months ago #6694

Tivo owns. I used to have a 40 hour and then last year I upgraded to an 80 hour. Best home theater device since the DVD player. :)

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 8 months ago #6895

• Blackwolf
  • Stage A - 1
I've had a TiVo since 2000. No lie.I still have that original 30GB Sony Series 1 TiVo, too. They haven't updated the software on that thing for AGES, and I still haven't put the Turbonet card I bought on it...That would allow me to get a bash prompt on the Linux kernel inside so I can run Apache and other stuff...
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam

Cheap TiVo 15 years 7 months ago #13513

Cheap TiVo's at Amazon.com 40 hr Tivo - $89 after rebate (normally $200) 80 hr Tivo - $169 after rebate (normally $300) 140 hr Tivo - $279 after rebate (normally $400)

TiVo/Replay TV 15 years 7 months ago #13541

• Duality
  • Stage B - 1
I'm looking at the TiVo site and it looks like a network adapter is built into the device. Do they still allow for you to hack the machine and pull the video from the TiVo unit onto your PC so you can reencode/burn to disc later? That's the only thing stopping me from choosing TiVo over a cheap custom built Media Center PC.