Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: Discussion: EA's Online Pass

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390260

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
So, EA will be rolling out it's new plan to engage the sales of used games with something called the "EA Online Pass"
The pass, which is included with every new copy of EAs upcoming sports games, will unlock multiplayer modes and features. Those who buy the titles used must purchase a code for $10 to play online.
What someone else on another site brought up that EA hasn't mention was game Rentals. Will people who rent games from like GameFly be able to play those EA sports games online? Certainly they wouldn't have to to fork over $10 for each EA sports game they decide to rent right? and will this charge also be for EA Wii games? (I'm guessing it will).What do you guys think about this? To me used games were initially bought when the game was new, so EA got their money there. If I were to sell my game to my neighbor, what should it matter to EA? If my neighbor wanted to buy DLC for that used game, that is were EA would get the extra money, not having to pay for something that should be included with the game always.
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390261

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I heard somewhere there'd be a free 7 day trial, so as long as you don't rent games for more than a week you're okay.It's still all bullshit to me, though.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390262

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
They're treating buying used games as if you're pirating. What a really stupid move.

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390265

• alexsan
  • Stage A - 1
I see the good sides and bad sides. They trying to combat gamestop and the other companies' kind of unfair used game policy, but I don't think it's fair to hurt the consumer to get them to stop buying used.
XBL: Neezie1990PSN: sillycoreSteam: Neezie3DS: 3737-9522-5541

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390268

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
Well, EA isn't raising the price of the games. If you felt comfortable buying the games at $60 bucks, it shouldn't be an issue for you. As for used games sales, Gamestop is ripping people off left and right. As far as I'm concerned, if all the Gamestop's closed tomorrow I wouldn't give two shits. Used game sales should be limited to gamer to gamer transactions. At least this way the gamer sets the price of sale/purchase. The middleman has gotten way to fat. EA is basically selling you a license for $50 and a service for $10. And they have allowed for renters to play the game for a limited basis.Furthermore, the likelihood of you buying a brand new game with either a discount or credit towards another game is increasing. Time to pre-order Madden.

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390269

• jwg
It's all bullshit. EA could go bankrupt tomorrow and I wouldn't care. How about you make a quality product that I'd want to hang on to instead of coming up with stupid, bullshit schemes.....you stupid fucks. You're not winning any fans with this move, except for the morons who think they're obliged to care about video game publisher's bottom line. I certainly have no intention of running out and spending 60 bucks on their next mediocre-shit game.

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390272

• JoEDigiTECH
Yeah!!11, how dare they try to make money and not make great games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Mass Effect 2... oh wait.. they do make great games. :p

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390275

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
I only really buy used games when I feel like I'm getting a good price for it. 90% of the time I buy new (but since I have a LONG list of backlogged games to get, I'll probably buy used unless I can find them for a good price new) so this kinda sucks if I want an EA game that has online and it's used (I'm a bargain hunter also, finding a game for $15 at Gamestop then having to add another $10 is not what I want to do, sorry lol).
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390276

• JoEDigiTECH
True;390275 wrote:
I only really buy used games when I feel like I'm getting a good price for it. 90% of the time I buy new (but since I have a LONG list of backlogged games to get, I'll probably buy used unless I can find them for a good price new) so this kinda sucks if I want an EA game that has online and it's used (I'm a bargain hunter also, finding a game for $15 at Gamestop then having to add another $10 is not what I want to do, sorry lol).
My counter to that would be, if you are paying $15 bucks for a used game, what is the reasonable expectation that you can play that game on line? I guess if you and a friend both buy NBA Live 2006 and you want to play on line together it would be a bummer to have to pay an additional $10 dollars to do so. You can't really expect that people would still be on playing random games online now. In which case you wouldn't play on line anyway.

Discussion: EA's Online Pass 9 years 6 months ago #390289

• jwg
EA shuts down servers for old sports game anyway, so it wouldn't matter. and BioWare is responsible for Mass Effect 2, not EA. Maybe that's one of their problems. They have to spend millions of dollars buying good game developers, since they can't make anything good themselves.Nintendo is the most successful company this gen. They did it by being smart, being a little innovative and releasing a product (and its games) at a reasonable price. They're rolling in money, Scrooge Mcduck style. All this without any bullshit schemes. Maybe EA could learn a thing or two from them.
  • Page: