Forum

TOPIC: How hard is it to get into IT field?

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389317

hey my mom wants to change her career from nursing to into network security. I figured some of you guys might have some experience in this field? maybe? anyways I know nothing about IT she is really worried that she won't find a job (as a n00b) so I don't know if thats true or not. She has a steady job now as a nurse although she hates it. She tried IT school about 10 years ago and she said her teachers were telling her that she has had extremely impressive scores but she didn't pursue it farther.She's in her 40s so i'm not sure how easy it will be for her having to learn all of this through books compared to younger generations evolving along with this technology but she is motivated (aka not in it just for the money). also i'm not sure if this will play a role in competitive jobs. Do you think it will be easy for her to get a job because most i've read is that she CAN get a job, it appears that getting a raise and moving up is the hard part of IT. What's your advice?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389318

• EvilWall
  • Stage A - 1
Much of working in the industry requires being familar with current technology; I would expect. Being ten years out of date doesn't help on that front, though it's way better than someone who lacks the education completely.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389319

Yeah I read she should get this CCNA book

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389320

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
I'd recommend getting a 2 year tech degree. A few of my friends have associates from ITT (networking and programming) and they're getting offers all the time. However, a lot of place require you to start as an intern, which is certainly gonna be lower paying than nursing, but moving up isn't difficult. If you're good, they hire you on. Although there is not much room for expansion in IT for companies as support staff, but theres always better jobs at other places that you can get with your experience and degree as time passes, you just have to stay diligent.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389338

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
From what I understand of the field... be prepared to deal with people stupid email and printer problems early on. Education is important but patience is a necessity. The IT guys at my company are gamers so I talk to them quite a bit.

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389339

Here's my $.02Customer service skills are very important. Don't use a lot of technical jargon B.S. with clients, just talk to them in plain English. I have to deal with a lot of clients who's local tech support guys who B.S. clients just for a quick, easy buck. That being said, a be prepared for a lot of people who are afraid of computers and come across as stupid...and a fair number of them are stupid (yes, I've spent uncountable groups of 10 minutes trying to teach people 1) how to and paste a link, 2) how to enter a website address in the address bar, not the search engine (my only failure)). Be prepared to argue about passwords. Everyone wants to use password, 12345, letmein, a name, etc as their password and whine and complain about having to use harder to guess passwords. Even when you explain to them, that if their email account gets compromised and sends out spam, the entire domain will get blacklisted as a spammer and it's not necessarily easy to get delisted from blacklists. I go through this about once or twice a quarter when a client's email account get's hacked.Education is very important. I've gone to job interviews in the past and very few (at least in my area) won't talk to you if you have degree from a school like University of Phoenix and the like. Biased? Probably. Get into internships as soon as possible. Even the none paying ones. You'll learn a lot of practical stuff that even school labs won't show you. Primarily interacting with users.I favor being platform agnostic.I'm primarily Windows and Mac based, but working with Linux on my own. I know it's cool to bash Microsoft, and Linux is pretty impressive as servers. Macs are spiffy, tooo (since i have to support them). Yeah sure, Windows is heavily targeted, but there's a growing number of "proof of concepts" viruses for the Macs. I've seen on where it hijacked the DNS entries in a Mac.Get a good understand of how DNS (and the Internet) work. I've had several higher level MS Certified techies expect to create A and CNAME records and I have to explain to them what I need. I've had to deal with networks where the previous tech use the domain name of the client's website as the domain for the internal network. That's caused merry hell with their internal DNS servers. I've even had an MS cert Network Architect agonize about what host name to use for an Exchange server. Network Security is a good field, but also a very competitive one when I look at the job listings. Certs will help, but make sure you've got the skills to back it up. I've seen a lot of people who basically just studied for the test and that's the extent of their knowledge. I think being a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-one-or-none a better option. But that's just me. Ultimately, how secure your network or servers are depends on how good your admins are.Also, you can never stop learning and teaching yourself.Sorry for the essay :-D, pm me if you have any questions
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin

How hard is it to get into IT field? 9 years 4 months ago #389346

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
JoEDigiTECH;389338 wrote:
From what I understand of the field... be prepared to deal with people stupid email and printer problems early on. Education is important but patience is a necessity. The IT guys at my company are gamers so I talk to them quite a bit.
I was an IT assistant at my last job (no IT experience so I was more like a helper with setting up computer labs and cleaning, taking staff photos, ect.) but most of the real IT gues there were gamers and just all around geeks. They were very into what new Tech was coming out, games and ......Nerf Guns.
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo