Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: Apple the New Big Brother?

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389108

• Lord Moon
  • Stage A - 1
With the popularity of Apple's iPhone/Touch/iPad gaining with every release and more and more programmers complaining about or getting dumped off the App Store for unknown reasons, one has to wonder. Is Apple becoming Big Brother?I'm seeing more and more of these stories and it's a legit question. Nobody but Apple seems to know what the rules of the App store are, except for some of the more obvious ones. But as it becomes more and more popular and more people get their media and news digitally there has to be some concern that Apple could start censoring (though some would say they already have).Granted they are a private company and they have a right to say what can and cannot be sold in their store, but the concern would be if they control the market and flow of information, would they block certain things that are protected under free speech?It's some food for thought.I mean certainly it seems now the "freedom of Apple" Steve Jobs preached about back in the day has kind of gone away.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389110

• LowVoltag3
The future is all about control. We're barely in the beginning stages of what's to come, as far as control is concerned. Xbox is also big brother. Google and youtube are also big brother.... Big brother is just what the future holds, everywhere. With government assistance.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/11/AR2008091103447.htmlThe video-sharing service YouTube is banning submissions that involve "inciting others to violence," following criticism from Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) that the site was too open to terrorist groups disseminating militant propaganda.The company earlier this year removed some of the videos that Lieberman targeted, many of which were marked with the logos of al-Qaeda and affiliated groups. But the company refused to take down most of the videos on the senator's list, saying they did not violate the Web site's guidelines against graphic violence or hate speech.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389111

So, what's wrong with what you quoted? Did you just throw that in there so we could have something to read?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389118

• LowVoltag3
Violence in HD;389111 wrote:
So, what's wrong with what you quoted? Did you just throw that in there so we could have something to read?
It's an example of government and Corporations working together to censor.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389121

• Rook
  • Level 6
LowVoltag3;389118 wrote:
It's an example of government and Corporations working together to censor.
But the company refused to take down most of the videos on the senator's list, saying they did not violate the Web site's guidelines against graphic violence or hate speech.
It seems they said too bad so sad on other videos Lieberman wanted to take down, so good for them.Apple's always been goofy, just ask Maddox.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389122

• LowVoltag3
Rook;389121 wrote:
It seems they said too bad so sad on other videos Lieberman wanted to take down, so good for them.Apple's always been goofy, just ask Maddox.
Ofcourse, it starts slow.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389123

• Rook
  • Level 6
LowVoltag3;389122 wrote:
Ofcourse, it starts slow.
Nothing has changed, the usual laws of Free Speech still apply.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389136

Moon... you outta be pimp smacked for using terms that you KNOW are going to get Fush going. But if you're asking of Steve Jobs has turned Apple into the precise thing he spent years preaching against, then yes. Yes he has.

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389139

If Microsoft where to even pull something similar, they smack down they'd get from gov. and Apple fanboys would be something else (And I'm writing this from my Mac. That I luv...in a non-weird way).
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin

Apple the New Big Brother? 9 years 10 months ago #389141

• gk128
  • Stage A - 1
Apple has a closed system they want to keep closed. I don't really see a problem with that. I can still do anything I want to personally do on my iPhone. As long as control doesn't migrate into main OSes and stays with devices with iPad and iPhone I could care less.
  • Page: