Forum

TOPIC: the cost of health care reform

the cost of health care reform 9 years 11 months ago #388495

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Approx. $100 million in the first year alone for Caterpillar.
Caterpillar Inc. said the health-care overhaul legislation being considered by the U.S. House would increase the company's health-care costs by more than $100 million in the first year alone. In a letter Thursday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio, Caterpillar urged lawmakers to vote against the plan "because of the substantial cost burdens it would place on our shareholders, employees and retirees." Caterpillar, the world's largest construction machinery manufacturer by sales, said it's particularly opposed to provisions in the bill that would expand Medicare taxes and mandate insurance coverage. The legislation would require nearly all companies to provide health insurance for their employees or face large fines. The Peoria-based company said these provisions would increase its insurance costs by at least 20 percent, or more than $100 million, just in the first year of the health-care overhaul program. "We can ill-afford cost increases that place us at a disadvantage versus our global competitors," said the letter signed by Gregory Folley, vice president and chief human resources officer of Caterpillar. "We are disappointed that efforts at reform have not addressed the cost concerns we've raised throughout the year."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

the cost of health care reform 9 years 11 months ago #388508

Oh well, needs to be done. "The legislation would require nearly all companies to provide health insurance for their employees or face large fines."This is the right thing anyway.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

the cost of health care reform 9 years 11 months ago #388510

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. That's how I look at it.

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388512

Better off without imo. Fuck big government.Ron Paul 2012

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388513

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
It's interesting how Obama is perfectly ok with placing America and American companies in positions where they're at a disadvantage against global competitors. Another example of this

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388518

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
I just think its funny the Republican guy is named John Boehner.In any case, its not health care reform that we need. We need a revolution in the unions. They kept the corporations they worked for from making too much the money vs. what they paid employees. The growing chasm between the elite and the middle class is the source of our problems. 2% of the population cannot control 96% of our money and not cause problems.Wheres the mob when we need 'em?
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388524

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
The supposed oil off the coast of Florida hasn't even been definitively proven to exist. They've been exploring since the 1940's and hardly found anything, and what's predicted to be there isn't even a drop in the bucket in our energy usage. So offshore drilling is a joke and a waste of everyone's time and money here. No sense crying over someone else's boondoggle.Oh and healthcare "reform" is just doubling down on the stupid shit that makes health insurance such an abject failure. We need to ban employer based insurance, a relic of WW2 wage freezes, not make it even MORE prevalent with mandates like these.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388533

• LowVoltag3
And down goes the quality.... One day well all have full coverage health care, which equates to a band-aid and an aspirin..... Next in line...

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388547

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Oomba;388518 wrote:
I just think its funny the Republican guy is named John Boehner.In any case, its not health care reform that we need. We need a revolution in the unions. They kept the corporations they worked for from making too much the money vs. what they paid employees. The growing chasm between the elite and the middle class is the source of our problems. 2% of the population cannot control 96% of our money and not cause problems.Wheres the mob when we need 'em?
... And you say Unions are the issue? You totally contradict yourself. First you say that the problem is that the unions fault for preventing the companies from paying their employees shit all which would widen the rich/poor gap, and then you say that it's the gap that's the source of the problems? Which is it? It's either the Unions for fighting against said gap or the gap itself.

the cost of health care reform 9 years 10 months ago #388556

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
Decipher;388547 wrote:
... And you say Unions are the issue? You totally contradict yourself. First you say that the problem is that the unions fault for preventing the companies from paying their employees shit all which would widen the rich/poor gap, and then you say that it's the gap that's the source of the problems? Which is it? It's either the Unions for fighting against said gap or the gap itself.
How exactly did I contradict myself? The gap between the rich and the poor (meaning that the rich are very rich, while the poor are very poor, causing the amount of working people who fall within the middle class to dwindle until the middle class just doesn't exist anymore. I'm not sure I can spell it more simply for you than that.) is the source of the problems. The gap exists because unions are all but extinct, and the ones that do are too greedy for their own good ( UAW). Without workers unions, corporations know they can pay employees as little as they want. You have nowhere else to go, and everyone else is dependent on that same job because with their pay being so shitty, they certainly can't afford to strike or negotiate either. And a one man strike is the kind that ends the quickest, Actually, I think I found a way to explain it nice and easy for you, however without any pictures or sing-a-longs, it may still be lost on you. Our socioeconomic status system works like two cliffs, the rich and the poor. They are connected by a rope bridge, called the middle class. Our image as a land of opportunity was founded in the fact that in any time, a man determined enough could cross the bridge at any time. The weaker that bridge gets, the less likely anyone is going to be able to cross it, until its frays and snaps completely. The unions were like construction workers, working tirelessly day and night to make that bridge stronger and to maintain it.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army