Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: the climate change retreat

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389605

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Well, reports are allowed to cite material other than peer-reviewed journals, so really there shouldn't be an issue here. It's a shame that they claimed the sources were ALL peer-reviewed though as that weakened their case.One of my sources cited in a paper I recently wrote was an ABC news article. The rest were peer-reviewed journals. If I hadn't sourced the news site, it would have been plagiarism and my mark most certainly would have dropped from 92%. The sources this report likely cited that were not peer-reviewed were likely just reports of events, like when a draught happened. You can't just say something happened, you have to have proof that it did.I don't have time to read that article at the moment, but I'm inclined to believe that this is the people who don't believe in climate change grasping for whatever evidence they can to discredit the scientists behind the report. I'll read it when I get the chance, but I figured I'd share my scepticism as it stands now.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389633

• EvilWall
  • Stage A - 1
Decipher;389605 wrote:
I don't have time to read that article at the moment, but I'm inclined to believe that this is the people who don't believe in climate change grasping for whatever evidence they can to discredit the scientists behind the report. I'll read it when I get the chance, but I figured I'd share my skepticism as it stands now.
The problem is that there are too many variables to account for changes in the Earth's climate. The Geological record and ice records already show massive swings in climate before our meager two hundred years of industry existed. While this certainly doesn't disprove that humans are at fault for this situation (whether or not there actually is a crisis as well), it does put things in perspective that our total effect might be significantly (or even negligible) less than more natural causes of such things.As a side note, these sorts of doom scenarios have been used to grasp political power for ages. I'm sure there are more ancient examples, though a recent one being the Global Cooling train of thought in the 70s. That being said, the environment is so dynamic that I could find all sorts of evidence to support either Global Warming, Discrediting it's existence, or explain it as part of the Earth's natural cooling and warming cycles.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389635

EvilWall;389633 wrote:
The problem is that there are too many variables to account for changes in the Earth's climate. The Geological record and ice records already show massive swings in climate before our meager two hundred years of industry existed. While this certainly doesn't disprove that humans are at fault for this situation (whether or not there actually is a crisis as well), it does put things in perspective that our total effect might be significantly (or even negligible) less than more natural causes of such things.As a side note, these sorts of doom scenarios have been used to grasp political power for ages. I'm sure there are more ancient examples, though a recent one being the Global Cooling train of thought in the 70s. That being said, the environment is so dynamic that I could find all sorts of evidence to support either Global Warming, Discrediting it's existence, or explain it as part of the Earth's natural cooling and warming cycles.
I've been saying this for years, glad some people have common sense.We just don't have the technology to know what the earth is going to do next in terms of climate. We have roughly 200 years of weather recorded, that's not all too much in terms of the lifetime of the planet. I'm all for recycling and cutting down pollution, don't get me wrong. But it's underhanded to say gloom and doom is in store if you don't follow Al Gore's will.Also; manbearpigI'm glad it's getting discredited. It needs to be, it's not science.

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389647

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
Wow. Such downers. As if it's a bad thing to try and care for the planet. "Oh! We're not the cause of global warming!?!?!?! BETTER GET A FUCKING HUMMER!!!" Ugh. No.This planet is only so big. No matter what, if we keep filling it with garbage and toxins while stripping it of its non-renewable resources eventually we WILL hit a point of no return. To have the attitude that it doesn't matter because it may not be in your lifetime is beyond selfish. It's your children and your children's children will have to deal with it.

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389650

Decipher;389647 wrote:
Wow. Such downers. As if it's a bad thing to try and care for the planet. "Oh! We're not the cause of global warming!?!?!?! BETTER GET A FUCKING HUMMER!!!" Ugh. No.This planet is only so big. No matter what, if we keep filling it with garbage and toxins while stripping it of its non-renewable resources eventually we WILL hit a point of no return. To have the attitude that it doesn't matter because it may not be in your lifetime is beyond selfish. It's your children and your children's children will have to deal with it.
ok captain planet I didn't say go burn some tires. I said it's stupid to believe Al Gore.The only way we're going to attain what you're trying to make is by small changes. No one's going to go out and change their lifestyle immediately. Make the changes convenient and more productive to what I'm using at the moment. Don't just say 'k guys u realy got 2 use less a dat gas cuz if u do we all gun die yo'. Tired of that bullshit, we live in America. Automobiles aren't going anywhere for now.I use CFLs for my lights, LCDs for televisions, recycle as much plastic as I can, keep my engine under 3.5k RPM at all times (whilst not racing), and use the least amount of electricity and water as possible. I'm probably ahead of the game than most of the populous.The idea is to be as pollution free as possible, which you should be. To ignore recycling plastic is huge because it never biodegrades. But saying everything's going to blow up if I don't sell my car and buy a bicycle is fucking retarded.

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389655

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Wrecking the economy with overreaching mandates won't be good for future generations either.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

the climate change retreat 9 years 3 months ago #389672

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
Gene Starwind;389650 wrote:
The idea is to be as pollution free as possible, which you should be. To ignore recycling plastic is huge because it never biodegrades. But saying everything's going to blow up if I don't sell my car and buy a bicycle is fucking retarded.
No doubt. That's totally sensible and in fact more or less how I feel. I was just using hyperbole for effect.
  • Page: