Forum

TOPIC: Houston elects Gay mayor

Houston elects Gay mayor 9 years 10 months ago #384587

link
Annise Danette Parker was elected mayor of Houston on Saturday, winning her seventh consecutive city election and becoming both the first contender in a generation to defeat the hand-picked candidate of Houston's business establishment and the first openly gay person to lead a major U.S. city.
As a Republican, I'm outraged....wait, I'm no longer a one. Ummm, As a conservative, I'm....well, no I ain't one anymore...Lesseee, AH HA! As a Californian my mello is totally harshed dude. We put a German in the Governor's office, this should've happened in San Francisco, no wait, they're too uptight. Um, This should've happened in Berkeley!
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Houston elects Gay mayor 9 years 10 months ago #384589

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Well California isn't that far behind.. One of Silicon Valley's towns has a gay mayor. He's younger than I am!http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/02/BA081ATEF9.DTLThis is big though, especially since she withstood a bunch of bullshit attacks against her, scaring people about gay marriage (even though a mayor can't do crap about that, see Gavin Newsome). The other guy was a Democrat, too. Stay classy..Portland also has a gay mayor, so I guess it depends on your definition of major.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Houston elects Gay mayor 9 years 10 months ago #384598

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
I'm more worried that with the low turnout and huge "get out the vote" for the gay candidate that this person won only because they were gay, and not necessarily because they're the best person for the job.But i don't live in houston so it doesn't affect me.

Houston elects Gay mayor 9 years 10 months ago #384599

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
She's a fiscal conservative. There's no way she would have won the first round of the vote and made the runoff if they were voting purely on identity politics.I bet more people voted against her because of her orientation than for her, so that's a silly concern.Plus that's her 7th consecutive electoral win, so she must be doing something right.Besides if you read this part you'd see that people honestly thought she was the best candidate.
In many ways, the race was framed by the financial anxieties voters have experienced over the past 18 months. At the polls, voter after voter cited Parker's experience watching over the city's $4 billion budget as a primary consideration in their choice.Instead of being turned off by a politician reluctant to promise the world, voters responded to Parker's straight talk about all that might not be possible in the coming years.Dozens of Houstonians interviewed by the Houston Chronicle said they appreciated her often blunt answers that made Locke's proposals seem vague.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Houston elects Gay mayor 9 years 10 months ago #384600

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Burr;384599 wrote:
Plus that's her 7th consecutive electoral win, so she must be doing something right.
Well there you go then. I didn't really know a whole lot about her. I only read one article.