Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: The Real War on Christmas

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383884

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Poole — the town with a Christmas tree that you can wipe your feet on
The 33ft structure turned out to be their Christmas tree, designed according to the principles of health and safety, circa 2009.Thus it has no trunk so it won’t blow over, no branches to break off and land on someone’s head, no pine needles to poke a passer-by in the eye, no decorations for drunken teenagers to steal and no angel, presumably because it would need a dangerously long ladder to place it at the top.
The tree was commissioned by the Poole Town Centre Management Board because of fears that a real one would pose a hazard to shoppers. Richard Randall-Jones, the town centre manager, said that although a Norwegian fir might be cheaper, it still cost £3,500 to hoist into position, make safe and decorate. “People think you can just go into the woods, chop down a tree and put it up in the high street but if it blows over and kills someone then somebody is liable,” he said. “We are a coastal town and so we have strict health-and-safety guidelines around making the Christmas tree safe due to the high winds we suffer. We have to have guy ropes and hoardings to stop it from falling over and hitting somebody. The public didn’t like all the ropes and hoardings so we came up with the cone tree.It looks really pretty at night. I challenge anyone to find a better tree in the area.” Trish Glover, whose shop overlooks the cone, said: “I prefer a Christmas tree, not a big wizard’s hat or a lump of astroturf or something that belongs in the roadworks.”
How absolutely pathetic.. It's worse than Charlie Brown's tree!If you're gonna get a fake one, at least do better than that.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383886

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
wow...

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383889

Some say that if you listen carefully on a windless night, you can actually hear Bill O'Reilly's head exploding as he reads this...

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383892

• arefx
  • Stage A - 1
it looks like that green plastic carpet shit. pathetic.
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383896

• True
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 8
arefx;383892 wrote:
it looks like that green plastic carpet shit. pathetic.
Yes, yes it does. That's just lame.
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383897

I challenge anyone to find a better tree in the area.”
That's because they've all been cut down and replaced with columns of plastic crap.
We are a coastal town and so we have strict health-and-safety guidelines
Hey, the English are supposed to be eco-minded, right? So what's the carbon footprint of that fake tree? The good news it'll last for centuries so they can keep using it
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383901

not to be "that guy," but I think it looks pretty mod and cool.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383902

• DeadMan
  • Stage A - 1
It looks like someone stapled fake sod to the sides of it.... fucking lame
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383934

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
I'd hazard a guess that tree will be vandalized very soon. It's just begging for it.

The Real War on Christmas 9 years 10 months ago #383958

• arefx
  • Stage A - 1
Decipher;383934 wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that tree will be vandalized very soon. It's just begging for it.
hopefully someone burns it down.
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro
  • Page: