Forum

TOPIC: Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 11 months ago #383317

• LowVoltag3
Ezekiel;383280 wrote:
Has alcohol become less popular?
Well, you would have to have lived during the prohibition to know this. Just thinking about it, off the top of my head, yes, I think alcohol would have probably been more popular during the prohibition.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 11 months ago #383320

• Rook
  • Level 6
BuckFarack187;383277 wrote:
Well rook, you said above that the government should tax weed... Ofcourse anyone who owns any store is paying taxes, but what I'm saying, which I'm not 100% sure of, is that it is hard to believe that the government, whether state or fed, is not taxing these "stores" with some type of weed tax. Because not to long ago the feds were using blackwater to raid these stores.
I dunno. Sure the state gets it's cut in taxes somehow. Then when the fed gets around to shutting everything down, they just confiscate all the money.Don't really smoke myself, but considering the money potential it has to be a consideration eventually. Bible thumpers will cry about it, but the states will be a subsidy of China Corporation soon enough, and I don't think the Jade Emperor cares if people toke or not.

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 11 months ago #383322

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Actually, in China the regular penalty for any drug offense, especially marijuana, is the death penalty. China executes ABOUT 500 people a year for drug offenses. Typically those executed are traffickers, but there are quite a few people who are just in possession of the drugs and get executed anyway.lol.

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 11 months ago #383323

• Rook
  • Level 6
Well sonofabitch. Your days are numbered, Snoop Dogg!Was poking fun at "Won't somebody think of the children!" types, but yeah. Kinda surprised at that. But then again, it's China. Whats wrong and whats right seems to be total opposite from us.

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 11 months ago #383324

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
yeah, and China executes somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people each year.

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 11 months ago #383325

• Rook
  • Level 6
Nut_Man;383324 wrote:
yeah, and China executes somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 people each year.
See, China just needs to mellow out. I mean, have you ever executed a dissident...ON WEED?(This is what happens when Burr stops weighing in, because he's the smartest out of all of us :( )

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 10 months ago #383491

MaximusPaynicus;383316 wrote:
The popularity of alcohol is directly tied to the economy. When things are great, people drink less. When things are horrid, people drink more. I'm too lazy to find a link to show this, but all the same.
i can vouch for this.i've probably drank more since i got laid off in july than in my entire life previously, and everyone else i ever see its the same story.i also dont buy that anyone would stop smoking weed if it was legal. if anything they would smoke it more because you could buy it at the 24hour minimart.
- six years and counting, damn -

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 10 months ago #383497

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
BuckFarack187;383277 wrote:
Well rook, you said above that the government should tax weed... Ofcourse anyone who owns any store is paying taxes, but what I'm saying, which I'm not 100% sure of, is that it is hard to believe that the government, whether state or fed, is not taxing these "stores" with some type of weed tax. Because not to long ago the feds were using blackwater to raid these stores.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/22/california.pot.tax/I was arrested for marijuana trafficking in march. I spent 36 hours in county jail. I was given 3 meals. The place was run by Sheriffs, which Im sure make more than city cops. The guards were sheriffs. They also handle the booking. Everyone I talked to there was in for either traffic (as in car) charges, or some kind of possession charge(crack, for most of them). They spent over $10,000 on the sting operation to bust me. They used SNUD, which stands for Street Narcotics Uniform Detail. They used marked bills, video cameras, audio taps on the phone, 1 detective in the car, and 3 off duty cops receiving overtime watching it go down from a distance. In exchange, I'm serving 18 months of probation, which is costing me $20 a month, and I had to pay $450 in court costs. So they spent easily upwards of $20,000 "bringing me down" (for a 20 sack, no less), and got about $800 for it. My lawyer made $5000 though, so thats something.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 10 months ago #383516

• LowVoltag3
Oomba;383497 wrote:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/22/california.pot.tax/I was arrested for marijuana trafficking in march. I spent 36 hours in county jail. I was given 3 meals. The place was run by Sheriffs, which Im sure make more than city cops. The guards were sheriffs. They also handle the booking. Everyone I talked to there was in for either traffic (as in car) charges, or some kind of possession charge(crack, for most of them). They spent over $10,000 on the sting operation to bust me. They used SNUD, which stands for Street Narcotics Uniform Detail. They used marked bills, video cameras, audio taps on the phone, 1 detective in the car, and 3 off duty cops receiving overtime watching it go down from a distance. In exchange, I'm serving 18 months of probation, which is costing me $20 a month, and I had to pay $450 in court costs. So they spent easily upwards of $20,000 "bringing me down" (for a 20 sack, no less), and got about $800 for it. My lawyer made $5000 though, so thats something.
Fuck, that sucks dude. The war on drugs is such a fraud it's really unbelievable, it's just a huge scam.

Wasted Potential: A Cost/Benefit Analysis 9 years 10 months ago #383524

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
BuckFarack187;383516 wrote:
Fuck, that sucks dude. The war on drugs is such a fraud it's really unbelievable, it's just a huge scam.
Truly. I live in an area that is currently crippled financially. The only businesses left since 2000 are chain stores, which is basically funneling money out of out of my fair city like a vacuum. The only thing left around here keeping money flowing is the massive drug trade that runs mostly under the radar around here. I know only a select handful of people that aren't associated with the marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine, and meth trade. I've seen raids on 4 meth houses in one 2 block radius. I've done lines with peoples mothers, smoked with their grandparents. Its quite rampant around here. Since my arrest I'm no longer in business, and will remain so until it's legal to do, which I feel is very imminent. Yet, I haven't met one person since who doesn't at least smoke pot. It's impossible to control. Yet, the moral right continues to blow revenue on it likes it's priority one. 'Tis a shame.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army