Forum

TOPIC: Religious discrimination in the UK

Religious discrimination in the UK 10 years 2 months ago #379221

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Jedi ejected from Tesco for wearing hood
Daniel Jones, 23, who created the International Church of Jediism, claims he was “victimised over his beliefs” by staff at the supermarket in Bangor, North Wales.The religion, inspired by the sci-fi films, is practised by 500,000 around the world and requires believers to cover their heads in public places. But Mr Jones, from Holyhead, said that staff ejected him from the store over security fears when he refused to remove his hood. Mr Jones, also known by his Jedi name Morda Hehol, told The Sun: "I told them it was a requirement of my religion but they just sniggered and ordered me to leave. "I walked past a Muslim lady in a veil. Surely the same rules should apply to everyone." The handbook of the UK Jedi Church, founded by the Star Wars fan last year, states: "Jedis must wear a hood up in any public place of a large audience."Daniel added: "It was discrimination. I was really upset. Nobody should be treated like that.”"I'll advise worshippers to boycott Tesco if it happens again. They will feel the Force."
What I want to know is, why isn't Sithism recognized as a religion?
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Religious discrimination in the UK 10 years 2 months ago #379222

could you imagine if there was a religion based on persona 3?talk about a self fulfilling prophecy.

Religious discrimination in the UK 10 years 2 months ago #379239

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
"Jedis must wear a hood up in any public place of a large audience."There are soooo many Jedi that broke that rule in the movies alone. What utter bullshit. Just because what Jedi believe in is no less fantastical than what most religions believe doesn't mean it should be a recognized religion.

Religious discrimination in the UK 10 years 2 months ago #379240

• Feelgood
  • Stage A - 1
Decipher;379239 wrote:
Just because what Jedi believe in is no less fantastical than what most religions believe doesn't mean it should be a recognized religion.
500,000 people disagree with you.

Religious discrimination in the UK 10 years 2 months ago #379244

• jwg
It would have been funny if he were beat down by some trekkies cosplaying as Klingons.

Religious discrimination in the UK 10 years 2 months ago #379248

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
I fear "hostile negotiations" may be in order.He should take the matter up with the Galactic Senate... oh wait... err.Let's face facts people, if he was really a Jedi he could have solved this with a wave of his hand and "I don't need to remove my hood, move along."I wonder if the guy was shopping for power converters.Maybe him and the rest of his Jedi brethren should jump on the star ship Mayflower to escape such persecution. Troubling this is, ponder I will.Seriously, I can go on all day.