Forum

TOPIC: Finally some gene therapy that'll help me!

Finally some gene therapy that'll help me! 10 years 2 months ago #378883

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Gene Therapy Cures Color-Blind Monkeys
Neitz’s team injected their monkeys’ eyes with viruses carrying a gene that makes L-opsin, one of three proteins released when color-detecting cone cells are hit by different wavelengths of light. Male squirrel monkeys naturally lack the L-opsin gene; like people who share their condition, they’re unable to distinguish between red and green.At first, the two monkeys behaved no differently than before. Though quick to earn a grape juice reward by picking out blue and yellow dots from a background of gray dots on a computer screen, they banged the screen randomly when presented with green or red dots.But after five months, something clicked. The monkeys picked out red and green, again and again. At the biological level, Neitz can’t say precisely what happened — the monkeys, named Sam and Dalton, are alive and healthy, their brains unscanned and undissected — but their actions left no doubt.Neitz thinks the monkeys’ brains didn’t grow new neural circuits. “That’s the way we were thinking about neural plasticity before,” he said. Instead, their brains may have reconfigured themselves, “learning how to use the same old circuits in a new way when the information coming over the lines changed.”“It’s incredibly cool. It demonstrates a fascinating plasticity in the brain,” said Jeremy Nathans, a Johns Hopkins neurologist regarded as the father of modern color-vision genetics. “We presume that we have that same kind of plasticity as well.”If so, then gene therapies for severe human forms of color blindness could be successful. So could gene treatments for age-related macular degeneration. Ultra-experimental hacks that confer light- and color-perceiving powers on cells used in other aspects of sight would be that much closer to reality.
Wow.. Being red-green colorblind (though not that severely), this really has me excited. Well, except for the whole INJECT YOU IN THE EYE part.. Still, this is incredible and I hope there will be some real treatment in the future.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Finally some gene therapy that'll help me! 10 years 2 months ago #378884

• EvilWall
  • Stage A - 1
Burr;378883 wrote:
Wow.. Being red-green colorblind (though not that severely), this really has me excited. Well, except for the whole INJECT YOU IN THE EYE part.. Still, this is incredible and I hope there will be some real treatment in the future.
I read about this earlier today, and it sounds amazing for a whole lot people. And I'm sure you'll get over the eye injection after you start seeing green again.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Finally some gene therapy that'll help me! 10 years 2 months ago #378885

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
The eye injection probably sounds a lot worse than it really is. I mean, people have laser eye surgery all the time and they cut open your eye and shine a laser powerful enough to melt plastic into it.

Finally some gene therapy that'll help me! 10 years 2 months ago #378888

• Oomba
  • Stage A - 1
Injections into the eye do not hurt. They use a paralytic to stop you from blinking and it nulls all pain, much like the injected anesthetic for dental surgery. You feel slight pressure, but that's all.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army

Finally some gene therapy that'll help me! 10 years 2 months ago #378893

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Yeah.. It wouldn't be so bad I guess..Still creepy though.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!