Forum

TOPIC: Kanye West is officially a racist asshole.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378655

  • True
  • True's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 7502
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 952
BBboy20;378570 wrote:
And now it has it's own site: http://kanyegate.tumblr.com/
You know what? I really think Scot should have copyrighted "Let Me Finish!".
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378660

  • Oomba
  • Oomba's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 3954
  • Karma: 0
Blackwolf;378617 wrote:
As a musician myself, I can tell you with certainty you cannot create a musician out of thin air. Even if you don't believe they are talented, many times they are - they are just playing songs you don't like. Just being able to play in time and in key takes talent, especially for a group that does perform live.If it didn't require talent and hard work, everyone would be a musician. Are you?
I'm a relatively talented guitarist and pianist, as well as a few other musical instruments. I'm in two bands, as well as my own solo project. I can certainly attest to how hard it can be to coordinate, let alone promote a musical act. Staying in key and in time for an entire song takes a lot of practice and work, let alone getting 4+ people to stay in key and in time for a 30 minute set. Getting people to follow you is especially difficult.My biggest band right now can bring anywhere from 30-100 people to watch each show. It's certainly not a small number, but at least 75% of those people are friends of members of the band, and their friends. Most of the other people who are at the venue are there to watch the other acts on the ticket, while a few are patrons of the bar/club. Some exposure comes from these shows, but your best bet for gaining new fans are producing CDs and merchandise that people can check out. Your following buys the CDs, Shirts, stickers, etc, and shows them to their friends and people they come into contact with who might then become interested. We recently produced a 5 song EP, which cost us $250 in studio time, and $250 to have 100 of them pressed, printed, and shipped to us. We are getting 100 Shirts made for $2.50 each, which is also $250 total, and intend to sell the shirts and EP as a package deal for $10. If we sell them all we'll make $1000, only $250 will be profit, which will have to be added back into the band fun to go towards our full length LP. We had to pay for these with revenue from our shows, which is usually about $40 on average. The most we've ever made was $150 for one gig. Basically, we practice 3-4 times per week, 2 to 3 hours each time. 8 hours was spent in the studio for the 5 song EP. We have to contact venues to book our shows, contact bands to coordinate sets, and spend 5+ at the venue to load in, support our opening bands, etc. Then there is equipment upkeep itself, which we pay for out of our own pockets. I play guitar, and I spent $350 on my practice amp (Line6 Spider III 75watt), $850 for my live half stack (Peavey Valve King + Marshall 4x12 cab), my guitar cost me only $50 (bought it with a broken input jack, all I had to do was solder it. It's a B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock which costs about $350 brand new), I replaced the pickups for $180 (two Seymour Duncan Invaders), I replace my strings weekly and a day before every set ($13 each set, Ernie Ball coated Skinny Top, Heavy Bottoms), buy new 25' cables every other month (Monster Cable, $45), and I pay a guitar tech to adjust the action and clean the internals for me every 2 weeks($25). I have to buy new picks every 2 weeks because they degrade over time ($4 for 10, Dunlop Tortex). Thats if everything goes according to plan. You have to be prepared for equipment failure. I've seen my co-guitarists amp head catch fire first song in our set, drummer's tom tension-er break 2 hours before a set, microphones fail midway through, etc. This means we spend a lot of money and a lot of time and get nothing in return except that we get to play. This is how all musical acts start out. Britney Spears, Kanye, Soulja Boi, Taylor Swift, they all started out this way. So don't try to trivialize how far they've come. You will never know the kind of work it takes to get where these people are. I know the work it takes to be in a local band, but I couldn't tell you what its like to tour, and to have to coordinate shows in all different states. Let alone how hard it is to come up with new material while touring like this.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378667

Oomba;378660 wrote:
Soulja Boi
Actually started out with stock FLStudio loops and used his daddy's expensive recording equipment.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378670

  • LowVoltag3
  • LowVoltag3's Avatar
Oomba;378598 wrote:
That is, for the most part true. And not against my point. You say it's rigged because of those things, but thats not rigged. They don't build musicians out of thin air. There are a lot of artists who use their vocal talent and marketability(attractiveness) to sell songs they've bought from songwriters, who legitimately want to stay out of the limelight. However the makeup, stage production, music videos, album art, etc. are all designed to help convey the musicians personal style, and the style of their music. After gear is paid for, this is what the advances are spent on. Besides, its not like other genres never get signed. They just have to be good enough to stand out. Unfortunately, most of these "underground" bands that you guys think are so great, don't have as many people agreeing with you as you might think. Hell, Lamb of God, which toured for YEARS on under-labels eventually signed with major label EPIC and was nominated for a Grammy in 2007. They've been in the billboard, on shows like Conan, their music videos have been on MTV, FUSE, MTV2, etc. They've been given as many possibilities as pop bands, however when Wrath came out this year they sold way less albums then Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Kanye, all those acts do. It's because they don't have the mass appeal the pop genre does. So what do you want them to do, stop signing bands that the most amount of people will like, and that they won't profit from? Because they'll go bankrupt. Then they won't be able to afford to take risks on those "underground" acts you guys like so much (until they get signed, of course. Then they're part of the evil record label machine.) Then there will be no music industry. I'm not saying I like the system. I sure as hell don't listen to Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, or any of these other god awful acts. But it's the listeners faults, not the record label. If more people had better taste in music (or rather, musical taste I agree with), then we'd get what we want.
I agree with you. Joe digitech hit the nail on the head though. He understands what I mean by rigged. Remember I told you the the real talent in the industry are barely known to people.Joe even got the exact names that were on my head too. For the radio to be playing a song like this at least 50 times per day shows that the industry is rigged. [youtube]<object width=560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/v/r8b8I8umHbU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="www.youtube.com/v/r8b8I8umHbU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]Listen to this..... Listen at 0:44 The notes are OFF!!! This is not an opinion question. This is BAD MUSIC. Harmful music. and it gets played on the radio a million times. It gets shoved down peoples ears! FORCIBLY...."Blackwolf;378617 wrote:
As a musician myself, I can tell you with certainty you cannot create a musician out of thin air. Even if you don't believe they are talented, many times they are - they are just playing songs you don't like. Just being able to play in time and in key takes talent, especially for a group that does perform live.If it didn't require talent and hard work, everyone would be a musician. Are you?
That's why I put the word "musician" in quotes. Because I'm not talking about the people producing the tracks, I'm talking about the people who get put in the front line.JoEDigiTECH;378634 wrote:
When I say it's rigged I don't mean to imply that the whole industry is completely false. What I'm saying is that some artists have a better chance of succeeding based on their perceived marketablitiy. You can't make the one to one comparison between talent and marketablity in every case I think we agree. How else would you explain the likes of Brittany Spears and Soulja Boy? They both sold ass loads of records because their songs had mindless hooks and they prance around like puppets. In response to Blackwolf. No, I'm not a musician but I can assess the fact that some have achieved success disproportionate to their level of talent.
QFT
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378672

  • Oomba
  • Oomba's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 3954
  • Karma: 0
BuckFarack187;378670 wrote:
I agree with you. Joe digitech hit the nail on the head though. He understands what I mean by rigged. Remember I told you the the real talent in the industry are barely known to people.Joe even got the exact names that were on my head too. For the radio to be playing a song like this at least 50 times per day shows that the industry is rigged. [youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/v/r8b8I8umHbU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="www.youtube.com/v/r8b8I8umHbU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]Listen to this..... Listen at 0:44 The notes are OFF!!! This is not an opinion question. This is BAD MUSIC. Harmful music. and it gets played on the radio a million times. It gets shoved down peoples ears! FORCIBLY....That's why I put the word "musician" in quotes. Because I'm not talking about the people producing the tracks, I'm talking about the people who get put in the front line. QFT
Which is probably why Soulja Boy's sophomore album only sold 43,500 copies in its first week. However, that's 43,500 more than you have sold. So in the eyes of 43,500 people, he's a better musician than you. Music is not about technical prowess. If so people like Joe Satriani and Micheal Angelo Batio would be dominated the billboards. It's not. It's about making music people enjoy.[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/v/-SGUo7PHeh0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="www.youtube.com/v/-SGUo7PHeh0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]Notes aren't off anyway, the rhythm gets ends phrasing with staccato notes.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378675

  • LowVoltag3
  • LowVoltag3's Avatar
Oomba;378660 wrote:
I'm a relatively talented guitarist and pianist, as well as a few other musical instruments. I'm in two bands, as well as my own solo project. I can certainly attest to how hard it can be to coordinate, let alone promote a musical act. Staying in key and in time for an entire song takes a lot of practice and work, let alone getting 4+ people to stay in key and in time for a 30 minute set. Getting people to follow you is especially difficult.My biggest band right now can bring anywhere from 30-100 people to watch each show. It's certainly not a small number, but at least 75% of those people are friends of members of the band, and their friends. Most of the other people who are at the venue are there to watch the other acts on the ticket, while a few are patrons of the bar/club. Some exposure comes from these shows, but your best bet for gaining new fans are producing CDs and merchandise that people can check out. Your following buys the CDs, Shirts, stickers, etc, and shows them to their friends and people they come into contact with who might then become interested. We recently produced a 5 song EP, which cost us $250 in studio time, and $250 to have 100 of them pressed, printed, and shipped to us. We are getting 100 Shirts made for $2.50 each, which is also $250 total, and intend to sell the shirts and EP as a package deal for $10. If we sell them all we'll make $1000, only $250 will be profit, which will have to be added back into the band fun to go towards our full length LP. We had to pay for these with revenue from our shows, which is usually about $40 on average. The most we've ever made was $150 for one gig. Basically, we practice 3-4 times per week, 2 to 3 hours each time. 8 hours was spent in the studio for the 5 song EP. We have to contact venues to book our shows, contact bands to coordinate sets, and spend 5+ at the venue to load in, support our opening bands, etc. Then there is equipment upkeep itself, which we pay for out of our own pockets. I play guitar, and I spent $350 on my practice amp (Line6 Spider III 75watt), $850 for my live half stack (Peavey Valve King + Marshall 4x12 cab), my guitar cost me only $50 (bought it with a broken input jack, all I had to do was solder it. It's a B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock which costs about $350 brand new), I replaced the pickups for $180 (two Seymour Duncan Invaders), I replace my strings weekly and a day before every set ($13 each set, Ernie Ball coated Skinny Top, Heavy Bottoms), buy new 25' cables every other month (Monster Cable, $45), and I pay a guitar tech to adjust the action and clean the internals for me every 2 weeks($25). I have to buy new picks every 2 weeks because they degrade over time ($4 for 10, Dunlop Tortex). Thats if everything goes according to plan. You have to be prepared for equipment failure. I've seen my co-guitarists amp head catch fire first song in our set, drummer's tom tension-er break 2 hours before a set, microphones fail midway through, etc. This means we spend a lot of money and a lot of time and get nothing in return except that we get to play. This is how all musical acts start out. Britney Spears, Kanye, Soulja Boi, Taylor Swift, they all started out this way. So don't try to trivialize how far they've come. You will never know the kind of work it takes to get where these people are. I know the work it takes to be in a local band, but I couldn't tell you what its like to tour, and to have to coordinate shows in all different states. Let alone how hard it is to come up with new material while touring like this.
Well yea man, "Making it" is hard work. Some people who "made it today" probably sucked dick to get where they are. But that wasn't really what I was talking about. (IMO)I just don't appreciate how the people with no musical talent, or average talent can be made into something bigger than what they are. With the help of millions in advertising, and promotions and this and that.... That's pretty much my point. In my case man, my music is all love. I love making beats. It's a hobby. It's not work or me trying to make it and what not, I started a website for 10 bux a year that links to my free soundclick account and a couple of months ago I sent Immortal Techniques record label an Email with the link to my website and Him and 5 other staff members replied back saying they love my music and want to buy some tracks. So That's fucking huge for me. and I'm just a regular dude. It's like getting paid to play video games or something. But it works out differently for different people and genres.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378676

  • GH33DA
  • GH33DA's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 2073
  • Karma: 546
arefx;378408 wrote: LIES! IT'S ALL LIES! Ok Arfex, I'mma let you finish, but, here comes Lil' Mama uninvited. Oh, she's about to go off on that US Open Judge. White House denies calling him racist.
Valleys Of NeptuneBuckFarack187;366915 wrote:
I don\'t even know why I still try.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378677

  • JoEDigiTECH
  • JoEDigiTECH's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 6517
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 12
Oomba. I'm not attacking musical talent, motivation or drive to produce and perform said music. I'm just saying that industry fat cats have the power to manipulate production and distribution. It is that manipulation that I think is "rigged".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378678

  • LowVoltag3
  • LowVoltag3's Avatar
Oomba;378672 wrote:
Which is probably why Soulja Boy's sophomore album only sold 43,500 copies in its first week. However, that's 43,500 more than you have sold. So in the eyes of 43,500 people, he's a better musician than you. Music is not about technical prowess. If so people like Joe Satriani and Micheal Angelo Batio would be dominated the billboards. It's not. It's about making music people enjoy.Notes aren't off anyway, the rhythm gets ends phrasing with staccato notes.
bro at 0:44 he sings an Off note.....[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="www.youtube.com/v/r8b8I8umHbU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="www.youtube.com/v/r8b8I8umHbU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378710

  • Nut_Man
  • Nut_Man's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 3432
  • Karma: 10
I don't think anyone is forcing Soulja Boy down the throats of radio listeners. Sadly I think a lot of people want to hear him.
The administrator has disabled public write access.