Forum

TOPIC: Kanye West is officially a racist asshole.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 3 months ago #378580

  • LowVoltag3
  • LowVoltag3's Avatar
Oomba;378571 wrote:
You convince the record labels that you are marketable by being a good musician. Being a good musician means being markettable. Compare the amount of listeners Taylor Swift has to great bands like As I Lay Dying (Grammy award winner), or any number of other non pop bands. Of course the label is going to want to sign someone that can sell millions of records over some of these "underground" bands that could probably at best sell 400,000 with the same amount of coverage. How in the world is that rigged? If you're good you get noticed. If you promote the hell out of yourself, you get noticed. If you can't bring hundreds or thousands of fans into venues, noones gonna advance $20k to you, hire a producer, and pay a couple hundred thousand in distribution costs when you aren't going to be able to sell. Kanye got noticed for what he was doing and get signed because of that. How else would he?
LOL right. So many good musicians in the industry... I mean seriously dude, your Title reads, "doesn't even listen to FM radio..." I thought you would be smarter than this.... The big business conglomerates that own the major record labels CREATE these "musicians.." (more like characters) out of thin air. Not based on a god damn note of music. Most of the real talent in the industry are barely heard of... These "musicians" that you speak of don't even write, produce, sometimes they don't even sing their "own" songs.... There are only 3 genres in the "music industry", the one where the band of dudes look like gay people (not that there is anything wrong with that), one where the girl is dancing half naked, lip signing to an auto-tune composition, and one where the dude is throwing money around "like it ain't no thang". That's the music industry. That is only when it comes to POP music (radio, commercialized shit). Now of course there is always an independent market, which is gaining the most momentum, because people are realizing how retarded the corporate run music industry is. A lot of the industries "musicians" are actually hookers. They'll do anything for money. They get taken advantage of and played till they go insane. Right now Kanye is being taken advantage of in a major way. He's going to get thrown to the curb soon though.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 3 months ago #378582

  • Nut_Man
  • Nut_Man's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 3432
  • Karma: 10
I think a lot of musicians who made themselves who they are today, and write their own music, would be really insulted to see that people think they're all 'creations' like Hannah Montana.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 3 months ago #378585

  • LowVoltag3
  • LowVoltag3's Avatar
Nut_Man;378582 wrote:
I think a lot of musicians who made themselves who they are today, and write their own music, would be really insulted to see that people think they're all 'creations' like Hannah Montana.
I never said all. I said most. There are so many people that come and go in the industry, that no one remembers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 3 months ago #378587

BuckFarack187;378585 wrote:
I never said all. I said most. There are so many people that come and go in the industry, that no one remembers.
R.I.P. Harvey Danger
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 3 months ago #378598

  • Oomba
  • Oomba's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 3954
  • Karma: 0
BuckFarack187;378580 wrote:
LOL right. So many good musicians in the industry... I mean seriously dude, your Title reads, "doesn't even listen to FM radio..." I thought you would be smarter than this.... The big business conglomerates that own the major record labels CREATE these "musicians.." (more like characters) out of thin air. Not based on a god damn note of music. Most of the real talent in the industry are barely heard of... These "musicians" that you speak of don't even write, produce, sometimes they don't even sing their "own" songs.... There are only 3 genres in the "music industry", the one where the band of dudes look like gay people (not that there is anything wrong with that), one where the girl is dancing half naked, lip signing to an auto-tune composition, and one where the dude is throwing money around "like it ain't no thang". That's the music industry. That is only when it comes to POP music (radio, commercialized shit). Now of course there is always an independent market, which is gaining the most momentum, because people are realizing how retarded the corporate run music industry is. A lot of the industries "musicians" are actually hookers. They'll do anything for money. They get taken advantage of and played till they go insane. Right now Kanye is being taken advantage of in a major way. He's going to get thrown to the curb soon though.
That is, for the most part true. And not against my point. You say it's rigged because of those things, but thats not rigged. They don't build musicians out of thin air. There are a lot of artists who use their vocal talent and marketability(attractiveness) to sell songs they've bought from songwriters, who legitimately want to stay out of the limelight. However the makeup, stage production, music videos, album art, etc. are all designed to help convey the musicians personal style, and the style of their music. After gear is paid for, this is what the advances are spent on. Besides, its not like other genres never get signed. They just have to be good enough to stand out. Unfortunately, most of these "underground" bands that you guys think are so great, don't have as many people agreeing with you as you might think. Hell, Lamb of God, which toured for YEARS on under-labels eventually signed with major label EPIC and was nominated for a Grammy in 2007. They've been in the billboard, on shows like Conan, their music videos have been on MTV, FUSE, MTV2, etc. They've been given as many possibilities as pop bands, however when Wrath came out this year they sold way less albums then Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Kanye, all those acts do. It's because they don't have the mass appeal the pop genre does. So what do you want them to do, stop signing bands that the most amount of people will like, and that they won't profit from? Because they'll go bankrupt. Then they won't be able to afford to take risks on those "underground" acts you guys like so much (until they get signed, of course. Then they're part of the evil record label machine.) Then there will be no music industry. I'm not saying I like the system. I sure as hell don't listen to Kanye West, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, or any of these other god awful acts. But it's the listeners faults, not the record label. If more people had better taste in music (or rather, musical taste I agree with), then we'd get what we want.
-Oomba, M.D., Captain U.S. Army
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378603

  • DeadMan
  • DeadMan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 2263
  • Karma: 816
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378604

  • JUSTINFL
  • JUSTINFL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Level 10
  • Posts: 751
  • Karma: 10
I think this was all staged,MTV has a history at their award shows for staged stunts, remember at the last award show they had Bruno land on M&M's face.Rember how it turn out to be fake.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378617

  • Blackwolf
  • Blackwolf's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 5916
  • Karma: 2573
As a musician myself, I can tell you with certainty you cannot create a musician out of thin air. Even if you don't believe they are talented, many times they are - they are just playing songs you don't like. Just being able to play in time and in key takes talent, especially for a group that does perform live.If it didn't require talent and hard work, everyone would be a musician. Are you?
"Blackwolf tends to offend the same people all the time, he\'s got such a pattern it\'s almost funny. The whole spammer/think I\'m smart/argueing for arguement\'s sake clan tends to always end up at odds with Blackwolf." -BamBam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378634

  • JoEDigiTECH
  • JoEDigiTECH's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 6517
  • Thank you received: 4
  • Karma: 12
Oomba;378571 wrote:
You convince the record labels that you are marketable by being a good musician. Being a good musician means being marketable. Compare the amount of listeners Taylor Swift has to great bands like As I Lay Dying (Grammy award winner), or any number of other non pop bands. Of course the label is going to want to sign someone that can sell millions of records over some of these "underground" bands that could probably at best sell 400,000 with the same amount of coverage. How in the world is that rigged? If you're good you get noticed. If you promote the hell out of yourself, you get noticed. If you can't bring hundreds or thousands of fans into venues, noones gonna advance $20k to you, hire a producer, and pay a couple hundred thousand in distribution costs when you aren't going to be able to sell. Kanye got noticed for what he was doing and get signed because of that. How else would he?
When I say it's rigged I don't mean to imply that the whole industry is completely false. What I'm saying is that some artists have a better chance of succeeding based on their perceived marketablitiy. You can't make the one to one comparison between talent and marketablity in every case I think we agree. How else would you explain the likes of Brittany Spears and Soulja Boy? They both sold ass loads of records because their songs had mindless hooks and they prance around like puppets. In response to Blackwolf. No, I'm not a musician but I can assess the fact that some have achieved success disproportionate to their level of talent.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kanye West is officially a racist asshole. 10 years 2 months ago #378654

  • True
  • True's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 7502
  • Thank you received: 8
  • Karma: 952
I see myself more agreeing with Oomba, anyways that fact is, people DO go out and listen to these who some say have no talent but are selling bagillions (media and big corps play a big part but people buy the stuff), I can't knock their hustle. If you can do better, do so. What makes a less known artist better than an artist that was once less known but now has "made it"? The less you are known the better you are? That's why you aren't winning awards or making billions, no one knows who you are.
"Leave Luck to Heaven"- Nintendo
The administrator has disabled public write access.