Forum

TOPIC: In Moral Debate...

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377031

Many of you are probably aware of the debate surrounding Shadow Complex and its ties to author Orson Scott Card. Those who would like a better understanding of the situation should visit This Gamasutra article and This Kotaku article.Rather than focus on just this issue I thought it would be best to discuss whether at any time in your life a creator's belief has affected your view of a creator's work.Please try to keep the back and forth civil.
[gamercard]Detective Rocko[/gamercard]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377032

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Eh.. I dunno.. I'm rather partial to GayGamer's take on it. Buy the game, but donate to another cause to offset anything that might go to Card's pocket, which I can't imagine is all that much given his fairly minimal role.Fact is I've probably already bought plenty of games directly made by some homophobic bigots, they just aren't as high profile as this jackass. Game development is a group venture (unlike book writing), so it wouldn't necessarily be fair to deprive others of income, especially if they're decent people unlike Orson.I'm going to try out the demo, and if it's really good enough I'll buy it, but also give some money to Lambda Legal or another gay rights advocacy group.Boycott or not, I think it's absolutely necessary to point out what a hateful whackjob Orson Scott Card his so his reputation is deservedly tarnished. He put himself out there, so he's fair game for tarring and feathering.Also, both those articles tackled it pretty well, particularly the Gamasutra one. Thanks for sharing.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377039

enders game had hella homo overtones though- i'm pretty sure card is in the closet.good reading though. tbqh the game never really interested me before, but now i guess i can not buy it and care even less.

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377040

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Fuck, reading both articles gave me a headache. The point of the argument is simply retarded. It's like me saying I won't listen to AGI because Scot is a conspiracy theorist.I still listen to AGI BTW.

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377073

• Feelgood
  • Stage A - 1
Token White Guy;377040 wrote:
Fuck, reading both articles gave me a headache. The point of the argument is simply retarded. It's like me saying I won't listen to AGI because Scot is a conspiracy theorist.
Exactly the situation I was thinking of. Just because I disagree with the owner's views doesn't mean I won't listen to AGI or post on the forums. Same thing goes with Shadow Complex. I played the demo and liked it and will be purchasing the game despite Card's opinions.

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377077

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
It's not retarded. The articles weren't pushing for a boycott. They just brought all the views together. It's a legitimate discussion to have regardless of how little you want to think about it.It's not JUST his opinions, he actively gives money to campaigns to suppress people's rights. Would you have no problem buying a game that donated some of its proceeds to Hezbollah?Again I'm not for a boycott, but it's still something worth considering.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377193

• Decipher
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
"God" forbid people actually make an informed purchase for once in their lives.

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377195

• -Beck-
  • Stage A - 1
The demo was entertaining, but I suck at "Metroidvania" games something fierce. I won't be buying it. OSC's involvement had nothing to do with my purchase decision. Were I better at these games, I would buy it and donate the same amount to GLAAD or some such. I had no idea the guy was such an unruly bastard. I never had any interest in reading his work since it seemed boring to me anyway. Now I know I won't be reading anything he's written in my life and know that I'm probably better for it.

In Moral Debate... 10 years 7 months ago #377199

I still consider the Enders Game series a fantastic read, but it never leaves my mind that Card truly is the definition of a Bigot. I was always fine with reading his work because he never really broadcasted his more extreme views into his writing.His latest writings within the Empire universe( which Shadow Complex is very loosely based in) are perforated with his views. I find it troubling that he has progressed as such.
[gamercard]Detective Rocko[/gamercard]