Forum

TOPIC: New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368520

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
I'm not sure if you saw his profile picture, but I'd say that at least "suggests" it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368734

• Firecube
  • Level 10
Dr.Biscuit;368462 wrote:
Your myspace suggests you are in the army PLEASE go to my exercise thread!
If this wasn't the internet, I might've taken that as if someone spit in my face. Or maybe my sarcasm meter is busted again. Lemme check.
Noble and true, you are the hero other heroes aspire to be. You are a natural leader, selfless and kind, who will put the lives of others above your own, and are steadfast in your pursuit of justice.
Firecube\'s space....

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368750

• Reffy
  • Stage A - 1
I'm 100% for minority rights, hell I'm a member of the ACLU. However there is one apprehension I have regarding gay marriage and that is the re-definition of marriage. Firstly, I think that democratic government can only really work if it is almost entirely secular in nature. As such I think that marriage, being a loaded and religious term should be tossed out completely. I am now, and have been for a while in favor for all marriage under the law being redefined as civil unions, and for civil unions to be available to both gay and straight couples. This provides for equal protection under the law.I personally have no qualms with the term marriage being applied to gay couples. But a lot of people do, and plenty of these people aren't homophobes or anything of the sort. I for one have a degree of respect for that, even if I don't understand it.

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368756

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Why are you apprehensive of a "re-definition" of marriage, Reffy? It's early, so I admittedly may have missed it in your reply, but it's more than just the fact that there are some folks, apparently non-homophobes, who have a problem with it, right?

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368757

I don't think he's apprehensive of it, I think he really wants it a lot. Again, you're right, it's early. I could be reading it wrong too. FUCK WORK.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368759

• JoEDigiTECH
  • Thank you received: 4
I think what Reffy is trying to say is that the term Marriage has connotations of being a religious bond between a man and a woman for which a couple receive a Marriage Certificate from their state. So, in essence state and federal government shouldn't even issue Marriage Certificates but instead Civil Union Certificates. The whole term "Legally Married" seems to be the issue in all this. You don't and shouldn't need a certificate to consider yourself married to someone else. In the great state of New Hampshire all you pretty much have to do is have proof of ID to get a marriage certificate, so much marriage being a sacred bond between a man and a woman. People don't get marriage certificates to prove they are in love, they get marriage certificate because the government says you have to have one if you want to share benefits or have any claim to your significant other's estate.Reffy, if I screwed up my interpretation of what you said.... it's early. But I think you and I are of the same mind on this one.

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368780

• Flavius
  • Stage A - 1
Why not call it a marriage? I would assume that the primary goal is to be able to take advantage of the legally recognized relationship, so that you can obtain tax advantages, hospital visitation privileges, and the like. But that doesn't mean that we should treat the term "marriage" as some sacred word that should only be reserved for heterosexual couples.Why? Tradition? Religion? The law?Bullshit. Things change. You never set foot in the same stream twice. The law is dynamic, not static, and necessarily so. There are countless examples of tradition, religion, and the law changing and evolving along with society. They simply must, or they fail. Shit or get off the pot, I say. If you're giving all of the rights that go along with marriage, great, but to hold back on letting you use a fucking word to describe it is ludicrous, even if many of the people taking advantage of the new legally recognized relationship are exponentially more concerned over the rights granted, than the title itself.

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368784

• JoEDigiTECH
Flavius;368780 wrote:
Why not call it a marriage? I would assume that the primary goal is to be able to take advantage of the legally recognized relationship, so that you can obtain tax advantages, hospital visitation privileges, and the like. But that doesn't mean that we should treat the term "marriage" as some sacred word that should only be reserved for heterosexual couples.Why? Tradition? Religion? The law?Bullshit. Things change. You never set foot in the same stream twice. The law is dynamic, not static, and necessarily so. There are countless examples of tradition, religion, and the law changing and evolving along with society. They simply must, or they fail. Shit or get off the pot, I say. If you're giving all of the rights that go along with marriage, great, but to hold back on letting you use a fucking word to describe it is ludicrous, even if many of the people taking advantage of the new legally recognized relationship are exponentially more concerned over the rights granted, than the title itself.
Dictionary.comMarriage- n. The social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.Dood, I didn't write it, I copied and paste it.My definition:Marriage- n. My spouse is family and family comes first. Flavius, I don't disagree with you, the rights are what's important. As far as I'm concerned people can call their relationships whatever they want. I can care less what the government calls my relationship. A marriage certificate can be renamed "Exhibit A" tomorrow and that would change what I call my relationship with my wife. I made a promise to her.

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368791

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this all exactly the reason gay marriage is called gay marriage? to distinguish itself from "traditional" marriage?i figured this was an intentional pr plug and was meant not to infringe upon "traditional" marriage, but rather to coexist with it.

New Poll Finds More Americans Support Gay Marriage Than Oppose It 10 years 5 months ago #368793

• JoEDigiTECH
quashpdarkman;368791 wrote:
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this all exactly the reason gay marriage is called gay marriage? to distinguish itself from "traditional" marriage?i figured this was an intentional pr plug and was meant not to infringe upon "traditional" marriage, but rather to coexist with it.
I think it has to do with the amount of headline space in papers and the need for quick sound bites and graphics for TV as opposed to calling it what it is, "Americans still fighting for Equal Rights".