Forum

TOPIC: Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized?

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13716

  • arefx
  • arefx's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 4951
  • Karma: 954
Well we all know video games get a bad rap from violence and sex.....I think there are a lot of factors you need to keep in mind when you talk about this.Here are some facts:Some major stores wont sell M rated games, yet they sell R rated movies that depict sex and violence.Having violence in the media doesn't make you violent, Canada has the same shows and games as we do, and more than half of canadian households have a gun, yet there are only around 11 murders by gun in Canada, in America less than half have guns, yet there are over 11,000 murders by gun. Could it be that its our genes that make us more violent?Most of americans have learning disabilities, they say this may be because the people who first moved over to america had learnign disabilities, which is why they wanted to "break away from the rules there" and move somewhere without them, could such disabilities cause americans more than others to be violent? Are video games just the medias scapegoat?If you ask me, videogames have absolutly nothing to do with it. It is usually bad parenting, or someone who needs mental help.disclamer: some of these facts might be off a little.
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13723

  • Zorn
  • Zorn's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage B - 3
  • Posts: 1060
  • Karma: 384
America is a meltingpot built from hundreds of diferent cultures.That might have something to do with it, not to mention our population is nealy 10x bigger than Canada's.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13724

  • arefx
  • arefx's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 4951
  • Karma: 954
Zorn wrote:
America is a meltingpot built from hundreds of diferent cultures.That might have something to do with it, not to mention our population is nealy 10x bigger than Canada's.
10x11= 110, still a hell fo a lot less gun killings than the US. Also, yes since America is a meltingpot of cultures, that jsut makes more tension, I think this is one of the things the media could say arent a factor and use videogames as the reason for violence, all because they don't want to admit there are problems between different racial and ethnic backgrounds that need to be fixed.
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13726

  • Arandar
  • Arandar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 5024
  • Karma: 1345
arefx wrote:
disclamer: some of these facts might be off a little.
Heh I found this part really funny. :razz: Anyway popular entertainment has always been a scapegoat for bad parenting and other various excuses. I mean first it was books I believe, that one by Salnger I think his name was Cather in the Rye I think, some kid read it before in high school and killed himself so then it was banned in all hs I believe. Well I read it and I didn't kill myself. Next it was music, I mean I think we can all remember how rebellious The Beatles were. Damn that loud and satanic music! Then it went on to movies/tv being blamed for little johnny doing something stupid. Like that dumbass 10 year old, or maybe younger, who burnt his house down after watching Beavis and Butthead. I mean what the hell are you letting a 10 year old watch Beavis and Butthead for in the first place? Now its video games since they have gotten more popular. I mean lets look at the numbers, about 6 million or so(I forget the exact number) copies of GTA3 have been sold, yet as far as I know only 2 brothers have ever gone out and killed anyone over it. Forget the fact that Walmart It hink it was sold the game to underage kids(14 and 16), forget the fact that their parents decided to leave their shotgun lying around, and forget the fact that the millions upon million of other people who bought/played the game haven't gone out and hurt anyone. Its quite simple really: stupid people do stupid things, regardless of what form of entertainment they prefer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13760

Arandar wrote:
Heh I found this part really funny. :razz: Anyway popular entertainment has always been a scapegoat for bad parenting and other various excuses. I mean first it was books I believe, that one by Salnger I think his name was Cather in the Rye I think, some kid read it before in high school and killed himself so then it was banned in all hs I believe. Well I read it and I didn't kill myself. Next it was music, I mean I think we can all remember how rebellious The Beatles were. Damn that loud and satanic music! Then it went on to movies/tv being blamed for little johnny doing something stupid. Like that dumbass 10 year old, or maybe younger, who burnt his house down after watching Beavis and Butthead. I mean what the hell are you letting a 10 year old watch Beavis and Butthead for in the first place? Now its video games since they have gotten more popular. I mean lets look at the numbers, about 6 million or so(I forget the exact number) copies of GTA3 have been sold, yet as far as I know only 2 brothers have ever gone out and killed anyone over it. Forget the fact that Walmart It hink it was sold the game to underage kids(14 and 16), forget the fact that their parents decided to leave their shotgun lying around, and forget the fact that the millions upon million of other people who bought/played the game haven't gone out and hurt anyone. Its quite simple really: stupid people do stupid things, regardless of what form of entertainment they prefer.
Great points. We're surrounded by violence in all forms of media. What's the #1 flick AvP (the #2 is the Princess Diaries, I'd hate to think about the violence that would result from being forced to only watch flicks like that). There's stories and images of violence in the daily news. The gov of California made tons of money of violence-based films. Hell, this fall there's going to 3 @#$%ing CSI shows on CBS. How many Law & Order shows are out there. How many fights/attacks/etc have been launched because of a look - "Hey man, he looked at me funny so that means he's disrespecting me", etc. How many kids see their dads beat the shit out of their wives? As Arandar pointed out, what about the weapons that parents don't take time to secure. What about the parents themselves? They don't take the time to see what their kids are doing or playing. What about the WWF? What about boxing. Hell, what about baseball, how many times have you watched a baseball game and it suddenly turned into Ultimate Fighting? The only difference between these things and video games, is that video games are interactive and that makes it an easy target for critics. This is just another aspect of human nature. The Romans had the Colossum (sp?) and we've got a ton of other diviersions.Arandar wrote:
Its quite simple really: stupid people do stupid things, regardless of what form of entertainment they prefer.
That about sums it up.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin"The cost of failure is not that a saber-toothed tiger eats you... the cost of failure is nothing. The worst thing that will happen is that you will fail and no one will notice." - Seth Godin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13797

arefx wrote:
Having violence in the media doesn't make you violent, Canada has the same shows and games as we do, and more than half of canadian households have a gun, yet there are only around 11 murders by gun in Canada, in America less than half have guns, yet there are over 11,000 murders by gun. Could it be that its our genes that make us more violent?
Michael Moore? Is that you? Though even Moore didn't claim such a ridiculously low number for Canadian gun murders.Why bother proposing a point when you don't know the facts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13830

  • Carps
  • Carps's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 3
  • Posts: 1349
  • Karma: 1668
From IGN's Xbox Site...OH MY GOD. I think this pretty much follows the point of the thread well..August 18, 2004 - According to a report by the Canadian newspaper Windsor Star, transit advertisements for the GameCube version of Prince of Persia have been pulled from the city after a woman complained that they had frightened her child. Collette Clairmont's son Tristan refused to ride any bus that featured the ad, the paper reported. Two different advertisements for the game spotlighted its main character and hero in a menacing pose with a sword in his hand, and the other with a gun. (This, despite the fact that Prince does not actually use a gun in the game.) Transit Windsor removed the ads from buses after Clairmont placed seven different calls of complaint to the operation. "It's about time," Clairmont told the paper. "I am shocked something like that is even on the bus. Tristan has had nightmares about them, saying he sees the man with the gun. It is sending the wrong message to kids," said Clairmont. "I don't even let my kids have a butter knife." Prince of Persia was released last year for GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox. The title earned a Teen rating by the ESRB for violence, suggestive themes and some blood. However, all three elements were considered subdued in comparison to more violent software like Manhunt and Grand Theft Auto 3: Vice City by the majority of critics and gamers. The mother did not add: "First this, and just yesterday that terrifying Oscar from Sesame Street. My kids are afraid to open their eyes." "They should be more careful what they're advertising because transit caters to kids as well," said Transit Windsor bus rider Betty Riley. "And they wonder why our jails are full and where these kids get these ideas from." That was a real quote. Riley did not go on to say: "In fact, it's because of games like this that the kids today are running through the streets with swords in their hands and doing acrobatics."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13838

  • Andr3
  • Andr3's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Level 4
  • Posts: 153
  • Karma: 139
Carps wrote:
The mother did not add: "First this, and just yesterday that terrifying Oscar from Sesame Street. My kids are afraid to open their eyes."
:roll:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13894

  • MusicFan
  • MusicFan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage A - 1
  • Posts: 1834
  • Karma: 382
I could care less whether a game is M or E, it just has to be good. Just because a game has sex, violence, drugs, etc. doesn't mean it will be a good game, in fact in some cases that could even make the game worse.
Psychonauts - The Greatest Game EVER! - Coming April 19th, The National Holiday Known As "The Release Of The Excellent Game Psychonauts Day"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Do you think violence in video and sex games is over critisized? 15 years 7 months ago #13905

  • Duality
  • Duality's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Stage B - 1
  • Posts: 1276
  • Karma: 1014
arefx wrote:
disclamer: some of these facts might be off a little.
Just a bit. I'm hoping you're using hyperbole when you say that most Americans have learning disabilities. Honestly, I'd wager closer to 10-20%.But that's not the point of the topic.Regarding violent videogames and its corrolation with violent people:People who perform "studies" are most often looking at the relation to how many video game players commit violent crimes. They fail to look at the relation of how violent people are attracted to violent video games.Though I won't dispute the claims that video games can cause children to become more aggressive. I've known many kids, by anecdotal experience, who reacted in exactly that way after playing action-oriented video games, not just OMGULTRAVIOLENCE games.
The administrator has disabled public write access.