Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: Windows XP Service Pack 2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10844

• InnerLogic
  • Stage A - 1
AliasOfWestgate wrote:
I'm sticking with SP1 for now, with all the reports of how it's been "breaking programs on the systems." Programs on the computers stop working, etc. (though just on tech sites, I've not read any specifics.)
I Had (sorry, had "hate" before, woops) the beta version of SP2 and it did not crash any programs on my computer (There could be however, but from what I can tell it was fine). I liked the extra things in SP2, although I still won't be using the updated IE browser.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10845

I'm gonna wait a week or so and see if any issues arise with SP2 and my games and apps.
"It's like they deep fried delicious goodness and squared it... into a triangle." (BloodShotRobot, PAX08 )
"[Optimus] Prime is like Jack Bauer without all the issues" (Redmond, AGI Episode 211)

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10856

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
I'm going to wait for sp5 for win2k, since I don't got xp :D

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10949

Cool.
Sweet.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10969

• MusicFan
  • Stage A - 1
It seems that SP2 is fucking up my computer.
Psychonauts - The Greatest Game EVER! - Coming April 19th, The National Holiday Known As "The Release Of The Excellent Game Psychonauts Day"

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #11006

One problem is that Internet Connection Firewall is enabled when you install the service pack. While ICF is a good idea, it closes all ports except those for IE (which I think is 8080.) If other programs use other ports, they'll have problems, and you'll have to tweek the port openings to make sure they work.Some issues I've read on the net (most are company issues)
"Just this week, for example, the company disclosed that a version of its customer-relationship management software for businesses won't run properly after installing the service pack without also installing special updates and manually changing the configuration of the software."
"I work with a CRM finance program named Made2Manage. We were informed by them that this service pack breaks the connection between them and SQL. We have heard the same thing from another software vendor for a SQL based e-mail system."
(an other internet site) heard of problems with SP2 for machines with the ZoneAlarm firewall installed.
Confliction with DivX 5.2Windows XP SP2 could break existing applications from Computerworld.com...
Windows XP SP2 is more than the usual roll-up of bug fixes and updates. It's also being used to make significant changes to the software that are designed to improve security. These changes can render applications inoperable, Microsoft said.
XP SP2: Do's & Don'ts For Web Sites
If you manage a Web site that uses ActiveX controls, file downloads, pop-up windows or the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM), chances are you will need to tweak your code to deal with the new security features in Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
I'm waiting a while to hear more about it before I d/l it.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #11121

• Duality
  • Stage B - 1
AliasOfWestgate wrote:
One problem is that Internet Connection Firewall is enabled when you install the service pack. While ICF is a good idea, it closes all ports except those for IE (which I think is 8080.) If other programs use other ports, they'll have problems, and you'll have to tweek the port openings to make sure they work.
Then its a good thing that you can disable the ICF. ;)They have it enabled by default because a lot of tech professionals complain that much of Microsoft's insecurity comes not from the lack of feature implementation, but that these features are disabled by default. Any other operating system works in the exact opposite manner.The CRM thing doesn't surprise me. But no company should be rolling out any service packs without first testing it with their software library.DivX 5.2 could be an issue, but I've never had problems. And I don't have any problems with security features breaking ActiveX controls and the like. The reason I stopped using IE-based browsers was because of those security holes. I place blame wholely on Microsoft and people who only design websites with Internet Explorer in mind. If people would conform more to W3C design standards, instead of the convenience and insecure "toys" that Microsoft has built, then we wouldn't have these problems.
  • Page: