Forum

• Page:

TOPIC: Windows XP Service Pack 2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10715

• Duality
  • Stage B - 1
Microsoft has released the final version of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Home/Pro/Media Center.For those who aren't as tech savvy as the rest of us, you can find information here regarding what new features it provides. I highly suggest for anyone to grab this update, as it adds a lot of security features that were either missing or sorely lacking in previous versions of XP.Also, there's a new UXtheme patch available to allow for custom Visual Styles with the latest build (replace the file with this tool will allow you to replace Windows system files).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10716

• DeadMan
  • Stage A - 1
Yes you should get it, but that is for network admins installing it on multiple computers. Microsoft said there will be a smaller one for home single computer users shortly.
[Gamercard]Deadmanerz[/Gamercard] Origin and Battlelog: ColCake

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10726

• Duality
  • Stage B - 1
Its all the same release. This will just download the full 266MB.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10732

• arefx
  • Stage A - 1
os x is still better... except I dont use it, the whole gamming issue... :"|
EvilWall wrote:
One of my best friends always tells me, "If you want a girl to stay with you, you have to eat her ass".
The Matrix;288931 wrote:
fuckin\' brit teeth eating sno-shit, jesus man
This post posted via rooted and overclocked droid x running at 1,345Mhz undervolted with LIBERTY 1.5 and adw.launcher ex through xscope pro

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10752

• Raghnall
  • Level 9
i never install the updates because i usually have to end up reformatting my hard drive every couple of months. maybe someday, when i actually have a stable system i will finally get to.
i keep the wolf from the doorbut he calls me upcalls me on the phonetells me all the ways that he\'s gonna mess me upsteal all my childrenif i don\'t pay the ransombut i\'ll never see him againif i squeal to the cops

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10756

• MusicFan
  • Stage A - 1
Duality wrote:
Its all the same release. This will just download the full 266MB.
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download will be available soon on Windows Update. To receive this download, turn on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP to receive an optimized download of SP2. Please visit Protect Your PC for more information on receiving Windows XP SP2.
What about that? I'm confused.
Psychonauts - The Greatest Game EVER! - Coming April 19th, The National Holiday Known As "The Release Of The Excellent Game Psychonauts Day"

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10760

• Reffy
  • Stage A - 1
I'm not going to Download it untill the final version comes out for two big reason. SP2 is meant to be installed on computers that haven't gotten any windows updates post XP SP1. Being the good boy I am, I've downloaded almost(msn messenger...ick) all of the updates. Not only did they say this on their site, but it brings me to my second big reason.Allthough I'm only 15 I'm familar with Microsoft's style, and therefore - whenever I install something from Microsoft I allways put it on a secondary or some junk computer I dont really care all that much about. After about 2 years of doing this....This update completely fucked up my laptop (which also has almost all the updates), I mean really f-ed up. It was working great before, and after...well it's almost impossible to do anything. I'm almost on the edge of reformating it. Thanks, I'll wait.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10774

SP2 is considered a "smart download" meaning that if you use Auto-update, it will update your system as needed. It won't download everything then only use what it needs (supposedly...we'll see.)I'm sticking with SP1 for now, with all the reports of how it's been "breaking programs on the systems." Programs on the computers stop working, etc. (though just on tech sites, I've not read any specifics.)I'd rather let other people deal with it first, then d/l it as I need.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10814

• Duality
  • Stage B - 1
MusicFan wrote:
What about that? I'm confused.
Basically what DeadMan said. They don't really want every consumer to download 266MB because that's a lot of bandwidth. They'll have a scaled-down release via Windows Update up for the consumers.Their wording is a bit overstating.Reffy wrote:
I'm not going to Download it untill the final version comes out for two big reason. SP2 is meant to be installed on computers that haven't gotten any windows updates post XP SP1.
Eh? Even though service packs include all of the updates (including those of previous service packs), they only install the items that aren't already found on the system.What I would suggest doing is creating a slipstream version of your Windows install disc (provided you're not using a system restore from an OEM). I've found that slipstream versions just work better all around.But I suggest this sort of update for everyone because a lot of people are still using Internet Explorer. They still have ActiveX items running without their notice. One of the updates is a lock-down in what IE runs and gives access to by default. Thereby reducing the chance of becoming infected with computer viruses.AliasOfWestgate wrote:
I'm sticking with SP1 for now, with all the reports of how it's been "breaking programs on the systems." Programs on the computers stop working, etc. (though just on tech sites, I've not read any specifics.)
I have yet to hear anyone have any issues with SP2. What sort of programs do they have issues with?

Windows XP Service Pack 2 15 years 3 months ago #10839

• MusicFan
  • Stage A - 1
I have my anti-virus software(Norton) on and up-to-date, but why is Security Center saying "Check Status".
Psychonauts - The Greatest Game EVER! - Coming April 19th, The National Holiday Known As "The Release Of The Excellent Game Psychonauts Day"
  • Page: