Forum

TOPIC: Epic fail

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358919

• eswat
  • Stage A - 1
I just wanted to use the title.
It seems that the DRM on Gears of War came with a built-in shut off date: the digital certificate for the game was only good until January 28, 2009. Now that the game fails to work unless you adjust your system's clock, what's Epic's response? "We're working on it."
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/01/pc-gears-of-war-drm-causes-title-to-shut-down-starting-today.ars
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358923

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Steam it Epic.

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358957

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Wow.. Talk about disastrous and inexcusable. Pretty retarded DRM (yeah that's redundant) too if it can be worked around with just a clock change.It's just total bullshit to implement a scheme that obviously even the developers fail to understand in order to ONLY punish those who actually paid for the damn thing.
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358960

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
Aren't digital certificates like this on almost every piece of Windows software?

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358963

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
The papers are all signed, the cars yours! *throws keys*-2 years later-"MY BREAKS ARE OUT SUDDENLY" *GIGANTIC, MURDEROUS, BLOODY AND UNFORGIVABLE CAR WRECK.*DRM.

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358966

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Ezekiel;358963 wrote:
The papers are all signed, the cars yours! *throws keys*-2 years later-"MY BREAKS ARE OUT SUDDENLY" *GIGANTIC, MURDEROUS, BLOODY AND UNFORGIVABLE CAR WRECK.*DRM.
Fight Club had DRM?

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #358968

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
Nut_Man;358960 wrote:
Aren't digital certificates like this on almost every piece of Windows software?
Eh? No, thankfully not.. Now if the "Trusted Computing" initiative had its way on the other hand..
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Epic fail 10 years 8 months ago #359034

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
From Kotaku:
Rein said online cheat detection features in Gears of War for Windows are based on digital signatures. "We made an embarassing mistake," he said. "We signed the executable with a certificate that expired in a way that broke the game."Rein said Epic is working with Microsoft to re-sign the binaries properly, and they "hope to have this fixed very soon."We know how much this situation sucks, and we apologize for the inconvenience," he said.I just like hearing an executive speaking in my language, for once. This isn't merely inconvenient — leaving the remote control in the kitchen is inconvenient. This sucks. Woo-hoo for calling it like it is, although he still calls it inconvenient, I guess because it's not a matter of personal safety.Meantime, Rein suggests backdating your computer's clock to a date before today in order to play Gears of War.