Forum

TOPIC: Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing)

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355096

• GH33DA
  • Stage A - 1
Remember making boot disks just to get the ram and drivers setup just right so you could play a game? I had several, as one didn't work for all my games. Remember how autoexec.bat and config.sys became your only gateway to gaming? I used to know how to set those things up by heart. Remember setting up your modem and network files to play a game with one other person? I remember needing to call over the phone to get the setting right, then, hanging up and dialing up to connect several times in one night. Once upon a time PC gaming was hard. You had to know things about PCs that most PC owners just didn't know. This made the people who played PC games a small and knowledgeable group. They were almost elite, in a sense. ;) Eventually, things got simpler. And soon, it became incredibly easy to play games as well as connect with each other to play them. So, the small circle of PC gamers grew into a massive force. But, in the process, PC gamers lost the closeness that bonded them. The talks about high level ram among gamers at PC hardware shows gradually turned into post on publisher's FAQ pages. The verbal discussions about DOS configurations faded into chat room quips about being a noob. The night long calls between multiplayer gamers withered into forum posts demanding a new patch.PC gamers used to get to know one another well because of the difficulties of gaming. Now, it's like there's only a pseudo bond between gamers. We don't really know each other, we just share similar gamer news events and bugs. This still makes for interesting conversations, but, it's really not the same level of interaction as the old days of PC gaming.
Valleys Of NeptuneBuckFarack187;366915 wrote:
I don\'t even know why I still try.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355154

So things aren't as tight knit as they used to be, so what? If there's an error you get, you don't have to call someone who might know what the error might be or call customer service of the people that made the game and wait on hold for hours until you get an answer that might or might not work, you just google it. You're basically saying that redundancy is gone in PC gaming. I don't mind one bit, haha. Yeah, the days of DOS and bootdisk drivers are over. Yeah, I'll miss them, but good riddance. I sure as hell don't take clicking on Steam and connecting to a friend's game instantly for granite. I remember the days of having to make constant calls just in hopes of landing in someone's game or having to ghetto rig a network out of serial cables to connect two computers. Looking back on it, it was hilarious. Thinking back on actually doing it, it was more of an annoyance.It seems like you're not dealing with the right people. The people from the old days are still around, and there's people popping up with near as much knowhow all the time. You can still find people who know what they're talking about, it's just few and far between. I got a few buddies that use their PCs as a hobby to do mods more than a game machine. It's a little ridiculous to think gaming nowadays doesn't require some knowledge outside of double clicking an icon. To anyone that says that, go try to play Gothic 3.

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355161

• Nut_Man
  • Stage A - 1
You'd be surprised at the number of weird problems people still run into. I couldn't launch Warcraft III recently because some codec I had was interfering with the start up cinematic. So I had to go rename the file with the movies in it so the game couldn't recognize it and thus couldn't try to play the movie. Took me a few hours to figure out that band aid solution.

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355189

• GH33DA
  • Stage A - 1
I've failed at what I was trying to do here. It's not the errors or the hardship I miss at all. It's the level of intellect and interaction between gamers I miss. The problems were just supposed to be an illustration. Nevermind.
Valleys Of NeptuneBuckFarack187;366915 wrote:
I don\'t even know why I still try.

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355204

• Burr
  • Thank you received: 6
I still mostly game with a closeknit group of extremely tech knowledgeable friends (mostly fellow furries) it's just that we're all much farther apart than the local BBS's I used to dial up every night. I never really got into purely anonymous multiplayer gaming myself. It's just not as fun if I don't know anyone beforehand and what they're like outside of the game. So I don't know.. I don't feel much of a difference except now I don't have to fuck around with stupid shit just to get a game going. Back in those days I was still doing more of my gaming on an Amiga, where you just plopped the disk in the drive and it just fucking worked, so I was mostly laughing at the IBM PC gamers, who had to deal with crappier graphics and sound in the first place. Only when Doom, X-Wing, etc. came out did the tide begin to turn..
Co-host of Cat & Fox on AllGames.com!

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355601

• Mayor Young
  • Administrator
I feel you GH33DA. Though I wasn't much of a PC gamer I do remember what it was like before gaming became 'mainstream.' When it wasn't the cool thing to do you found kindred spirits and relished in your hobby, because you knew it was only a select few that would understand and participate in it like you did. That closeness isn't gone necessarily but you definitely have to wade through the ocean of BS to find it amidst the masses.

Lowering the bar (I miss that old thing) 10 years 10 months ago #355609

• EvilWall
  • Stage A - 1
I miss the good old Shadow Warrior games over the network in highschool.
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.