Forum

TOPIC: Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted)

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354253

Burr;354198 wrote:
Eh from what I've read by most of the more snooty audio types, Creative sound cards and drivers still do a lot in software/CPU and don't really accelerate anything. It mostly sounds cleaner because its outputs are away from the interference of the motherboard. So if you're in the mindset of wanting something that "just works" instead of fighting your setup, it's something that can be done without. Then again I've never been a huge sound buff so..
Going from an onboard to a dedicated card, you can tell if you're using good speakers/headphones. I know I could tell going from a crappy onboard to an old Creative card on my ATH-A900s and loudspeakers. As for performance, yeah, it's pretty iffy. But the performance gain in games on my old rig was more than that of going from a single card to SLI so ha. :PToken White Guy;354199 wrote:
I ordered it about 10 minutes ago. It should be at my door this coming thursday or friday. Thank you for the advice guys.
Nice, let us know how it runs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354260

• C0lin
  • Stage A - 1
The soundcard I'm using is having some issues, so I don't use it. The thing is so quiet when the speakers are plugged in, and I can't remember how I fixed it.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354267

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
  • Thank you received: 1
Gene Starwind;354253 wrote:
Going from an onboard to a dedicated card, you can tell if you're using good speakers/headphones. I know I could tell going from a crappy onboard to an old Creative card on my ATH-A900s and loudspeakers. As for performance, yeah, it's pretty iffy. But the performance gain in games on my old rig was more than that of going from a single card to SLI so ha. :PNice, let us know how it runs.
I kind of got a hard-on for the new video cards and chose the 280s. I figured if I buy the 280s I wouldn't need to upgrade it for quite some time. I went with the 1.5 TB HDD like you said but I'm worried about its speed. And you were right, the keyboard, and mouse you suggested looked more comfortable. I also changed the case from something gody looking to the sleek black look of the Ikonik Zaria A20 aluminum tower.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354268

• Ezekiel
  • Stage A - 1
Gene, I agree that using a soundcard can definitely improve performance, but lately (past few years) Creative soundcards have been bombing with driver performance, and even just driver installation. I got a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy from ibuypower with my computer when I ordered it, and it's given me nothing but trouble. Checking out the internet for a general consensus definitely showed something wrong with Creative's sound cards.Sound cards are good, but Creatives aren't. They've been nothing but a headache for me and a truckload of other people out there, so I can only hope you didn't get one in your rig, Token!Btw, what were the final specs and price on your rig?

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354272

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
Ezekiel;354268 wrote:
Gene, I agree that using a soundcard can definitely improve performance, but lately (past few years) Creative soundcards have been bombing with driver performance, and even just driver installation. I got a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy from ibuypower with my computer when I ordered it, and it's given me nothing but trouble. Checking out the internet for a general consensus definitely showed something wrong with Creative's sound cards.Sound cards are good, but Creatives aren't. They've been nothing but a headache for me and a truckload of other people out there, so I can only hope you didn't get one in your rig, Token!Btw, what were the final specs and price on your rig?
I chose the standard sound card. The last thing I wanted was to put up with troubled hardware.My final specs are below. My final price was $4,363.15. I know some of you are going to complain over it but I'm choosing the hardware that I think is going to last me 4 or 5 years, maybe longer. I used an Ibuypower coupon and it paid for shipping.Case ( Ikonik Zaria A20 Aluminum Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black )Case Lighting ( None )Power Supply ( 850 Watt -- Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850w Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )Processor ( [New !!] Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor 965 (4x 3.2GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )Free Software/Game ( Free Game - [FARCRY 2] must purchase with Intel Core i7 system )Processor Cooling ( [$10 OFF Mail-In Rebate] [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )Motherboard ( MSI Eclipse SLI Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Three PCI-E MB )Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module Corsair Value or Major Brand )Video Card ( 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video - running SLI mode )Video Card Brand ( === High Performance === eVGA Brand Video Cards [SLI enabled] Powered by NVIDIA )Hard Drive ( 1.5 TB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 32M Cache] )2nd Hard Drive ( None )External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony Black )CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG GGW-H20L BLU-RAY Re-Writer & DVD±R/±RW Burner Internal Combo Drive Black --- [reads and burns High Definition Blu-Ray discs, as well as DVD and CD formats] )Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )Speaker System ( Logitech X-240 2.1 Configuration Speakers System )Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )Floppy Drive ( None )Monitor ( LCD Monitor Sceptre 24" LCD 16:9 Wide Screen HDTV Video & PC Monitor Support Resolution 1920x1200 [Black] )2nd Monitor ( None )Keyboard ( Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard )Mouse ( Logitech G9 Laser Gaming Mouse Black )USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )Meter Display ( None )Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 64-Bit )Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner ( None )USB Flash Drive ( None )MP3 Player ( None )Video Camera ( None )Headset ( None )Power Protection ( None )Printer ( None )External Wireless Network Adapter ( Netgear WG311 802.11g 54Mbps PCI Adapter )Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) [RUSH !!!], Ship Out in Next Business Day )Hopefully I'll be able to post some screenshots on wednesday or thursday. I'll be getting the Crysis collection for Christmas.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354301

Now that is a machine.Don't worry about the HDD's speed, it has higher bandwidth than the Raptor.

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354305

Funnydale;354179 wrote:
Wrong and wrong.
Any reasons...?edit: nvm, he went ahead and got the blu ray LOL YES
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/kareeji/arrowheadsig.jpg?t=1268771428
Twitter: hifibryYoutube: kareeji

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354409

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
I got an email saying my 850 watt power supply was too low or inefficient so they delayed my order. I'm calling them now. :mad:

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354412

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
For the love of God, they have asian people singing Christmas carols! This is torture. "Re rish you a merry Christmars."

Help me customize my rig (Gurus wanted) 10 years 11 months ago #354415

• Token White Guy
  • Stage A - 1
Fucking bullshit. I needed to upgrade to 1000 watt power supply. I don't even know if my standard outlet can handle 1000 watts. Then they want me to send them a picture ID with the credit card information. I just might cancel my order and not fuck a PC ever again.